Jazz Head for Snare

RobertM

Platinum Member
Any good suggestions for a snare head for jazz work?

I'm thinking either good ol' Remo Coated Ambassador or Aquarian Modern Vintage Coated. I've heard that the Evans J1 Etched is not that great for brush work. I'm also considering the Aquarian Jack DeJohnette head, but I'm not fond of the way they bleed black ink all over your hands (when sweating).

Snare I'm using is Tama Starclassic Maple 4x14.

Thanks!

Fiberskyn Diplomat is wonderful for Jazz.

i havent gotten into the remos really because i usually dont have a lot of money to throw around so i cant necissarily afford to experiment with different heads, so ive just stuck to evens as i always have.

but i like my j1 etched, they arent durrable by any means, and the brushes dont get the loudest sound, but it sounds really nice on my mars pro snare and you can pull some really warm tones out of it with brushes. so it depends what youre going for really. but i will stand by j1 etched heads for jazz snares

Fiberskyns work nicely, as they are just unique. The brush sound will be a sweet swish and not scratchy, but beware as this doesn't project well (especially with lighter brushes). However you don't have to worry about it wearing out... Remo Coated heads are great for a short time, as then the coating wears smooth and the brush effect is gone. Renaissance heads are amazing as they don't lose any texture and have a sensitive sound. I'm using Evans G1s on my kit right now as I can't afford any more of Remo's quality issues (too many defective heads). Evans coating stays on very well, so I like it for brushes. For the best long lasting brush effect go for Remo Renaissance, although Fiberskyns and traditional coated heads are fine too. Jeff Hamilton plays Fiberskyn Diplomats (these play more like Ambassador heads as the Fibery stuff adds some weight to the head) while Peter Erskine plays J1s.

Back