Update to my DW kit

I loved that kit in the Peart setup, but this is even nicer!!!!!!!!!!!!
The only thing in the Peart setup that i don't like, is that you have to stretch your arms to reach the toms above the hats.
I have played my drums in the Peart setup, but I changed to a more normal setup (3 up, 2 down)

Bram

/agree. I gave the Peart thing a shot, as weird as it looked, because well... you just never know until you try. And it does have it's advantages. Namely a great ride position and open body language when working between snare, floor and rack toms. I really liked those things, but IMO, having the toms over the hats vastly limited their accessibility. Fine for big chromatic fills (ahem), but terrible in just about every other way.

The current setup also creates distinct levels that support muscle memory: snare and floor level, rack tom level, small cymbals level and then big cymbals up top.

Everything look great ! The kit (finishes), the cymbals (diversity) and config.

Congrats it's a really nice drum kit that surely makes some envious... (I'm one of them ! lol !!!)

Jes*s Chr*st.

How did I miss this thread? Fantastic setup! I love that finish, those sizes, that recording set-up...

Really, really special!

Who do you have to know to get custom ratatoms made for you? (John Good, I presume...)

Jes*s Chr*st.

How did I miss this thread? Fantastic setup! I love that finish, those sizes, that recording set-up...

Really, really special!

Who do you have to know to get custom ratatoms made for you? (John Good, I presume...)

Thanky!

And no, the only person you need to know is a good DW dealer. When I picked up the toms at the factory (I live not far away), they lamented the fact that people don't tend to think of them as a custom shop. You can order stuff that isn't in their catalog. Hell, they even made me some custom Z-arms to go with the ratas.

AMAZINNNGGG KIT! but so many stands? ever consider racking it?

Not really. Never been a fan of racks. Especially when they run across the front of the kit. But I do have one on the left holding the ratas so I'm considering adding one to the right. It would eliminate a stand or two, but I'm not convinced that it would be any more flexible. And since I don't move it much...

Amazing kit man, very well orchestrated and that finish really shines as well. Did Warren Buffet leave his wallet in your car or something?

Hehe. Considering the beating he's taken in this market, I'm not sure Warren can afford it.

Thanky!
Not really. Never been a fan of racks. Especially when they run across the front of the kit. But I do have one on the left holding the ratas so I'm considering adding one to the right. It would eliminate a stand or two, but I'm not convinced that it would be any more flexible. And since I don't move it much...

I highly recommend this course of action. It is much less unwieldly than across-the-front racks, but with many of the same advantages (vconsistent setup and positioning). Since, like me, you play your rack toms to the left, it would work out great for you. It's also easier to schlep two mini-racks, the spanner bars are shorter and fit in the car better.

... it would work out great for you. It's also easier to schlep two mini-racks, the spanner bars are shorter and fit in the car better.

Car???! I think you may have misspelled:
truck_17_big.gif

Oh My GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That here in Brazil it would be beautiful....
but it is very expensive one it had beaten DW in the bad country
Very beautiful yours had beaten man, congratulations....

Hugs

Amazing looking kit, what an upgrade! Sound clips would be drooled upon as the pics were...thanks for sharing.

JIM

Very nice kit.

In my youth I would have dreamed for a kit like this. However, with age, my dream kits got smaller. (Size Matters Theorem: As age increases, the number of cymbals and drums in Greg's drum kit decreases.) In 20 years, my dream kit will likely be a Ludwig Chief snare drum!

That said, I would love to get behind a big kit again!

Cheereo!

GJS

That!!!..my friend is indeed a beast of a kit...Its very growl may shake the planet to its very core!!

Seriously, beautiful drums man.

Amazing looking kit, what an upgrade! Sound clips would be drooled upon as the pics were...thanks for sharing. JIM

Thanks. And now that BlizzCon and summer vacation are finally at an end, it shouldn't be tool long before I have this thing in my studio and some decent sound clips up.

Very nice kit.

In my youth I would have dreamed for a kit like this. However, with age, my dream kits got smaller. (Size Matters Theorem: As age increases, the number of cymbals and drums in Greg's drum kit decreases.) In 20 years, my dream kit will likely be a Ludwig Chief snare drum!

Hehe. At age 12, I started with a single snare drum. Now I'm 43. I'll leave the extrapolation of my personal Size Matters Theorem to you.

That!!!..my friend is indeed a beast of a kit...Its very growl may shake the planet to its very core!!

Seriously, beautiful drums man.

Thanky! And yes, I wanted a drum set that could compete with The Large Hadron Collider.

Man that is a massive kit... lil too big for me but I love the colour. Roughly how long does it all take to set up?

Man that is a massive kit... lil too big for me but I love the colour. Roughly how long does it all take to set up?

Hard to say exactly since I've never set it up from scratch as it stands, but my guess is maybe about an hour. I'm sure it could go faster with practice but it doesn't really matter much. This is not a gigging out kit and it almost never moves.

Hey Julian,
Good to see this kit over here. I really like the way it has grown since I saw it last. BTW, I'm the one who bought that 19" Sabian Vault cymbal off you, the cymbal has really worked out well for me. Take care.

Greg

Brundlefly, lovely kit.

Do you take that thing out on dates? If so, how long does it take to set up and break down? Do you play many venues that can accommodate it?

Back