Jimmy Chamberlin

I was never a huge SP fan in high school, when they first hit the mainstream, but I have learned to like a lot of their music. Zeitgeist is, in my opinion, their finest work by far. Jimmy described his playing on that album as "overplaying" but I disagree...I think he nailed it just right.

I really respect him as a drummer and musician after both listening to Zeitgeist and reading his article in last month's Modern Drummer...his attitude is nearly the same as mine, as far as tuning the drums and recording them "wide open". I respect that organic approach...I think he said something to the effect that their fans "were ready with something with some balls on it..." Indeed!

United States is probably my favorite track on the new album.

Zeitgeist has been getting some frequent playtime for me too. I'm a big fan and I agree about the 'overplaying', although "For God and Country" is great and about as basic as a drum track gets.
'United States' is a good song, but I mostly like it because of the tribal drums feel.
Probably my favourite Pumpkins record at the moment, certainly a rival for Mellon Collie at least.

'United States' is a good song, but I mostly like it because of the tribal drums feel.
Probably my favourite Pumpkins record at the moment, certainly a rival for Mellon Collie at least.

I love the tom ostinato he's got going through most of the song. My favorite part, more so than the tom beat, is the slow breakdown toward the end of the tune...man that's kickass.

The opening track is great too, Doomsday Clock....just good rock n' roll.

His signature snare on this album just sounds incredible. It's given me a whole new appreciate for metal snares, which I don't own or play.

I like the SP and have heard of Jimmy Chamberlain but never bought a CD or anything just stuff I heard on the radio but after reading the MD interview I am very intrigued. I will definetly be buying the new SP album this week.

I thought I was the only drummer (newbie) who found solo's to be boring after about 2 minutes no matter who was playing them. I actually thought to myself, if I feel like that about solo's how can I ever be a decent drummer and that maybe my heart was not in it enough to be good. Then Jimmy mentions how he hates them and finds them boring..Wow to admit that and be a respected pro is something..That was about the most honest interview I have ever read.

If you have not read it yet I highly recommend it. I love the fact that he refuses to use a click track, insists on the whole band being there when recording and not playing over other members recorded parts.

I love the tom ostinato he's got going through most of the song. My favorite part, more so than the tom beat, is the slow breakdown toward the end of the tune...man that's kickass.

The opening track is great too, Doomsday Clock....just good rock n' roll.

His signature snare on this album just sounds incredible. It's given me a whole new appreciate for metal snares, which I don't own or play.

wasn't lars ulrich's a shocker, horrible

definatly one of the best alternative rock drummers, maybe second to matt cameron.

I HATE THE DOUBLE KICK. definatly the worst invention for a drum kit, chamberlin, gadd, weckl, colauita (sorry i mentioned jimmy with those gods) dont use them and they are kick ass drummers, with pure skill.

jimmy changed the way i play the drums.

definatly one of the best alternative rock drummers, maybe second to matt cameron.

I HATE THE DOUBLE KICK. definatly the worst invention for a drum kit, chamberlin, gadd, weckl, colauita (sorry i mentioned jimmy with those gods) dont use them and they are kick ass drummers, with pure skill.

jimmy changed the way i play the drums.

I also loath the double kick. But I think it's safe to add Jimmy Chamberlin to any list of "Drum Gods".

I was so sad when Jimmy got booted out of the Smashing Pumpkins. The band's dynamic was destroyed as far as I was concerned and I knew their days were numbered.

I've been a big fan of his for years. 'Gish' is one of my favorite albums of all time. Just the opening part of 'I Am One' just yells out to you that this guy is going to be good. Great sound and single stroke rolls.

Yeah, ditto on that. Sheesh.

From his website:

March 24, 2009 at 07:54 - Posted by jcc

By now you have heard the news of my departure from the Smashing Pumpkins. I will say, without going into any unnecessary details that this represents a positive move forward for me. I can no longer commit all of my energy into something that I don’t fully possess. I won’t pretend I’m into something I’m not. I won’t do it to myself, you the fan, or my former partner. I can’t just, “Cash the check” so to speak. Music is my life. It is sacred. It deserves the highest commitment at every level and the Pumpkins are certainly no different. I’m sorry but it really IS that simple. There is no drama, bad blood, or anything else but a full commitment to music. My best goes out to Billy and I’m glad he has chosen to continue under the name. It is his right. I will continue to make music with the Jimmy Chamberlin Complex as well as pursuing other musical interests. I feel that I have a long way to go and a lot to give. Thanks to everyone for your kind words and support through all of this. I am constantly humbled by all of you! It is an honor and a privilege to play music for a living and I don’t take it for granted not even for a second.

Stay tuned……. JC

JC was a huge influence on my drumming in the early days. I remember listening (and playing along) with Silver**** for hours on end.

Only saw them once in '94 @ Lolla.

jimmy was a big influence on my playing as well. the left foot stuff that he does on the hats really got into my playing in a big way and is still there.

Righteous drummer. I love this guys playing. He has always been inspiring to me on the kit. I have always been a pumpkins fan, but when Jimmy left the band, I decided that Billy Corgan must be as much of an egomaniac as people have always said. There is no Pumpkins w/o Jimmy. Don't believe me? Go listen to Siamese Dream. Then listen to Adore. That should explain everything.

Jimmy's jazz flavor is bar-none, imo. Listening to and practicing to the pumpkins has pushed me as a drummer to really focus on my accents, my fills, and keeping the hi-hat moving constantly as a time-keeper and as extra percussion. Any of those songs aren't just songs to jam to; you can study those songs and really learn from them. There's rarely an uninteresting moment in any of Jimmy's catalogue, and I can remember even as a teenager being able to pick out my favorite fills from "Bodies" and "I Am One", not even knowing the first thing about drums.

Still can't figure Jellybelly out, keeping that hi-hat in perfect time while keeping that beat full-force. And yet he can make the drums sound so powerful, yet keeping the utmost finesse and snare rolls that are so polite and authoritative.

My second influence is Matt Cameron but even Matt doesn't come close to the finesse and powerhouse drumming that JC brings forth. And don't even get me started on the Complex ^ _ ^

Another great example of Jimmy Chamberlin performance is "The Everlasting Gaze", powerful groove - snare rolls - dynamic hi-hat and ride.

Back