Can A Metal Drummer Play A Pop Song Well?

Hey everyone! It's been a bit since i've posted, but I wanted your guys' thoughts on this.

I'm a metal drummer, so i'm used to playing a 10000000 notes all the time. I tried my hand at playing to a pop song, and well I kind of impressed myself. I still feel like I over played a little, but I surprisingly had fun playing this.

https://youtu.be/MTh1VB7frlU

Of course a metal drummer can play a pop song, but there will be repercussions.

All the other metal musicians will laugh at you! ;-)

They can if they work on stuff besides hitting their bass drum really fast. Unfortunately, I've met lots of "metal" drummers who spend almost all their time on that and don't really worry about other styles or techniques (except the weird "blast beat" obsession).

If you're overplaying because you're used to other genres, then you should look at that some more. You should always serve the song, and not play anything extra out of habit. That goes for "metal" too. I think if people used space more effectively, I might get into some of those styles more.

No, a metal drummer can not play a pop song. You just violated one of the supreme laws of drumming. And you had fun doing it which tacks on several other violations of the drumming code of ethics.

Well done. But don't do it again.

No, a metal drummer can not play a pop song. You just violated one of the supreme laws of drumming. And you had fun doing it which tacks on several other violations of the drumming code of ethics.

Well done. But don't do it again.

Yessa massa... haha
Good thing I didn't stop reading after the first paragraph! :0

They can if they work on stuff besides hitting their bass drum really fast. Unfortunately, I've met lots of "metal" drummers who spend almost all their time on that and don't really worry about other styles or techniques (except the weird "blast beat" obsession).

If you're overplaying because you're used to other genres, then you should look at that some more. You should always serve the song, and not play anything extra out of habit. That goes for "metal" too. I think if people used space more effectively, I might get into some of those styles more.

Its definitely going to open some different ideas and creative concepts. I'm definitely going to explore a little further, and see what flaws and I come across in my playing.

P.s Blast beats are an obsession... for some odd reason.

Its definitely going to open some different ideas and creative concepts. I'm definitely going to explore a little further, and see what flaws and I come across in my playing.
Awesome sauce. If you want a real kick in the pants, learn some "real" jazz. It's very different from most other styles from a drummer perspective.

P.s Blast beats are an obsession... for some odd reason.
I think it's just something to focus on... I've met people who got obsessed with one small niche or another and it's usually kind of detrimental overall. You get really good at that thing which typically has limited application in the real world... And then it tends to get over-used in your playing because you spent so much time perfecting the mechanics and thinking about it. I've seen this as an example with things like guys getting obsessed with double stroke rolls, or my personal favorite guys who get way too into the "moeller stroke".

Funny timing on the thread here. There was a drummer at an open mic last night who kept putting snare blast beats into like everything the guys were trying to play.

Awesome sauce. If you want a real kick in the pants, learn some "real" jazz. It's very different from most other styles from a drummer perspective.

I think it's just something to focus on... I've met people who got obsessed with one small niche or another and it's usually kind of detrimental overall. You get really good at that thing which typically has limited application in the real world... And then it tends to get over-used in your playing because you spent so much time perfecting the mechanics and thinking about it. I've seen this as an example with things like guys getting obsessed with double stroke rolls, or my personal favorite guys who get way too into the "moeller stroke".

Funny timing on the thread here. There was a drummer at an open mic last night who kept putting snare blast beats into like everything the guys were trying to play.

Aboot 10 years ago I was really into the jazz thing, but i've definitely lost touch. It's most apparent in my playing now, and have only recently started exploring other styles again. Any jazz bands you might suggest?

That can get annoying really quick. Just play the damn song, right?

I know Derek Roddy can. Been there as a witness.

Last edited:
No, man.
You turned it into a prog hybrid.
If the other musicians played to what you played, they would be changing it up as much as you did.

Pop is simple (in order) to be mesmerising.

Last edited:
Good playing on the track - there's no question you can do it. But I wonder if in metal music, do you actually fill with stuff out-of-time and over-the-bar? Most of my time is spent playing classics like "Knock on wood" or "Mustang Sally" and if I did fills like yours I'd be fired. So you can play pop music, but your pocket can be deeper without the wacky fills.

I think if you pay some attention to guys like Steve Jordan, Jeff Porcaro, and J.R. Robinson (among many others) then you will achieve your end goal of being a groovy player as well as a Metalist.

Your fills stick out like dog balls. Lay it back a bit and play for the song not to show off. Most pop music isn't known for the drumming.

Your fills stick out like dog balls. Lay it back a bit and play for the song not to show off. Most pop music isn't known for the drumming.

This is so.
Why should it be so?
Let's make it not so!

Back