2014 STAGE CUSTOM, better than ever?

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
2014 YAMAHA STAGE CUSTOM upgraded with 8 ply kick, thicker ply toms, ABSOLUTE lugs (one mounting screw), 10x7" tom, upgraded bass drum spurs, die cast claws, 10 lug snare. Same price!

Arguably the best value for the money kit out there, a lacquered kit for $600 (shell pak)!

WOW!

What out there that compete$ with YAMAHA's latest STAGE CUSTOM?

I agree! The quality of drums in this price range have certainly improved in recent years but of all the options in this price range, Stage Customs are the best in terms of hardware and build quality. I'm not so sure I like the updated tom mounts on the 2014 kits compared to the previous version, but then again I haven't seen it in person to make a better comparison.

I guess they had to do something since they lost their shell builder, but those look nice. And the price is right.
I also like the 20, 10, 12, 14 model as well.

I agree! The quality of drums in this price range have certainly improved in recent years but of all the options in this price range, Stage Customs are the best in terms of hardware and build quality. I'm not so sure I like the updated tom mounts on the 2014 kits compared to the previous version, but then again I haven't seen it in person to make a better comparison.

I agree about concern over the tom mounts. It is still the YESS system design, but if you look closely at the two top screws anchoring the YESS device to the shell, there is a difference between the Live Customs and Stage Customs, I think. The Stage Customs look to have a longer metal contraption fastened to the shell, kind of like the Live Customs (though the LC mount contraption does not seem as thick or longish as the SCs). And when you compare the top two screws of the SCs and LCs to the new Absolute Hybrid--big difference: the top two screws are anchored to the shell with smaller-sized footprint screws encased in rubber grommets. This will affect the tom tom resonance quite a bit.

I still agree that the new SCs are a great, improved value/kit, but I don't know why Yamaha altered the screw-size footprint on the YESS device--it is bigger than the previous design (2000-2009) found on Absolutes and RCs.

Arguably the best value for the money kit out there, a lacquered kit for $600 (shell pak)!
Astonishing really, when you consider the production cost is likely somewhere around $200 to get to that retail price. How they're made for that kind of money, I'm not sure. You can buy unbranded shell packs of near identical construction direct Asia manufacturer for that price on the open market too. Astounding!

All said, compared to 10 years ago, the choice of completely gig viable kits for very little money (considering what you get) has come a long way.

I also think it's worth noting that in most situations, you get the Yamaha 700 hardware pack with Stage Custom kits -- virtually the best hardware out there for the price point, and extremely gigworthy. I've owned my Yamaha hardware for nearly 20 years with no issues whatsoever!

I also think it's worth noting that in most situations, you get the Yamaha 700 hardware pack with Stage Custom kits -- virtually the best hardware out there for the price point, and extremely gigworthy. I've owned my Yamaha hardware for nearly 20 years with no issues whatsoever!

I've seen a few places with an altered pricing strategy on the new series, like this.
http://www.ruppsdrums.com/category/Yamaha-Stage-Custom-Birch-Drums-972

You can still get the shell pack at the same older price (around 650).
If you pay the old higher price (around 899), it comes with 600 series hardware.
Then, for a small amount more, you get the 700 series.

One thing I really like is that the prices for component drums have dropped a little bit.
They're even more affordable now. If, for instance, you buy a set and want to add a different size bass drum or another floor tom, it's very doable - nice.

I like that they've cut the toms down. Looks much nicer with the new gear too.

Yep, tested them recently and yes, fantastic kits. I guess we will get the same as a maple version next year?!

First hand experience.... they are SOOOOOOOOO nice!

They are cool. I ordered a white kit with 20", not cuz I needed it, did it cuz its such a great deal/value for the scratch. I'll put some S-HOOPS on them and use them as a beater kit, FT on a snare stand and go.

Anyone not educated in drum gear of the sort will see these drums and think they're hi end stuff, plus STAGE CUSTOM QC/fit is excellent.

I hope the Absolute lugs fix the tuning problems of previous SCs. The only complaint I've ever heard about the old SCs was frequent detuning of toms and snare.

If I had a bit of extra dough, I would consider getting a jazz or fusion kit in white.

When you get yours, Les, let us know how it plays!

Last edited:
Les Very cool. See my comment above, I really like the white with the 20 inch bass drum

Back