Universities/Colleges After High School for Drums (America)

sptimmeh

Hey Guys!

So I live in Western Australia however my brother studied in America after high school (law) and I would be interested in following the same path...

I'm in my second final year at high school and I play drums and I've pretty much made up my mind of heading in that direction as a career path... I love jazz/fusion/funk/rnb/latin sort of music (ehe) with all the rock bits and pieces and I was looking into colleges and universities in America but I really have no clue.
I have a moderate to high level of music theory/analysis/aural skills (I don't know what the standard is in America!)
I was watching the Berklee auditioning tapes on youtube and some cats seem decent, some bad and some have insane fills but average grooves (all the gospel chops blow my mind).

Can anyone recommend a range of universities/colleges (whatever you guys call it) that offer a great music (specifically drums) program..

California / NY sound great.. but I really know nothing about the universities for music in the states...

Edit:
Also whats the typical standard of drum quality/theory skills required? Do you have to be already of professional ability to be heading to these universities... I couldn't classify myself in terms of ability .
Thanks !
p.s. sorry if I appear innocent or naive..

Some really good (more affordable) schools to consider in lieu of Berkelee.

North Texas (Texas), Bowling Green State University (Ohio), Vanderbilt University (Nashville, Tennessee), The Ohio State University (Columbus, Ohio).

You should have a decent understanding of theory (not a professional level).

You will be expected to be a percussionist first, a drummer second. I was primarily a drummer headed into college and I wasn't allowed to play a drum my first year there....it was all marimba, vibes, and everything else! If I hadn't a decent understanding of music theory, I would have had a really bad first year.

By the way, my degree is actually in History from The Ohio State University. If you do not major in music, the professors won't really know and won't treat you any different from a music theory major! Which is good (fair selection for groups/parts) and bad (expectations are same for someone planning to be a professional in music and someone who is going to be a biologist).

If you audition and you suck can you re-audition in a year's time or whatever, not that I suck its just a scary thing entrusting your career into a yes/no type deal on one occasion..

Also can I audition from Australia? like send in clips or w/e or do I have to travel to the states?

Yes, Berklee and most other conservatories have auditions as part of their admissions. Lots of great players come out of North Texas. Check that out.

Back