DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 10-08-2017, 09:49 PM

Default practicing without a drumset?

Howdy!
When you don't have a drumset how do you practice? Or maybe you do exercices away from the instrument even if you have one at hand?
It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on this.
I have a practice pad but where do I put it? How do you deal withthis?
And do you ever practice egg shakers and things like that?
Ear training when no physical drum set?
Old 10-08-2017, 10:27 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: practicing without a drumset?

I mentally practice. Play the bands set in my head :)
Back Street Abortions.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:11 PM
Platinum Member

Twice a day, for 1/2 hour each, I walk my dog off-leash, and bring sticks along to play rudiments.. on my thighs.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:33 AM
Platinum Member

Using my practice pad, I put on my favorite songs and I practice all of the rudiments to the songs.
And guess what, when your playing fills on a full drum set, those rudiments will just pop right into your playing.

Old 10-09-2017, 02:20 AM

It really depends on what you're practicing and where you are at with your skill level IMO. If you want to work on rudiments or technique then a practice pad is good. And if you need to work on coordination stuff then I like to just practice with my hands and feet. If you are practicing a groove or playing with a song however you probably need to find a drum set. If I listen to a song enough I can usually play it after a couple of tries on the kit, but that's harder for some people to do.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:41 AM

It indeed depends on what situation you are.
It's not impossible. I don't have a kit right now, however, I have been for 5 years with one, 3 without a kit (now) and 2 with paint cans (when I just started).

Disregarding that, having a practice pad will allow you to focus more on hand technique, theory and perfecting what you already know. However, I face the limitation of not having a kit at the time to be able to exercise different patterns and exercises like independence, dynamics (pad helps, but only until a certain point) and especially when practicing improvisations and stuff like that.

What I suggest you to do, is to focus on what you CAN do right now. You have a pad, that's enough to start. Learn rudiments, perfection them, different hand techniques, some hand-feet coordination is also possible to exercise. You can train reading-playing like with the stick control book or syncopation for modern drummers (those are very good books). You can even work on your speed, metronome, etc.

Regarding using a pad, I don't have a stand either. If you can get a stand, get it. It costs only 50 bucks. I don't have one because I will get a custom kit soon and the hardware will be included, so I hold on a bit more. If you can't or don't want to spend 50 bucks, put a chair and some books below it, make sure that the height is correct.
How do you know it's the correct height? Well, a rule of thumb my teacher taught me, was that first I should sit correctly. Have your knees a little more than 90 angle (it also depends a bit on some other factors like if you play double bass you maybe want to sit bit higher, etc. But disregard double bass and just keep the knowledge for later). Your snare (in this case, pad) at the same height or a bit above of your quadriceps. This can vary a bit on your choice, a bit lower or upper, depending what technique/situation you are. I like a little bit higher so I can reach rimshots easier.

Ear training is also possible with a pad, or even without. Depending on what you are working on. As I mentioned earlier, you should evaluate what to do first and what to leave for later. Playing your favorite songs is a way to train yourself in many ways, and having a pad is perfect for that, as you concentrate more on what you are doing instead of the kit you are playing. Once again, it's possible.

Sometimes is hard to have some discipline, but you won't be hurt at last. Results are your trophies.
I hope this helps... I'm sorry for the long cake.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:25 PM

I play in a cover band. My house is too small for set, so during my lunch hour I walk around playing "air drums" and listen to our set. While it's not perfect, it translates pretty well once I get into the studio. The key for me is listening to the songs over and over, memorizing the original drumming, but making mental changes to things I'm not capable of doing yet.

For things that are just not working for me that I need to iron out, I'll set up a practice pad on a couch, using the left arm as the hi-hat, and the back as the cymbals. Again, it's not perfect, but I've figured out some things that way.

You also might want to do some rudiments on the pad to strengthen your wrists. They're really boring, but are very helpful.

Good luck!