Favourite singer(s)

IAN - W -

Rebel
Since we have got favourite bass, guitar and keyboard players. Now, we go with the singers:)

I start with:

Freddy Mercury
Ian Gillan
Roger Daltrey
Bon Scott
Rob Halford
Rod Stewart
Robert Plant

Come on, give your shots...

Last edited:
Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin, young Michael Jackson ,Whitney Houston, Bonnie Raitt, Elmore James, Etta James, Levon Helm, Steve Perry, Steve Walsh (from Kansas) Paul McCartney, John Lennon, Howlin Wolf, Elvis Presley, Koko Taylor, Prince, Cyndi Lauper, Judy Garland, Bono, Billy and Dusty, Bobby Blue Bland, Little Milton, Al Green, (sucks deep breath) The Righetous Brothers, Cass Elliot, Janis Joplin, David Lee Roth, Paul Rogers, Rory Block, Freddy King, Albert King, Greg Allman, Janeva Magness, Susan Tedeschi, Deb Callahan, Steven Tyler, Freddy Mercury, Patsy Cline, Keb Mo, Robert Cray, Edgar Winter, Rick Derringer, Rod Stewart, Little Richard, Linda Rondstat, Lou Gramm (sp? from Foreigner) Muddy Waters....

How could I forget Marvin? Joan Osbourne, David Ruffin,

Before I even opened this thread, I thought Freddy Mercury - and there he is, first mention.

I will also add to Larry's list of awesomeness with Stevie Wonder and an honorable mention to James Brown, (more of a fav. front man than fav. singer though).

Sorry, I really hogged a lot...

My all time favorite is Paul Stanley of kiss. Then i would have to say Steve Perry from Journey and then Pierre Bouvier from Simple Plan. Right now my favorite female vocalist would have to be Lzzy Hale from Halestorm.

Jon Anderson ~ Ian Astbury ~ David Coverdale ~ Nina Hagen ~ Ronnie James Dio ~ Dale Bozzio ~ Bruce Dickinson ~ Geoff Tate ~ John Lydon (Johny Rotten) ~ Joe Strummer ~ Philip Lynnot ~ Donna Summer ~ Cindy Lauper ~ Till Lindemann ~ Lita Ford ~ Ringo Starr ~ Michael Hutchence ~ Fish ~ Jimi Hendrix ~ Biff Byfford ~ Klaus Meine ~ Brian Johnson, funny to hear ~ Lionel Ritchie ~ Michael Monroe ~ Jello Biafra.

Scanning my mp3 player...

Roger Waters, Thom Yorke, David Yow, Karin O, Emily Haines, John Lennon, Kurt Cobain, Cee-Lo Green, Omar Rodríguez-López, Bjork, Dolly Parton, King Buzzo, Michael Jackson, Peter Gabriel, Jack White

Lots of good ones listed - some overlap, especially with Larry's List of Awesomeness :)

Freddie ... obviously
Jeff Buckley
Jim Dewar (Robin Trower Band)
Nina Simone (when she was young)
Greg Lake (on King Crimson's first album)
David Bowie
Anastacia (don't care for her music but her voice is fantastic)
Peter Gabriel
Shirley Bassey
Barry White
Dusty Springfield
Marianne Faithfull
Jack Bruce
Joni Mitchell
John and Paul
Joe Cocker
Steve Winwood (in Traffic)
Roger Waters
Janis Joplin
BB King
Aretha Franklin

And the great Australian vocalist and alto sax player - Jo Camilleri - can also provide some awesomeness ...

Attachments

• Jo Jo Zep - I Believe To My Soul.mp3
    2 MB · Views: 350
Last edited:
Got to go with Steve Perry as favourite rock singer of all time. What a voice! Don Henly & Peter Cetera both have appealing expression for me.

A few more outside of rock that float my boat;

Aaron Neville
Roy Orbison
Linda Ronstadt
Alison Moyet
K.D. Lang
Chrissie Hynde (The Pretenders and Mott the Hoople are the only two noteworthy acts ever from Hereford (tiny market town in the middle of nowhere)).

Freddy Mercury Kelly Clarkson
Steve Perry Cyndi Lauper
Adam Levine Madonna
Lane Staley Avril Lavigne
Chris Daughtry Pink
Eminem Nelly
Dave Matthews Phil Anselmo
Barry Manilow Wait... how many are we allowed to list???

As many as you want to list, brother. There is no limit, go for it!

Freddy Mercury Kelly Clarkson
Steve Perry Cyndi Lauper
Adam Levine Madonna
Lane Staley Avril Lavigne
Chris Daughtry Pink
Eminem Nelly
Dave Matthews Phil Anselmo
Barry Manilow Wait... how many are we allowed to list???

Gregg Allman
Jack Bruce
Roger Daltrey
Bruce Dickinson
Ronnie James Dio
John Fogerty
Ozzy Osbourne
Robert Plant
Eddie Vedder
Roger Waters

Last edited:
Mike Patton anybody ?
I was going to put him up near the top of my list because of his Faith No More work, (the apex of his creative powers, IMO).

Similarly, I was going to list Chris Cornell, but I've been so put off by everything he's done the last 10 or 15 years, that all his earlier work seems like too distant of a memory. But I love everything 'Temple Of The Dog' and earlier (when he was less secure and still trying to find his 'voice').

W. Axl Rose
Scott Weiland
The guy from Roxy Music, can't remember his name.
Trent Reznor
Sting
Deborah Harry
Jim Morrison
Dave Vanian
Eric Clapton
Kim Carnes

Back