Working on a cruise ship

Is it okay to , hmmm, how should i say this.....fraternize with the lovely female guests on a cruise ship if you're part of the cruise staff?

Is it okay to , hmmm, how should i say this.....fraternize with the lovely female guests on a cruise ship if you're part of the cruise staff?

No, it is strictly forbidden to fraternise with guests.

Don't get me wrong, it does happen, and sometimes even with a wink and a nudge for officers and well-connected staff, but official policy is that it is forbidden. It's one of a list of things that will usually see you disembarking and flying home at the first convenient port.

I guess it's entirely possible that someone in a cruise ship band can voluntarily take a 2nd job on the ship, so long as they don't interfere with each other, eh?

Yes, but usually those jobs aren't working in restaurants, galleys, dining areas or in guest cabins. The entertainment staff isn't supposed to be seen doing that kind of thing. It is usually reserved for people at a much lower pay grade, with fewer privileges, and with less public profile. There is a very clear - and sometimes very ugly - class divide on cruise ships and in contrast to many other places in the world, musicians fall on the upper side of that divide on ships.

There are some odd jobs available for staff to make some extra pocket cash - e.g. assisting the photographers, assisting the art auctioneer (a lot of musos did this on Holland America Line) but most required jobs have an assigned function and a person filling that function.

Last edited:
Yes, but usually those jobs aren't working in restaurants, galleys, dining areas or in guest cabins. The entertainment staff isn't supposed to be seen doing that kind of thing. It is usually reserved for people at a much lower pay grade, with fewer privileges, and with less public profile. There is a very clear - and sometimes very ugly - class divide on cruise ships and in contrast to many other places in the world, musicians fall on the upper side of that divide on ships.

There are some odd jobs available for staff to make some extra pocket cash - e.g. assisting the photographers, assisting the art auctioneer (a lot of musos did this on Holland America Line) but most required jobs have an assigned function and a person filling that function.

That is correct. My roommate used to help in the art auctions for extra cash. But cleaning or waiting tables is a job that consists of long, long hours. And to wait tables, you would need to go to a ship that trains for that before going to your regular ship. That is why you will not see musicians doing these jobs.

And sometimes they have a hard enough time getting talented musicians that can read charts. There are many people out there who can't sightread well enough. Do you really think that they would lose talent by making them clean tables?

No, it is strictly forbidden to fraternise with guests.

Don't get me wrong, it does happen, and sometimes even with a wink and a nudge for officers and well-connected staff, but official policy is that it is forbidden. It's one of a list of things that will usually see you disembarking and flying home at the first convenient port.
Yes, that is something that can get you fired. You are usually allowed to date other workers on the ship though.

Jeff

Last edited:
I just spoke to my Dad who was at one time a musical director for one of the major cruise lines. He says everything explained by jeffwj was dead on correct.

Now he did say that some lines will make you play a little more than others, while others will let you get by with a little less. But most of that has little to do with the cruise line and more about the attitudes and behaviors of different cruise directors, some of whom apparently never sleep.He recalled once getting a call from a cruise director at 4 in the morning complaining that there was no background music in one of the bars. Dad told the guy that no one was in the bar because it was 4 in the morning, but the guy still insisted music start cranking. So he put a CD in the house system and turned it way down, and that apparently satisfied the guy. Supposedly, the coolest fights go on between bandmasters and cruise directors, and the other musicians never know what happened. Still there were other times he says when the cruise director was great.

I've played on many ships when I was younger and unless you are a headliner doing th ebig show, I would have to say it was the worst experience ever. Not only will you share a cabin with at least one other person, if you like to party, and most great musicians do, you are SOL! You can't take the hottie you met to her room and go at it either, as that is off limits and you are pretty much treated like crap. Now I have done gigs on there with a much bigger, headlining band where you only play a few shows and then you were treated like kings. The good thing is, once you are at sea, especially one that won't dock for a few days, you can do what you want and just say screw it, as the worst thing that can happen is they fire you, which if you are really, really, good, won't happen.

Back