Learning tunes yesterday and today

chipotle

The Lido Shuffle post reminded me of learning tunes "back in the day".

We didn't have the internet. If I didn't know the song from having heard it on the radio I had to go buy the damn record. It wasn't likely a record I wanted for my collection. And I couldn't just scrub thru the song on youtube to listen to the parts I needed. (I'm beginning to feel like the grumpy old man. In my day…) I had to lift the tonearm and keep placing back on the record. I used the old record player for that stuff. The one that had a nickel or two taped to the tonearm to keep it down on warped and scratched up records.

For some here that stuff might ring a bell for others it's like "what was all that about? What's a tonearm?"

The internet is great.

What's a tonearm?"

Isn't that the part of a guitar player that continually messes with knobs during the whole show?

I never played along with a record player, but I did tape record hours and hours of radio just to find one song that I wanted to learn. What a waste of time and tape. Go go gadget internet!

The Lido Shuffle post reminded me of learning tunes "back in the day".

We didn't have the internet. If I didn't know the song from having heard it on the radio I had to go buy the damn record. It wasn't likely a record I wanted for my collection. And I couldn't just scrub thru the song on youtube to listen to the parts I needed. (I'm beginning to feel like the grumpy old man. In my day…) I had to lift the tonearm and keep placing back on the record. I used the old record player for that stuff. The one that had a nickel or two taped to the tonearm to keep it down on warped and scratched up records.

For some here that stuff might ring a bell for others it's like "what was all that about? What's a tonearm?"

The internet is great.

And get off my lawn you meddling kids!

;)

True, learning a song meant buying the record, or if you had time & patience, wait for the song to appear on the radio and record it to tape (cassette or reel.) In my case, I only tended to want/need to learn songs that I liked anyway, so I was likely to already have it - I always had a healthy record collectioon - or didn't mind buying the single, assumiong it was popular enough to be a single in the first place.

I'll agree that music is infinitely easier to source thanks to the intenet, although I'm kind of in the same place collection-wise. It's rare that I need to learn songs that I don't already possess within my 3,000+ CD titles.

Bermuda

Isn't that the part of a guitar player that continually messes with knobs during the whole show?

I never played along with a record player, but I did tape record hours and hours of radio just to find one song that I wanted to learn. What a waste of time and tape. Go go gadget internet!

Oh man BTDT!

We can now download lessons, music, songs without drums (and with) and slow them down without losing sound quality. We have no excuse to suck whatsoever.

Drums, guitar, bass, trombone, trumpet, singer all standing around dropping the needle on the 45rpm over and over. Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end.

Back