Who is your favorite drummer(s)

Steve Gadd, Buddy Rich, Joe Morello, Bernard Purdie, Peter Erskine

wow that's a short post

my favorite drummer is TERRY BOZZIO i think i dont have to say anithing about........and there are drummers that i really have to say, they makes me the drummer that i am acctually, MIKE PORTNOYwhit his eternal (handsx2) (BDx2) (hands x4) (BDX2) etc... and his left hand technique he opened a huge door for me whit that...... my first solo whit DAVE WECKL......(and much more master)....Archie Pena a "carlos vives" drummer...gives me all what i have to know about caribe and latin jazz.........i can whrite all the night, neil peart, buddy rich, vinnie, mel.............................................

Bonzo said:
John Bonham
Neil Peart
Ian Paice
Buddy Rich...

I like your list. add Jojo Mayer And Steve Gadd and then it´s Perfect! Those are my big inspiration of innovation.

- Kenny Kramme
- Tommy Lee
- Neil Peart
- Steve Smith
- Tommy Aldridge
- Freddie Gruber (for his work to further develop some of the already established drummers around)
- John Bonham (Not a huge Zeppelin fan, but this cat can wail)
- Phil Collins
- Danny Seraphine

Tony Williams, Dennis Chambers, Mike Portnoy, John Bonham, Ian Paice, Bobby Previte, Joey Baron, Simon Phillips, Will Calhoun and Jack DeJohnette. and that list is in no particular order and by no means complete. My CD collection numbers about 4000 so there's quite a few more names that could be added.

Stewart Copeland from The Police was the drummer I listened to who got me interested in drumming so I will say he is my favorite. Too bad he hardly plays anymore since he is on to other projects.

My most favourite modern drummers have to be the rev (Jiimy Sulivan) from a band called avenged sevenfold and travis smith from trivium

favourite drummers of all time are:
john bonham
ginger baker
buddy rich
ian paice
steve gadd
keith moon
travis barker

Papa Jo Jones (This dude is one of my biggest influences, cant describe how much i respect his stuff)

Joe Morello

Buddy Rich

Elvin Jones

Loads more aswell

Who is/are your favourite?

Sup folks. I am 16 and has been drumming for quite sometime now - a few months. I am a from singapore and is a self-taught drummer. (hopefully i'llhave some former lessons soon) Anyway, I will just like to ask all you drummer. Who is your favourite drummer?

Personally, I came into drumming is because of Tre Cool - drummer from Greenday. He can be referred as one of the best drummer in punk rock history. I like him not because of his funny antics on stage and stuff. It's the way he play the crashes and the way he does his fills. In short, his style. However, after some time into drumming, watching all the other drummers, I feel that Buddy Rich has become my favourite too. ( i can have 2 favourites!!! xD ) But I cannot really see Tre in the same light I see Buddy. They are very different in their own ways and styles. It's unfair you see. But the curious me still wants to know, what are you favourites. And why? Hahah.

PS: I am still VERY new to the drumming world. This is to help me widen my drumming knowledge too. Thanks! =)

Last edited:
Re: Who is/are your favourite?

hi im 15 (this year i turned it) ive been plying for a littel while i got into drumming because of joey jordison and pete sanderson (who is one of my fav drummers) joey just cus he has some cool beats and ideas. I paly double kick so pete and and kerl sanders are my to fav drummers cus of there double bass is around 250bpm (16th notes) and even faster in some of there songs, im not such a fan of tre cool but that cus i like death and heavy metal.

There are lots of threads like this one so look around for some more answers.

My answers are:

Jeff Porcaro
Steve Smith
Vinnie Coliauta
Steve Gadd
Dave Weckl
Keith Carlock
Elvin Jones
and about 100 others...

So yes you can have more than one favorite drummer. Also, just because you are young, doesn't mean you can't like older drummers/music, so I encourage you to listen to Steve Gadd and Vinnie and Porcaro and see what great drumming is all about.

Danny Carey and Carter Beauford have always been my two biggest influences. I look up to them because they have amazing technical ability, but they can also play what's best for the song.

When I started to play drums my first influence was Ian Paice I just loved his grooves and the music he played and the sound he has/had! Besides of rock music I listened to funk

Then I got into jazz music and fusion, actually as far as I remember myself, I allways loved jazz music, I'm addicted to swing! lol
My favourites became, Buddy Rich, Vinnie Colaiuta, Steve Gadd, Billy Cobham, Joe Morello, Jack DeJohnette, Peter Erskine, Tony Williams, Steve Smith, Dennis Chambers, Horacio ''El Negro'' Hernandez, Dave Weckl etc (I'm quite sure I forgot someone!)

Then next huge influence on me was Jojo Mayer. I had a chance to participate in a jazz camp and he came as a clinican, weird but I didn't know anything about him, I have never heared him before and even more I thought electronic music was junk :)

After his clinics I was totally flored, in that moment I lost all my idols, I thought nothing can impress me but oh boy I was so wrong!
The first thing that was mindblowing - his insane technical abilities (16th notes with left hand @ about 180 bpm? damn...) what is the main thing why people know him but I want to add that he is just a wonderfull musician!
he really made me a better drummer/musician, it was a huge turning point in the way I think and the way I see things

Now I'm still into the love of my life - jazz music and besides of that I play live electronic music :)

My favourites of my favourites right now are:
Jojo Mayer;
Peter Erskine (for me he is absolutely the best jazz drummer),
Steve Smith (wonderfull teacher with insane technique and high level of musicality)
Steve Gadd (the moment you start to learn his groovs you understand that you won't be able to play them as he does, this man is ''The Groove'' himself heh);
Joe Morello (a true legend and a master of drum set)
Vinnie Colaiuta (you want insane technique combined with great groove? Vinnie is the man!)
Dennis Chambers (you want to heare mindblowing solos and nasty grooves? Gotta check out Dennis Chambers!)

also the leatest favourites are Antonio Sanches, Rodney Holmes has come to my attention, also Keith Carlock and Wolfgang Haffner (probably not many people have heared him, but it is worth to check out his records, really good drummer!) and of course - Dom Famularo, probably the best educator in the world and a pretty insane drummer!

Well, that's basically my life story :D
I hope you all wearen't too bored!

Last edited:
Back