Tama Starclassic MIJ Back!

RobertM

Platinum Member
I don't know if this news has been announced already, but I just noticed that Drum Center New Hampshire is now offering Tama Starclassic Maple kits made in Japan. According to Shane's note on the web site, they got Tama to start building SCs in Japan again.

The kits are pricey: 22/16/14/12/10 setup runs $4K, and in stock colors are piano black, vintage natural burst, and sunburst.

I'm not sure if they do custom orders, but it looks like add-ons are available.

If I could get some in British Racing Green, I just may...

On the other hand, does it matter? I remember when "Made in Japan" wasn't such a cool phrase too, now it is? And "Made in China" is bad? I've seen drums made in China and they're not bad, and if someone didn't tell me where they were made, I wouldn't be able to tell.

But regarding the high-end Starclassics, I thought they were always being made in Japan - this was part of the announcement of Tama moving the rest of the lines to China a year ago or so, yes?

But regarding the high-end Starclassics, I thought they were always being made in Japan - this was part of the announcement of Tama moving the rest of the lines to China a year ago or so, yes?

Well the Starclassics line has always had the home base in the Japan factory....... then they started the second factory in China not only for the other lines but also the China Starclassics.

Japan Starclassic Factory, however, has always been in operation.

I recently received my Starclassic Maple kit 8/10/12/14/16/22. MIC. I paid 3.2k. I have no complaints. The attention to detail on the construction and finish is top notch. They sound beautiful. The only thing I would change would be replacing the raised badge with the old flush style. So I save about 800 and get an extra tom for the price of a raised badge. I'm good with that.

I recently received my Starclassic Maple kit 8/10/12/14/16/22. MIC. I paid 3.2k. I have no complaints. The attention to detail on the construction and finish is top notch. They sound beautiful. The only thing I would change would be replacing the raised badge with the old flush style. So I save about 800 and get an extra tom for the price of a raised badge. I'm good with that.

When I had the Starclassic bubinga elite drums those had painted logos and wooden grommets on the vents. A very classy touch. But as you say - at what cost? Too much, I say. But beautiful ;)

I recently received my Starclassic Maple kit 8/10/12/14/16/22. MIC. I paid 3.2k. I have no complaints. The attention to detail on the construction and finish is top notch. They sound beautiful..

You got the china model......... yes ?

MIC. Made in China, yep.

Antique maple finish. Check out my "atypical" thread for a pic.

Yes, that's what I thought too, but when, out of curiosity, I tested this theory at Dale's Drum Shop back in May (a big Tama dealer), they said the MIJs were not available--all SCs were made in China. So there you go.

It was whomever you were speaking with at Dales who did'nt know.

I talk to the Tama national sales manager on a semi-regular basis.

What is the difference between the MIJ and the MIC?

Made In Japan: Decal Starclassic logo laid into the finish of the drum & Wooden air-hole grommets.

Made In China: Metal Starclassic logo badge attached to the shell. Metal air-hole grommets.

Some people have said the quality of the MIJ kits were better. I have two MIJ Starclassic kits - Maple and Bubinga, as well as formerly owning an MIJ Starclassic Performer (100% Birch).

When testing their newer, MIC counterparts at a local store, I noticed little/no difference in perceived build quality or overall sound.

Back