Would Dime/Pantera and Jimmy Hendrix be praised as much if they didn't die?

There is nothing the rock 'n roll community loves to do more than to remember and romanticize their dead heroes. All artists die eventually and for some reason, they're appreciated more after they're gone. Whether you're talking about Mozart or Picasso or Hendrix or Cobain, they all seem to follow the same pattern.

All of these guys were unique talents, and rarities...and were gone before you blinked. Why not remember and romanticize....the left us with wonderful contributions......we should all be so lucky ......

I think if they both deserve all the credit they get. Both were phenominal guitarists, and both were the best of the best. Sure if they were still alive now, they'd have a lot less respect because they'd get so huge people will just hate them because of that and try to knock them off their throne (I.E. Metallica). But nonethanless, the music would be great. Either way, everyone dies. Whether it be now or at 80, they will always have that legacy to carry.

But Pantera and Dimebag were the reason I am who I am, and their the reason I'm a metalhead. I will be the eternal Pantera fanboy. I almost cried the day I heard Dime died. So whenever I here something about them I might get a little bias and jump on any haters, but in this im being completely sirious. They both were amazing and deserve all the attention and recognition they deserve.

Also, to Harryconway, Dime was not only the flagship of that era, but the poineer of that era. Dimebag came before Zakk, and inspired him, hence Black Label Society's song "In This River".

Last edited:
All of these guys were unique talents, and rarities...and were gone before you blinked. Why not remember and romanticize....the left us with wonderful contributions......we should all be so lucky ......
I completely agree. I wasn't criticizing, just making an observation. :)

Had Hendrix lived I feel certain that he'd be making very great music this very day. It wouldn't be "Foxy Lady" though.

It's tantalizing to imagine just what he'd be producing if he'd managed to get out of his terrible managerial situation and truly strike out on his own. What a waste.

IMO I have always thought Hendrix was over hyped. I know for that time he was very original but as far as he goes I think his death helped his popularity even more.

Now Dime I'm kinda biased. To me there has been no other guitar player to ever come on the scene to match him (besides SRV but that's a different subject). I agree I think he got just as much praise alive as he does being dead.

This is slightly off topic and I might have my facts mixed up, but weren't composers such as Beethoven and Mozart appreciated more after their death than when they were alive.?

Back