Rolling Stone's Confusion Over The 100 Best Drummers

Not nearly as much as I love the proceeding whining about some (undoubtedly) more worthy drummer missing out. Happens with such regularity every year that I now set my watch by it.

Here's a tip for the dissatisfied. Of course someone more worthy is going to miss out. What the hell did you expect? There's only 100 rock drummers mentioned FFS.

Here's another tip. If it bothers you so, make your own list. I'll get as much of a giggle reading all the whining about who you've left out of the top 5, top 25, or off the list altogether, as I do reading the yearly rants about the glaring omissions on the RS list.

But I digress......fwiw, our favourite colour is actually black (which I'm fully aware is not a colour at all)!! :)

Well put. You da man and then some!

So glad it was Moon on them, even though he was far from the best drummer out there.
That's why I wrote, he war arguably the best ROCK-drummer during those five years. Overall, other drummers like Tony Williams and Joe Morello were way more proficient than him. But RS mainly focuses on rockdrummers. That's life.

Also funny that Weckl is considered to be one of the best 25 drummers in drum history here and there and RS barely mentions him. And Steve Gadds and Steve Jordans ranking is just as weird... Way too low. While that "Ex-Nirvana drummer" Dave Grohl gets more publicity as he deserves. Bah.... at least, we got something to talk about and make fun of. :)

Even Charlie Watts admitted that he still has trouble drumming. His famous line is that he is 1/32 of a beat behind everyone else. He has big trouble with time.

Keith Moon? are you joking? He's been dead longer than half this board have been alive, 1978. All he could do was throw his drums farther than anybody else.

He had a number of firsts as a drummer mind you:

First drummer to throw his kit into a pool. First drummer to injure a patron with his bass. etc. etc.

C'mon man.

You dont get it do you? Those guys were making it up, they were inventing Rock drumming. There was no blue print, no click, no internet, they were doing something different.

Its easy to be smug in retrospect, decades after the event. What you play now is influenced by these guys, cos the guys who directly influenced you were influenced in some way By Kieth and Charlie. They are/were drummers, show some respect.

You dont get it do you? Those guys were making it up, they were inventing Rock drumming. There was no blue print, no click, no internet, they were doing something different.

Its easy to be smug in retrospect, decades after the event. What you play now is influenced by these guys, cos the guys who directly influenced you were influenced in some way By Kieth and Charlie. They are/were drummers, show some respect.

That's it, man, that's it!
Find the guy who sounded like Ringo or John Bonham or Charlie Watts or Keith before Ringo or John or Charlie or Keith played on those records.
They invented those styles.
So did John Densmore, etc. etc.

I think that Rolling Stone likes to botch lists so that people will talk about the magazine.

I just laughed that I only knew about 2 drummers in the top 20, and didn't go any deeper than that.

I guess it's about criteria. Best Drummer at what? At drumming? What style? Pure technical ability or more musical? Dynamics? Records sold?

What are they rating these guys on?

Ringo Starr beat out Tony Williams? On records sold maybe.... Looking at that list, I have no idea how they are comparing these guys.

Back