Could have been awkward ...

Magenta

Platinum Member
Today I noticed a "Drummer Wanted" ad on Facebook. The guy said his band played the sort of thing that I reckon I could manage, and the geographical area he mentioned is convenient for me. He also said that he wasn't bothered about the drummer's age. I thought "Why not?" - and just as I was about to put finger to keyboard I thought I'd better check him out and have a look at his profile.

The first thing I noticed was that he lives in the next village to me. Even more convenient.

The second thing I noticed was that we had several friends in common.

The third thing I noticed was that two of them are my daughters - they were at school together!

I'm sure the poor lad didn't envisage his friends' mum playing in his band, haga! And before you ask, No, I didn't message him, although the idea is tempting.

It could as well be a lot of fun. Go show your chops (or groove :)) then introduce yourself just before they hire you and enjoy the funny looks...

Close call, that one. You really ought to message him just to see the look of surprise on his face...

I really am tempted.

It could as well be a lot of fun. Go show your chops (or groove :)) then introduce yourself just before they hire you and enjoy the funny looks...

I think my daughters would die of embarrassment! Luckily they don't live round here any more. But maybe it would be a lot of fun, as you say. Hmmm.

He could be right up your alley!

Oops :)

My harem of Very Nice Young Men is pretty full, but I suppose there's always room for one more ...

If you want to remain on good terms with your daughters, don't embarrass them in front of their friends. On the other hand, you could also use it as a bargaining chip. (You won't audition if your daughters agree to paint the house for instance)

If you want to remain on good terms with your daughters, don't embarrass them in front of their friends.

Thanks for the vote of confidence in my drumming skillz, Larry!

On the other hand, you could also use it as a bargaining chip. (You won't audition if your daughters agree to paint the house for instance)

Now THAT idea has merit.

Ack! I didn't mean it like that. What I meant is...Oh nevermind. I'll probably just dig myself in deeper.

Go for it!

Maybe subtly get an idea of any possible ageism first.

And how would he even know you're related to your daughters? And even if he did, he might not care, or he might think it's amusing. Or something.

Someone else's maybe/maybe not embarrassment is a bad reason to not make music.

You could always give him a fake last name.

I've been known to be somewhat oblivious of social norms, lol, but I would do it. I've had friends of my son ask me to jam, and I'm friends with some of my friends' kids, if that makes any sense. If your children are grown, I say treat them as adults! :D

Unless you want your house painted...

If your children are grown, I say treat them as adults! :D

I am thinking about it, mainly because they ARE adults, they're all around 20. It's not as if they're 15 when I'm 50. That would be icky.

You could always give him a fake last name.

All my names are fake.

Maybe I'll ask my daughters discreetly (hah) what he's like. If they say he isn't a total knob, I'll think about it some more.

Maybe I'll ask my daughters discreetly (hah) what he's like. If they say he isn't a total knob, I'll think about it some more.
I think that's the way to go. And don't forget, there's also the possibility that your now-grown-up daughters couldn't give a toss that their mum is playing in a band with an old school friend. I honestly don't see how this would affect their lives one way or the other (especially since they no longer live in the area).

I think that's the way to go. And don't forget, there's also the possibility that your now-grown-up daughters couldn't give a toss that their mum is playing in a band with an old school friend. I honestly don't see how this would affect their lives one way or the other (especially since they no longer live in the area).

+1. Imagining being in my 20s and having my Mum playing drums in a band with my friends - priceless!

Well, apparently he is a nice lad, but the consensus is Please Don't Do It, Mum, so that's that.

Ok. Some of them are fake, some are purloined!

I say go for it. I'm sure your daughters will be absolutely mortified now but in a few years time they'll realise just how cool you actually are!

Back