method for stain removal/refinishing

opentune

Platinum Member
I picked up this (birch) tom for cheap and wish to sand and remove the deep red mahogany stain to re-do it as a honey amber. I'm guessing I have to strip the finish, then sand off the stain deep until natural wood shows. How far does stain penetrate? Is this gonna take a really long time to sand? Any help of advice please from anybody whose done this? thanks.
tama13tom2.jpg

Hard to say "how deep" the stain has penetrated the wood, but the short answer is yes, you're probably in for a lot of work. Only way to really tell, is start sanding, and see how deep the stain goes.​
A much easier route would be to re-wrap the drum with a thin veneer, and then stain the veneer honey amber.​
Two of my drums are factory .... and two of them are stained to match.​

Attachments

• Luddy1.jpg
    Luddy1.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 764
  • Luddy2.jpg
    Luddy2.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 740
Nice job, I cannot really tell which of your drums was veneered and which not. I've never worked with veneer but that does sound easier.

Having worked with numerous woods, but not knowing what the type is, the stain could be half way or deeper. I agree with the wrap in a thin veneer first then stain the honey amber color.

Having worked with numerous woods, but not knowing what the type is, the stain could be half way or deeper. I agree with the wrap in a thin veneer first then stain the honey amber color.

Its birch wood. I suppose I could peer in by looking at the plies exposed in drilled holes for lugs or tom mount, and see how deep the colour goes.

Thats a good idea as long as the stain didn't run in the holes if stained after drilled

Back