Zickos formally gone.

Zickos

Gold Member
I don't know how long this has been up, but I thought I'd share. I know most of you don't know about these drums, but I do. I've been playing them since 1973 and I love mine.

"Since the late 1960s, we've been putting our hearts, our minds and what often seemed like our very souls into manufacturing some of the finest sounding drums available anywhere.

But now, due largely to continuing family obligations, we've made the decision to cease making our beloved drums. While it wasn't easy coming to that conclusion, it was one that needed to be done.

In recent years, we have been approached occasionally by various manufacturers or individuals who wanted to purchase the company and continue the Zickos brand. We were definitely flattered, but frankly, both Bill Zickos and myself were never really confident that they would be able to continue making the drums they way we felt they should be made.

So, instead, we preferred winding down our operations and doing the equivalent of riding off into the sunset with our heads held high.

Effective immediately, we will not be accepting orders for new drums.

To those countless drummers out there who have been almost like family to us, we express our deep-felt thanks for letting us into their lives. And to all of you we say, live in peace, always try to do the right thing and, if you're going to do something, do it well.

John Brazelton

President
Zickos Drum Company"

The end of an era.
Interesting drums that were made by an interesting family of craftsman.
I understand their not wanting to sell the company and see their product altered.

It's sad to see any company large or small cease to exist, and even sadder to know that they had buyers, but didn't want to sell, but completely understandable. Your name and reputation are things that should never be compromised at any cost. although I had never heard of them before this forum, the loss of another drum maunfacturer is a sad occasion.

Hat's off to them not letting Zickos go the way of Rogers or Slingerland. They took the high road... two big thumbs up!!

Not only do I applaud their decision to stick to their principals, but also to maintain them after their involvement has finished. The real shame is that, in this industry dominated by major brands & the quest for ever reduced production costs (mostly outsourcing), a principled & individual maker has gone from the mix. Ever diminishing choice is never a good thing for drummers, no matter how much more affordable the instruments become.

R.I.P. Zickos!

How sad to hear. Some of the coolest drums ever. Zick, your set just nudged up a bit in price/collectability!

Oh, good! I thought for a second you were talking about YOURSELF, Zickos. Phew!

Mandatory smiley: :)

Thanks for your concern, Caddywumpus. I'm still around and plan on being here for quite some time. Someone needs to be the official smartalec around here.

Back