Seeking lightweight quality pedal with ...

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
When I bought a new kit after not playing for a long time I scrimped on my kick drum pedal and in hindsight, it was a mistake.

Can anyone recommend a quality, lightweight pedal with a smooth, gliding action that is a joy to play?

Cheers

Les, have you tried the Axis?

PFOG, happy to part with $$ for comfort. My R knee (along with a bunch of other joints) has issues. Just hoping to get some pain free playing in before I start the search for lightweight quality walking frames ;)

Man, if you could get ahold of that Axis pedal, that would be the way to go. If you've never played on one before, you need to. I think its EXACTLY what you're looking for. Axis are light as a feather, very powerful, and smooth as can be. Some of the best pedals on the market, I would have to say. Direct links also mean unparalleled response.

I second the Axis Pedal, and also the Trick Pro-1v pedal. I've owned both and both are lightweight and you can really fly on them.

Funny that I currently play Tama's Iron Cobra Jr.'s, though.

I'm leaning towards the Axis for you though. The Axis X single is cheaper than the Trick though ($179 as opposed to $325 US), and because the Axis uses an external spring like other notable pedals (DW, Yamaha, Tama, etc.,...) it will feel familiar, but be very light and flyable. The Trick utilizes this internal spring (like the Ludwig Speed King) on steroids and I must say, it took a while to get used to it.

Thanks guys, very helpful. I'm more built for comfort than speed so I definitely wouldn't want one of those super fast pedals where you have to get used to them to avoid accidental doubles. I need to do some feathering (with my fluffy bomber) so sensitivity matters.

Thanks guys, very helpful. I'm more built for comfort than speed so I definitely wouldn't want one of those super fast pedals where you have to get used to them to avoid accidental doubles. I need to do some feathering (with my fluffy bomber) so sensitivity matters.

With these high end pedals (Bo mentioned the Pro-1V, also KILLER pedals) you can pretty much customize them however you want. You would be able to fly as fast as you want to, or play slowly and quietly. I would definitely get a pair and see, if nothing else! Your feet will love you :D

Then I have an extra Tama Iron Cobra Jr. I could send you... I think they're ultra comfy.

Les, have you tried the Axis?

PFOG, happy to part with $$ for comfort. My R knee (along with a bunch of other joints) has issues. Just hoping to get some pain free playing in before I start the search for lightweight quality walking frames ;)

Pol, Les plays Axis and gives them an excellent wrap.

I've seen them used on Oz ebay from time to time (usually double pedals though to be honest)....but it's a matter of being patient. Needless to say, they are not a dime a dozen here. If you want to look on US ebay, you'd have a hell of a lot more luck and your dollar will buy you more.

The best advice I can offer for the Aussie market.............ignore the US$ prices you see posted here. Even though our Yankee mates have the best intentions, US retail prices are totally irrelevant to what you'll pay in Oz (assuming a straight currency conversion). Despite the A$ being almost at parity with the US$, the OZ retailers ignore this and you'll still pay a hell of a lot more (when converted) to any US list price.

So as great as the high end direct drive pedals are (don't forget the Peal Demon Drive in this catergory either), you're gonna pay through the nose for them here. Your best options are, used on Oz ebay (but, patience is definitely a virtue here)......US ebay (but, the shipping DOES cost a bit......after all, we're a loooong way away), or check out retail prices on something like the humble Pearl Eliminator (chain or strap driven, but with a million options to tailor the pedal just the way you like it). Check Hydes or the like.......they're always good for a deal.

Cheers PFOG. Happy to buy a new pedal. Given my gammy knee, having a new pedal soon rather than cheaply seems like a good idea.

I've been doing some research ... any thoughts on the Yamaha FP7210 and Peal eliminator? Performance? Weight?

I read that the DW 9000 is amazing but apparently really heavy ... pity ... I don't want more heavy stuff to lug.

Cheers PFOG. Happy to buy a new pedal. Given my gammy knee, having a new pedal soon rather than cheaply seems like a good idea.

I've been doing some research ... any thoughts on the Yamaha FP7210 and Peal eliminator? Performance? Weight?

I read that the DW 9000 is amazing but apparently really heavy ... pity ... I don't want more heavy stuff to lug.

I've tried the Elims and the DW9000....I'd suggest the Elims are a lighter feeling pedal - even more so if you removed the quad beater and put your fluffy bunny on there , but there's no denying the 9000 is smooth. The DW5000 is also a nice feeling pedal (although still a shade on the heavy side). I have no experience with the Yammie though.....I didn't see one there. The only one I really didn't like was the Iron Cobra.....just way too heavy for my tastes.

I went looking for new pedals several months ago and felt most comfortable on the Elims and was all set to get them, until I tried the direct drive DD (no Axis or Trick available to try unfortunately)....when he did me a killer deal on those it was game over

I'll give you the same advice as I give on every pedal thread though Pol.....get your feet on 'em. There's so many bells and whistles on higher end pedals it really does pay to sit yourself down with a bunch of them and go to town. I spent over an hour with a practice pad and all the pedals I wanted to try, tweaking this and adjusting that. Honestly, it can be a tough decision.

Ta PFOG. How would you compare the Eliminator and the Axis?

It would be pretty funny to have this massive, heavy pedal attached to a dinky 16" Rhythm Traveller ... and with a fluffy bunny attached to it ... maybe not a Cobra :)

It would be pretty funny to have this massive, heavy pedal attached to a dinky 16" Rhythm Traveller ... and with a fluffy bunny attached to it ... maybe not a Cobra :)

Comparing those two is pretty tough as they are two totally different animals and each have their own feel.

You say you have knee pain, have you looked at your positioning as far as seat height and position? That alone can have a big impact on how you feel, both pain and fatigue.

Comparing those two is pretty tough as they are two totally different animals and each have their own feel.

You say you have knee pain, have you looked at your positioning as far as seat height and position? That alone can have a big impact on how you feel, both pain and fatigue.

How about which one would be better suited to quiet playing? Speed isn't an issue because it's ain't that kind of music.

I've tried a few heights but all hurt (as does walking) so a pedal that doesn't require much work would be cool.

I've been doing some research ... any thoughts on the Yamaha FP7210 and Pearl eliminator?

Two completely different animals​
Yamaha - no floorplate. It would be a much better pedal, if it did.​
Eliminator - multi cam - maybe too much adjustment, you could fiddle with one for weeks, dialing it in.​
I've pretty much tried 'em all, and I put my money into the Yamaha Flying Dragon - Direct Drive. I bought 2 single pedals. For me, it beat out the Pearl Elim. and the Demon Drive, the DW 5000 and 9000, the Tama IC's, the Axis, the Pro V, the Gibraltar Intruder and Catapult and Direct Drive, the Sonor Giant Step. I think that's it. Oh, and the BOA (DW/PDP).​
If weight's a big concern, you pretty much have to forgo the floorboard. That leaves you with the Yamaha 7210. If you can "handle" the extra weight issue, a DW 5000, or the Iron Cobra, Jr ... good, simple, workhorse pedals.​
Or, find an old Camco pedal, in good shape, and call it a day.​

Konaboy's right Pol.....a more 'apples to apples' comparison would be Axis and a Demon Drive or the Yammie direct drive. Direct drive pedals are indeed a different animal to a chain or strap driven. I've found the direct drive to be very honest pedals, just a very different feel....took some adapting to actually, but now I'm sold. FWIW, I feel the direct drive pedals offer a lighter action (could be good for a gammy knee).....so much so, that I swapped the stock beaters out in order to get a little more weight higher up on the pedal.

The Elims would be more closely compared with the DW900, IC's et al.

How about which one would be better suited to quiet playing? Speed isn't an issue because it's ain't that kind of music.

Most of that will come down to your foot control. That said, the direct drive just feels lighter to me, when feathered. Or perhaps I should say, I feel as if I have a greater dynamic control........but this is definitely just my opinion.

Sure they're fast pedals.....but they're only as fast as they're played. If you don't need to rip 16ths at 1000bpm, then the pedals won't either. :)

Back