Fred Coury

IAN - W -

Rebel
Fred Coury ~ The drummer for glam rock band "Cinderella". He is a solid rock groover, hard hit style, that always plays with taste and class. Session drummer for many, many artists. He began to play the violin, then moved to the trumpet and finally to play the drums.

His inspirations are: Neil Peart - Bobby Blotzer - Tommy Lee - Peter Criss - Tommy Aldridge.

Remember - his drumming - on those Cinderella albums! - Night Songs, Long Cold Winter, Heartbreak Station.

Attachments

• Fred_Coury.jpg
    Fred_Coury.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 2,156
  • FredCoury.jpg
    FredCoury.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 5,710
  • fred-coury1.jpg
    fred-coury1.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 3,626
  • Cinderella.jpg
    Cinderella.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 3,463
If you check the "album notes" to Night Songs, all drum tracks were Jody Cortez. Long Cold Winter drum duties were shared by Cozy Powell and Denny Carmassi. Producer Andy Johns didn't want to use Coury in the studio, is the story I remember hearing and/or reading, back in 1986 and 1988.

Jody Cortez, Jim Drnec, Joseph Starns, Cozy Powell, Denny Carmassi...were excellent additional, session drummers but Coury was credited for the job in Cinderella. On the other hand, Kenny Aronoff is the full-blown drummer for Still Climbing album, except for the song Hot And Bothered performed by Fred Coury.

Check: http://www.fredcoury.com/

Appreciate your input - harryconway - it makes this whole thread interesting.

Cheers,

Fred Coury ~ The drummer for glam rock band "Cinderella". He is a solid rock groover, hard hit style, that always plays with taste and class. Session drummer for many, many artists. He began to play the violin, then moved to the trumpet and finally to play the drums.

His inspirations are: Neil Peart - Bobby Blotzer - Tommy Lee - Peter Criss - Tommy Aldridge.

Remember - his drumming - on those Cinderella albums! - Night Songs, Long Cold Winter, Heartbreak Station.

Who has he done sessions for? Didn't he get replaced for his own bands sessions back in the day? That was 20 years ago and i am sure he could have fixed whatever the issue was but that would be one hell of a turn around.

If you check the "album notes" to Night Songs, all drum tracks were Jody Cortez. Long Cold Winter drum duties were shared by Cozy Powell and Denny Carmassi. Producer Andy Johns didn't want to use Coury in the studio, is the story I remember hearing and/or reading, back in 1986 and 1988.

The 1st album was recorded before Fred joined. So he wasn't replaced as much as he just wasn't there yet. He joined the band just in time to make the photo session.

And then, yes, the producer kicked him off the 2nd album and replaced him.
If I recall, Cozy Powell wrote to Modern Drummer to clarify which songs he played one, and mentioned he didn't know why Fred had been kicked off the album, as he (Cozy) just played all the same parts that Fred had already recorded. But then again, maybe Cozy was just being nice. Who knows.

Although I just noticed on Fred's website he still has himself as the drummer on those two albums. Kind of odd.

Indeed, you hear "lots of stuff" in Rock 'n' Roll. Far as I know, Heartbreak Station was the only Cinderella album (of the first 4) he drummed on. In 1993, he was on Arcade's album (Stephen Pearcy - former Ratt vocalist).

Show business is something else, isn't it - fellows?

I like his stuff. I have his drum vid put out by Carmine Appice through "Power Rock".
He talked about the Andy Johns thing on the vid too. He does some pretty cool things on it. It's entertaining.

Said that even though Johns didn't want to use him, they were cool, no problems.

So it must have been some learning experience--and I remember reading the comments of Cozy too.

Yes, show business is something else alright.

Back