Travis Barker

tambian89 said:
I don't mean to undermine pop-punk; if I did I didn't mean to.

This sentence confuses me...

Anyway, other than that, I think we cleared this one up; being a metalhead (like yourself), I , too can appreciate the merits of other styles of drumming, and that no one is 'better' than the other, merely different. However, you could argue that, (continuing with my previous analogy), a Picasso painting is no 'better' than the work of a toddler, but everyone would know who you implied was better, and I thought you were doing that with your comparison of jazz and pop-punk, but evidently not.

Re: How can I make my TOM heads sound like Travis Barker's?

well i was looking for a dead low sound so thats what the dude at the drum shop suggested those. i tried everything even had my drum teacher try and tune em but no luck. maybe it was my drums....but i don think so because ec2s sound pretty good on em!

Re: How can I make my TOM heads sound like Travis Barker's?

pdp 9091 said:
im not slamming him...he was actually my favorite drummer at one time but im just saying imo, studying more skilfull drums will get you farther.

You used to like Travis Barker? You guys are full of surprises lol.

I hate Blink 182 too, but Travis Barker is a pop-puk drummer - he will never compare to any metal drummer due to his style. To quote myself here:

"Travis Barker is better than your average pop-punk drummer, correct? If not tell me who is better ( I really feel Tre Cool does not measure up). Travis is better than most of the drummers in his genre; that is really where I feel his skill ends. He may be skilled at rudiments and marching, but he plays neither one of those as a profession, nor is he the best at both.

Roger Ebert has a style of rating movies; he rates them through stars. For example, a movie he loves will receive 4 out of 4 stars; a movie he hates will receive 1 (maybe 0) out of 4. However, he compares movies based on their genre. For example, he gave Batman Begins 4 out of 4 stars; he also gave Schindler's List 4 out of 4 stars. He does not, however, mean that both films are equally good; he simply means, that, in comparison to other superhero films, Batman Begins is probably his favorite. In terms of historical dramas, he feels Schindler's list is his favorite. Ebert does not mean that Batman Begins and Schindler's List are equal in terms of quality (though some people may).

Roger says: "The star rating system is relative, not absolute. When you ask a friend if Hellboy is any good, you're not asking if it's any good compared to Mystic River, you're asking if it's any good compared to The Punisher. And my answer would be, on a scale of one to four, if Superman is four, then Hellboy is three and The Punisher is two. In the same way, if American Beauty gets four stars, then [The United States of] Leland clocks in at about two."

Same goes for Travis Barker; In comparison to Tre Cool, Travis is about a 4, Tre is about a 3, and Chuck Comeau is about a 2. While one can compare Buddy Rich, 4, to Chick Webb, 3.5, one cannot compare Rich to Barker."

There you go. I don't mean to attack you if it seems like I am; I think Travis should only be compared to pop-punk drummers in terms of skill, since that is all we hear of him anyway.

- Marc

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Thought Travis was gonna break the record

Elvin4ever said:
Current Top Ten WFD Fastest Hands Rankings as of March 25, 2006

Mike Mangini 1247
Jotan Afanador 1199
Art Verdi 1116
Dan Barnat 1106
Sam LaCompte 1096
Eric Okamoto 1085
Johnny Rabb 1071 tie
Brad Broomfield 1071 tie
Matt Smith 1061
Tiger Bill Meligari 1060

In this type of specialized event, any of these guys would own Travis Barker like a used car.
I think Art Verdi is the fastest with more then 1200

Class A Drummer said:
I think Art Verdi is the fastest with more then 1200
No Class A, what I posted was 100% accurate...no debates.

Verdi is third all time, and second in traditional grip.

BTW, I viewed your video. Nice job...you've got good chops for a 14-15 year old.

NUTHA JASON said:
you reveal a lot more about yourself in a post like this than about travis barker. a better drummer at age five? exaggerator. no timing? his timing is excellent so your ear for timing might be way off. no tone? tone deaf as well? his toms sing and we hear them fine thank you. a million things he does wrong? a million is a huge number. exaggerator. he just sucks? well go to a forum that doesn't celebrate drummers then...this one does celebrate drummers. we can criticise yes but be warned that your criticism often reveals your own inaddequacies far more than you would hope or like.

j

Hey i agree with you and stu i juest dont like him to begin with thats all...

Re: Travis Barker Boost Moble Beat

What's hard about it?

Sounds like (I hate tabs but, meh)
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +
C X--------------
H ----x---x---x--
S --o-----o---o-o
B o---o-o---o----

Last edited:
Travis is definetely a good drummer, but I am a bit bored of the hype teenies make about the guy. Sure, he might be the best of the pseudo-punk drummers but much more? I say no, though my view might be limited since I hate Blink182. But also when I´m just concentrating on the drums I can find so many other greater drummers than him. Overall, he deserves a lot of respect but shouldn´t be soooo much admired.

Well, if they have a WFD Double Strokes competition, he might compete, given that's all he ever plays ;-)

Single strokes he'd get murdered.

i like the fact that i can listen to any blink 182 cd that had travis drumming on it, and not hear the same beat twice.. all the songs have considerably different beats and they are all creative and fun to me..

mattsmith said:
Then why did you say it?

I am one of those people and none of us spends most of our time on single strokes. Of my two and a half hour a day practice routine I spend about 30 minutes on speed issues maybe five days a week. All of the major WFD guys are great set players. That's a myth that was thrown out years ago.

well i didnt know for sure wether they were good kit players, but i knew they HAD to focus 90% of their practice on speed, but then i also imagined like tim waterson or some other WFD comptetiors post the opposit...

I just checked elvin4ever is correct Mike is still on top with 1247. There seems to be a huge barrier at 1250. Funny how these barriers in WFD scores happen around the 50 and 100 count. The next big number to fall is 1300. 1300? Is that really possible? If so, who do you think will be the first to break the 1300. They say it is awful lonely at the top. I bet this guy is going to be all by him/her self for a long time. Kinda like Tim Waterson has been in the feet category.

TD

ThomasDee said:
No Problem. Boo and Craig are the two guys that started all this. Yes I know them and from time to time, well a lot the past 6 months have worked for them. Mostly editing and shooting videos for them.

Tim Yeung is a WFD guy and so, do you really think he is as you say 'medicor' on the kit? A lot of these guys have sold quite a few records and packed out a great deal of venues just to be as you say 'medicor' on the kit. But hey that your opinion and your have a right to voice it no matter if it's true or false, I guess.

Not meant as bashing, just informative education.

TD

i ment it more of a question rather than an open opinoin.. i was kinda asking are they medicor on the kit ? or are they really talented on the kit and just happen to be blazing fast on the pad aswell... sorry for the misundertanding i think i just typed it wrong to the way i was thinkin.

mattsmith said:
Hey beatsMcGee,

You live in Raleigh man, which is like a kind of WFD hotbed. There are alot of strong teachers out there who teach good fundamentals and stuff and are world class WFD guys. Eric Okamoto, is one of the best rudiment guys in the world and teaches at a store in Cary. He's also a WFD champion. Scott LaBoarde was top 10 in the world championships the last couple of years and lives in Wake Forest. He's also got a great educational website drumskillz.com. You ought to check these out. It might improve your vibe about the WFD guys. You'd also find out by watchin these guys that some of these big time guys claiming to use speed in certain ways aren't as hot as we are told.

hey man ! do you live in raleigh ? yea i take drum lessons at Progressive Percussion in raleigh, i like it enough its cool , there is a guy there named scott.. that wouldnt happen to be the person your talkin about in your post are you ....?

beatsMcGee said:
i like the fact that i can listen to any blink 182 cd that had travis drumming on it, and not hear the same beat twice.. all the songs have considerably different beats and they are all creative and fun to me..

Did you listen to the files I posted? Or does it not count because that was Boxcar Racer and not Blink 182, LOL!

Actually, he often falls back on one specific style of phrasing with his beats/fills, etc. Many of his beats are based on this feel:

barker_phrasing.gif

He plays this phrase in several ways; as double stroke rolls on the snare and as singles around the toms. This is often one of the first and simple polyrhythms 3:4 that most beginners learn and thus, popular through familiarity.

This is a very good example of why I am not usually into drum solos.

Repetitive, no groove, no dynamics, ... What is exactly the structure of this solo ? Mostly a speed demonstration, and not even that impressive on that aspect anyway. And this little rhythm that he develops in a few sections... talk about a strange choice of groove for a solo...

Not my cup of tea. Some of his ideas in songs are by far more interesting than this piece of work.

Last edited:
shuffle said:
This is a very good example of why I am not usually into drum solos.

Repetitive, no groove, no dynamics, ... What is exactly the structure of this solo ? Mostly a speed demonstration, and not even that impressive on that aspect anyway. And this little rhytm that he develops in a few sections... talk about a strange choice of groove for a solo...

Not my cup of tea. Some of his rhytmic ideas in songs are by far more interesting than this piece of work.

i agree that is not his best solo, but i like his acrylic kit.

Back