IQ test. You will like it but it is tough.

I've checked my IQ several times throughout my lifetime. Even as a child at school I had it checked a couple times. It ranges anywhere from utter fool to genius.

Not really, Polly. I get lost all the time. I believe it's a Y-chromosome thing.

I don't know where the visuo-spacial ability would come into play. I guess I'm an above-average chess player, for a club player, anyway. Maybe there. But even so, I'm not at any really high level.

I always scored high on the math section of those aptitude tests but my math grades in school said otherwise.

I remember many years ago, reading a discussion about IQ and what it meant, in some magazine, might have been GQ. The article cited two people: Richard Feynman and Marilyn vos Savant (Mach), and compared them and what their IQ scores mean. Marilyn Vos Savant's IQ is the highest ever measured, listed as something like 228 (although there was some dispute about that) whereas Feynman's was around 135. The point was that while vos Savant's career was basically answering questions in a column in Parade magazine, Feynman was one of the most important physicists of all-time. In other words, IQ is what it is, and nothing more.

All rather contradictory. IQ is just one thing. There's a funny moment in a Hal Galper masterclass where he's saying you don't have to be smart to play jazz and then he must have brought to mind some players he knew and laughed. Said it all :)

Having said that, if Fyenman's IQ was 30 points less I doubt he would have been a physicist at all. I used to work in a scientific institution and every scientist and technical officer I met there was very bright, some impressively so.

As for getting lost ... in my many years the only person I've known with worse directions than me was Mum, who was capable of getting lost 100 metres from home. It's almost like a disability - actually it probably is but no one's classified it yet. It's a pain in the neck, actually.

I remember taking an on-line test a few years ago that told me I qualified for MENSA. Seriously.

but the W.O.P.A.R. taught us that the only winning move is not to play the game...

sorry for the bad War Games reference...

I need neither the arrogance should I score high, the deflation should I score average nor the confusion should I score low.

Last edited:
I hope everyone understands that actual IQ tests are standardized and administered under very strict conditions by trained professionals. Online tests do not meet these standards and thus should be considered for entertainment purposes only.

Back