Jimmy Carl Black

harryconway

Platinum Member
Ya might say....Frank Zappa's first drummer..."In 1964, Black was playing in a band in Los Angeles called Soul Giants when they recruited Zappa. "He joined the band and three days later he took it over," Black once said. Zappa changed the band's name and reportedly boasted to the other members, "If you guys learn my music, I'll make you rich and famous." Black later quipped, "He took care of half of that promise, because I'm damn sure I didn't get rich." The world was never the same.

Re: Jimmy Carl Black - R.I.P.

Indeed, the world is not the same. These cats were a big exclamation point in the history of music.

RIP.

p.s - Is there such a thing as a rich musician, Harry?

Re: Jimmy Carl Black - R.I.P.

p.s - Is there such a thing as a rich musician, Harry?

Not to stray too far off topic, but yes. Frank Z., for example, did pretty well, and left his family lookin' pretty good.

I don't know why I never posted in this:

I have a set of sticks signed by him, I met him a few months before he died. He knew my father and step father and played with both of them at one point or another. He was playing a show with a local guitarist, this guy could PLAY!

Talking with him really helped my playing, he was one of the most respectful people I've ever met!

Consaffo, Jimmy

Soup guys.

I have recently found myself very interested in the early stuff from the Mothers of Invention. What do you guys think about Jimmy Carl Black? I've really been digging his style, and I don't usually listen to rock. His work is simplistic, but he can feel the groove like no one else.

And what happened to him when he left the mothers? I can't seem to find any info on him, it's like he fell off the face of the earth after the 60's

Jimmy passed away a few years ago, but he kept busy and enjoyed a following based on hos work with Zappa. There are a few sites dedicated to him.

Bermuda

Back