recording drums

Nick G.

so, today is my birthday (happy birthday me :D) but thats not what im posting about

ok, ive managed to save up £450 ($650)
and im planning on spending £300 of it on recording equipment - this can be increased as christmas is coming up :)

over the years, my drums have taken up a large room in my house so its basically "my second bedroom" without a bed and my parents have said i can do pretty much what i want with it (within reason of course :D)

what i want to do, is kind of create a little home studio for my drums

but i have no idea what to buy

could some of you guys tell me the stuff i would need + links maybe?

e.g. microphones, microphone leads, computer software, thing that the microphones go into (what is this called :D ?) and something to connect it to a computer

Thanks,
Nick

p.s. if you could tell me what mic to get for guitarists/bassists that would be good aswell so me and my mates could record songs etc :D

I just got into recording myself. I got a behringer XENYX1222FX it has a usb interface and
6 XLR mic inputs and two additional channels for aux inputs i got it for 200US dollars.
I also have a set of samson mics 7 piece set for 250US the mics arent the best but they work and have been reliable so far I would look at the drum mic thread. and i also got some cheap recording software for 60 dollars. One thing i have learned is that PCs suck for recording and artistic applications I am saving for a mac. But I got started for about 600Dollars.

I just got into recording myself. I got a behringer XENYX1222FX it has a usb interface and
6 XLR mic inputs and two additional channels for aux inputs i got it for 200US dollars.
I also have a set of samson mics 7 piece set for 250US the mics arent the best but they work and have been reliable so far I would look at the drum mic thread. and i also got some cheap recording software for 60 dollars. One thing i have learned is that PCs suck for recording and artistic applications I am saving for a mac. But I got started for about 600Dollars.

6 XLR mic inputs and two additional channels for aux inputs

whats the difference between mic and aux??

could i put 8 mics on this? im confuzzled :D

An XLR input is for microphone cables to plug into they have preamps on the channels
so you can use a function called phantom power so you can use condenser mics (overhead mics) the aux means extra channels that do not have phantom power
you can still plug mics into them but they use 1/4inch adaptors they are also used if you want to run another instrument like A guitar pod. I hope I am not confusing you. I am still learning myself. aux channels will not work for condenser mics. Hopefully some who knows there stuff could explain it better.

An XLR input is for microphone cables to plug into they have preamps on the channels
so you can use a function called phantom power so you can use condenser mics (overhead mics) the aux means extra channels that do not have phantom power
you can still plug mics into them but they use 1/4inch adaptors they are also used if you want to run another instrument like A guitar pod. I hope I am not confusing you. I am still learning myself. aux channels will not work for condenser mics. Hopefully some who knows there stuff could explain it better.

condensor mics are the ones i use for overheads right??

does this mean i could connect the kick drum mic to it?

whats a "preamp"?
also, whats a Guitar pod :D ? (im guessing just a guitar straight in??)

your confusing me a little but thats only cos im learning :p , not because ure bad at explaining

Back