Hocus Pocus cover

PQleyR

Platinum Member
Greetings! I'd like to share with you all something I did the other day.

Me and my sister's band did a cover of Hocus Pocus by Focus. I'm putting it here because I'm actually playing guitar on this one, not drums. Our drummer did a good job of it, though, so there are drums to watch happening.

Here it is!

I'd love to hear any thoughts you might have about it. It's nothing earth-shatteringly brilliant (I'm no Jan Akkerman, certainly) but it's fun.

That was so much fun! Thanks!

I enjoyed that, PQ. You have a few tricks up your sleeve, don't you? You also have heaps of stage presence and Amy is a star to take on Thijs van Leer's vocal parts.

Esp. loved the garbling :)

Thanks guys! Glad you enjoyed it!

You have a few tricks up your sleeve, don't you?

Do you mean the guitar, or the Vietnamese nose flute? Either way, as you can see I had my sleeves rolled up, so no tricks in there!

Seriously though...maybe I do! I don't know. Do I?

And glad you like the garbly bit, I was helped out considerably by our friend Trim, who was playing bass for us on this occasion but is usually the singer in our other band Sorcerer's Spell (where I do actually play the drums)!

I think next time we will play it faster, like Focus used to do live. Much more silly.

Talking of which, the rest of that set is also on our youtube channel if anyone wants to have a look.

I use the nose flute briefly at 4.03, and again at 4.41. You can see me drop it afterwards.

Which twisted bits are you particularly referring to?

I use the nose flute briefly at 4.03, and again at 4.41. You can see me drop it afterwards.

Which twisted bits are you particularly referring to?

Aha, I missed that. I thought you were just really good at whistling through your fingers. Probably should have looked full-screen.

Twisted bits? Not in Hocus Pocus but some of the others, eg. 0:42 to 1:10 in The Horn Song. Sounds a bit like bizzarro early Zappa from his Weasels Ripped My Flesh period, even though you might not have heard that album at the time.

Back