Steve Clifford

Mandala

I did some searching and didn't come up with anything, and it made me wonder, where is the love for Steve Clifford?
Steve Clifford is the drummer for Circa Survive, and honestly, I think he's probably one of the best drummers in modern music right now. His syncopation skills are insane.
If you haven't heard him drum, Stop the Fuckin' Car, or In Fear and Faith by Circa Survive are good examples of what he can really do.

Yes man! He truly is awesome and he doesn't require much flash to show that off. Love the 5/4 Frozen Creek off the new album. Also Mandala is a crazy, crazy tune.

Well as far as I know there is no 5/4 in Frozen Creek, but Steve is definitely adept at playing in multiple time signatures. Most of Circa's Juturna album is in 6/4.
And Mandala is awesome, the thing about Steve that really catches me is that his beats are so driving. They are constantly pushing and pulling the song in different ways, but they are always moving it. Obviously that's an effect desired by a lot drummers in various genres, but Steve does so, so good.

Last edited:
My mistake - it seems I was a little drunk when I posted that. I meant Glass Arrows, which is super fun to play.

The best part about him is that he really plays for the band's sound. I'm a big fan of my experimental/progressive bands where the drummer is unleashing hell but I also have a deep appreciation for bands with more digestible music that still retain my interest. Each member, including Anthony of course, brings technically satisfying sound to the table. Clifford is no exception.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qETYuV-vmg

Back