Greg Hutchinson

murphinelli

Another hot drummer that doesn't seem to have a page in the forum??....

I've been listening to Passage of Time - Joshua Redman for a while. And Greg is hot here. Boy can Joshua pick drummers. Him and Scofield seem to have the drummers right up my alley. I put Greg in a similar camp to Brian Blade, Bill Stewart, and others.

Anyone else following Greg? Any other recommendations from his discography? Thanks.

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Greg_Hutchinson.html

yeah,i've heard him on the jazz radio...i remember his name,but not any particular cuts...and kenny washington,too...bill stewart i'm very familar with.

I only have one CD with him on, and that's a Christian McBride Band CD. Great drummer, though, fo' sure.

Another hot drummer that doesn't seem to have a page in the forum??....

I've been listening to Passage of Time - Joshua Redman for a while. And Greg is hot here. Boy can Joshua pick drummers. Him and Scofield seem to have the drummers right up my alley. I put Greg in a similar camp to Brian Blade, Bill Stewart, and others.

Anyone else following Greg? Any other recommendations from his discography? Thanks.

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Greg_Hutchinson.html

greg is a great drummer and a great musician. was passage of time the first joshua redman album, the one w/ salt peanuts. you can also check out "look what ive got" w/ betty carter, "its alright to swing" w/ eric reed, of course there's the number of recordings w/ chris mcbride, there's a trio record out w/ ray brown, and the first roy hargrove album (live album) has greg on it. all great recordings.

I saw Greg playing with the Sam Yahel Trio who are opening up for Steely Dan. I absolutely loved his sense of timing and groove as well as his dynamics and creativity. Boy can this guy swing! He is like a contemporary version of Elvin with a fair amount of Zigaboo. Great player and one to watch out for in the future!!

Paul

Wooooah. I'm really loving some Hutch lately. Joe Henderson's Lush Life is a spectacular record. It's a Billy Strahorn tribute. Greg's playing is really really great and his cymbal beat is totally infectious. Either the first or second track on the record has for or five incredible drum breaks. Henderson and Hutchinson also have a duet later on the album thats awesome. On top of all this stuff, he's an awesome brush player. He uses the counter-clockwise sweep like Kenny Washington. Great player all around.

beyond - joshua redman is another great album with hutch. seeing him live is so much better than the recordings though. so intense.

Anyone picked up compass?

Hutch and Brian Blade on a couple of tracks together. The drums are hard panned too, so you can really get a feel for who is playing what. Great album altogether.

Saw him at Melbourne Jazz with Redman, he signed my ticket.

What a monster! Any other good albums you've heard him on?

I'm perpetually surprised at the lack of attention this guy gets. I've been listening to the first Joshua Redman album a lot lately and his playing is just superb. The near perfect recording quality is nice as well :) I really enjoy the way he slides so gracefully between different feels.

Wooooah. I'm really loving some Hutch lately. Joe Henderson's Lush Life is a spectacular record. It's a Billy Strahorn tribute. Greg's playing is really really great and his cymbal beat is totally infectious. Either the first or second track on the record has for or five incredible drum breaks. Henderson and Hutchinson also have a duet later on the album thats awesome. On top of all this stuff, he's an awesome brush player. He uses the counter-clockwise sweep like Kenny Washington. Great player all around.

i transcribed those :) awesome stuff

Attachments

• Gregory Hutchinson - Johnny Come Lately trades.pdf
    29.4 KB · Views: 210
Bump for Hutch, there needs to be WAY more talk about him on this site... I want to talk about his technique, his touch, all of that, he is such a bad mf

Back