Best drum cases or bags for the money?

MrKodySka

I am looking into buying drum cases or bags for around town and touring gigs. What are the best quality cases I can get for the money without over paying for cases? Pros/Cons of the cases and bags would be nice too.

It all depends on how much you want to protect your kit. I would recommend Ahead Armour Cases (same as the top end protection racket). pro is they're really crazy padded, but the con is they're not hardshell meaning they're not so resistant to impact (say if a speaker falls in a van).

Hardcase are what they say on the tin, but beware that they offer literally no padding inside the case (something that really hacked me off when I bought my first set!) I ended up customising mine by sheepskin lining every case (which took ages and wasn't particularly cheap!)

I tour a lot, and feel protecting my gear is paramount. After using both types, the ahead/protection racket (made in the same factory, just buy whichever is cheaper) are my choice. Be prepared to drop £200+ on a five piece set and cymbal case....

Hardcase are what they say on the tin, but beware that they offer literally no padding inside the case........

I'm assuming you're talking about the "Hardcase" brand of hard cases, yeah? They actually don't need any padding inside due to the telescopic nature of the lid design. There are the pads on the top and bottom that the drum hoops rest on and once the lid is secured and the straps pulled tight, the drum doesn't move at all. No need for side protection as per an SKB etc, as the drum is doesn't move around within the case itself.

I'm assuming you're talking about the "Hardcase" brand of hard cases, yeah? They actually don't need any padding inside due to the telescopic nature of the lid design. There are the pads on the top and bottom that the drum hoops rest on and once the lid is secured and the straps pulled tight, the drum doesn't move at all. No need for side protection as per an SKB etc, as the drum is doesn't move around within the case itself.

I have a Hardcase brand bass drum case and there is nothing in the top and bottom on mine, the bass drum moved around so much it started to scuff the lacquered hoops so I bought a padded bag that was cheap because it was NOS at the local drum store that I use as a liner to protect my bass drum, I have slowly been replacing all my cases with SKB and for the few dollars difference in the price they are the best bang for the buck, top notch product with great warranty and customer service. Ive had a couple of humes and berg, both types of protector, regular and elite plus the hardcase and the cheap nomads as well and a stagg and as far as im concerned I wish I had of bought skb to begin with.

They do say that, but the reality is it just doesn't work. I don't trust leaving my drums in a case that is bigger than the drum to be held in place by 3 external nylon straps. Mine moved around, so I home-brewed a remedy. If I had the money, I would oversize rash case by an inch or 2 and slam some armour cases inside them. That would be bulletproof!!!

They do say that, but the reality is it just doesn't work. I don't trust leaving my drums in a case that is bigger than the drum to be held in place by 3 external nylon straps. Mine moved around, so I home-brewed a remedy. If I had the money, I would oversize rash case by an inch or 2 and slam some armour cases inside them. That would be bulletproof!!!

Fair enough. Mine don't. Although I only have three snare cases and used to own an 18" FT case to judge by, but I have friends with the whole shebang and not a problem to speak of in all the years they've owned them. I think they're a great choice. A close second to SKB's (which are the best I've seen shy of professional touring road cases). From what I'm told though, Hardcase are no longer available in the States, so if the OP is a Yank then I guess it's a moot point anyway. ;-)

I have a Hardcase brand bass drum case and there is nothing in the top and bottom on mine,

Are they older models? The first time I saw them was nearly 20 years ago now. Those ones certainly didn't, but I believe they rectified that many years ago now. Any modern Hardcase has the padding top and bottom.

I waited for years to buy a good set of used cases and gave up. Everyone wanted almost as much as a new case set would cost, ironically sometimes more. What amazes me about drums is that many of us are playing drums worth less than half the cost of a good set of cases.

I researched around and decided on SKB Roto-x's. After I picked them I then asked for a package deal on a complete set of cases from 3 or 4 different places. I had a couple very competitive prices and went with the place I was most comfortable with. Going for the complete set really got me better all around price and the cases are really well made. SKB's are durable, fit great, are nicely padded and stack well. I had one small issue, a wheel on the roller gear box was drilled wrong. SKB quickly re-shipped a replacement within days. Good company, they back up product with very nice customer service.

Hands down, SKB. Regardless of the price of your kit, we all want/need our gear to last a lifetime. I'm on my second set of SKB's and absolutely love them. Great padding within the case and tough shells- just beware of the plastic clips. When the cases are open and the straps are laying around, they can easily be broken in a dark bar/venue if stepped on. However, they do have a lifetime warranty. My only complaint is the sizing- my Pearl Sessions fit beautifully with the OptiMounts, but my DW Suspension Tom Mounts are a bit snug. Both kits primarily go to local bar gigs and sometimes on the road, and I have always felt 100% confident with these cases; I'm pretty obsessive with my kits, so for me, that is saying quite a bit.

I have heard mixed reviews on the SKB cases, although I haven't experienced them first hand. I have heard horror stories of the glue that holds the padding in causing hardware to tarnish and pit badly. SKB were quick to replace under warranty (the case and the drum) but personally that would still cause me a massive PITA.

I would assume that the problem has now been rectified - I have SKB cases on various PA applications and they are superb; just be aware if you're buying used....

I have heard horror stories of the glue that holds the padding in causing hardware to tarnish and pit badly.

Foam or even glue doesn't cause drums to tarnish or pit.....moisture does....or in the case of pitting, it's often a reaction in the bonding process between chrome and aluminium. They just don't play well together. Hence why many old Supra's have pitted shells. That can happen in any case whether it's lined or not.

Hell, I used Ragone cases for nearly 20 years with no foam at all. They weren't a patch on the quality of SKB (or even Hardcase), yet strangely enough no tarnish, pitting or even a scratch to talk about.

I don't have much experience besides Protection Racket, but I can't imagine bags getting much better than these, especially not for the price. Only minor complaints would be with the rolling hardware cases, but it's hardly worth mentioning and I think they have upgraded it anyway.

Foam or even glue doesn't cause drums to tarnish or pit.....moisture does....or in the case of pitting, it's often a reaction in the bonding process between chrome and aluminium. They just don't play well together. Hence why many old Supra's have pitted shells. That can happen in any case whether it's lined or not.

Hell, I used Ragone cases for nearly 20 years with no foam at all. They weren't a patch on the quality of SKB (or even Hardcase), yet strangely enough no tarnish, pitting or even a scratch to talk about.

As I say, I have no experience of this first hand, but I distinctly remember reading about it when I bought cases for with my Yamaha. A quick google search will reveal I'm sure. The glue residues were definitely causing issues that's stressed a lot of people out.....

As I say, I have no experience of this first hand, but I distinctly remember reading about it when I bought cases for with my Yamaha. A quick google search will reveal I'm sure. The glue residues were definitely causing issues that's stressed a lot of people out.....

I'm Googling mate.....have been doing so for half an hour. Several references to the glue not holding the foam in properly, several references to a tight squeeze with Optimounts/ RIMS style mounts. Can't find a thing about the glue causing pitting/rusting/tarnishing. Can you link me? Your post is the first time I've ever heard of this and at the risk of sounding difficult, I'm highly skeptical.

EDIT: I have found one thread on the Pearl forum citing the glue in Gator cases as being the cause of rust and another from here at DW. Nothing about SKB though.
http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?251998-Rusted-Hardware

http://cdn-x.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?p=925922

All seems pretty inconclusive to me regardless. But even so, it would seem the problem is limited to Gator cases and not SKB.

Last edited:
I'm Googling mate.....have been doing so for half an hour. Several references to the glue not holding the foam in properly, several references to a tight squeeze with Optimounts/ RIMS style mounts. Can't find a thing about the glue causing pitting/rusting/tarnishing. Can you link me? Your post is the first time I've ever heard of this and at the risk of sounding difficult, I'm highly skeptical.

EDIT: I have found one thread on the Pearl forum citing the glue in Gator cases as being the cause of rust and another from here at DW. Nothing about SKB though.
http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?251998-Rusted-Hardware

http://cdn-x.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?p=925922

All seems pretty inconclusive to me regardless. But even so, it would seem the problem is limited to Gator cases and not SKB.

In which case, my apologies. As I said, it was a distant memore from what back when, and it could also have been Gator (I remembered it was the same brand as some of my rackmount cases, and I have gator also).

Ignore everything I have said!!!

The SKB's for my Pearl's are 6 years old- the kit has been in nothing but the SKB's, and I can tell you all that the DO NOT cause rust. The only issue is when the hardware peels the lining, exposing the glue which does nothing more than put sticky stuff on your gear. A bit annoying, yeah. A bit hard to remove, yeah, but NO serious damage.

Use a bit of care when loading your kit, and all is fine. I almost mentioned in my previous post, that these are not cases you want your bandmates/friends loading your gear into, simply for this reason. However, I feel unless you are a touring musician with paid roadies, you, the drum owner, should be the only one handling your precious gear.....

OH YEH ! it was gator that had all the problems with glue and damage to the drums but when I had contacted them about the damage to my vintage Tama Rockstars they assured me it was something I did and not the fault of their cases and now they are paying out claims after selling my rockstars and cases for a fraction of what they were worth due to the damage. Go figure, just my luck. FYI Gator you SUCK!!!!!!!!! and SKB ROCKS!!!!!!

I am looking into buying drum cases or bags for around town and touring gigs. What are the best quality cases I can get for the money without over paying for cases? Pros/Cons of the cases and bags would be nice too.

What are you putting them in?

Truck? Wagon? Van? Bobtail? Sedan? How high is the lift gate?

If you're moving your kit in a car - lots of small, dedicated soft cases may be best - they'll fit better, and you can toss them in with no worries.

If you have a truck or van - one large multi-tom case from Craigs will be cheaper per drum-inch, be tougher, have better resale some day, be a much faster load (one trip) and have that "woah" factor when you roll into a gig. Much better for the personal branding.

Hardware - who the hell wants a giant golf bag with teeny skateboard wheels on one end and a handle on the other? Those bags suck. So you'll want a hard case for hardware so you can stack the rest of your cases on it. Of course, this only works in a truck bed or a van.

Cymbals? How many do you bring? A large multi-tom ATA case will have a cymbal sleeve... A Cymbal vault plastic roto case is nice - you can drop them 2 or three times before they break and chip the corners. Soft bags are nice - as long as you don't overload them.

Decisions decisions.

For me, I'm no longer in a truck. I'm in a Toyota Land Cruiser. So I have leather interior, seats that (mostly) fold down. I moved from three large ATA trap cases to a grip of Protection Racket bags for toms and Cymbals, and a low-boy ATA roller case to stack them all on. The loan hard case (SKB) is for my 98 Craviotto Snare. Everything else lives in Protection Racket bags.

What you move your rig in (read: your car, van, truck, bus, whatever) is the most important factor in deciding how to carry your drums and hardware.

-Ken

Back