Keeping track of your gigs?

I doubt I'll get a nickel for any of my personal info. :(

Bermuda

I'd gladly pay 3 cents :)

Look at me poking fun at a world famous drummer.

What a great place!

*runs for cover, just in case*

I do actually have a book in mind someday, and I already have the title:

E before I? That's Weird!
(The Story Behind the Man Behind the Drums Behind the Man Behind the Accordion.)

To bo totally honest, I think you have a great idea there!!

This is a book I would definitely judge by it's cover. :) Do it!!

I do actually have a book in mind someday, and I already have the title:

E before I? That's Weird!
(The Story Behind the Man Behind the Drums Behind the Man Behind the Accordion.):)

Good idea for a book. I'd buy it.

But I'd be much more interested in the technical part of being a touring drummer. Hardware and sound challenges etc. You know all of the stories of setup, making things work and the failures.

I wish I did.

I did a few shows with a Punk band down near LA and the guitar player kept one of the flyers from each and every show he played. He always made sure to save one, or at the least, keep a picture of the flyer in his records. He has a really cool folder of them on his phone he can show at any time.

As you may imagine, with a punk band especially, this method of keeping track leaves you with a lot of "colorful" records. I'm jealous of his collection, but almost don't see the point in starting my own this late in the game.

I keep a Google Maps log of every venue I've ever played at since my first ever gig to today's date.

Just counted it up and it's 115 different venues. What this list doesn't tell me is each time I've played each venue so it's a nice way to remember venues and log their location it doesn't count my total gig count. Looking at the map a LOT are in London (around 70 different venues in London the last 10 years since I moved to near the area).

I've probably played a large majority of London venues counted with fingers on two hands. I'd love to have kept a more up to date list in terms of figures/dates but if I tried to remember it wouldn't in no way be accurate. It took me long enough to backdate the venues in the list back to my first ever gig when I started creating it a handful of years ago now. I can almost remember the headaches ; )

It's nice to keep this list though for memory sake and it's pretty to look at all the blue pin locations, although saying that google have moved toward a less fancy star location pin (little gripe of mine there) it's also sad to find venues that were special to me/the bands no longer in business and closed.

I do try and keep a flyer from each show I play these days. One day I'll go through the box of flyers/demos/articles/memories when I can brave it.

EDIT: If anyone's interested in seeing what I mean the link is below. When I share the link it only shows the blue pins and not the latest google format of stars so some venues are missing but you get the idea of what I mean.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1DxmGmDO5xuN2EU49Zo24kecpTII&shorturl=1&ll=51.50209383476336%2C-0.13318611100100952&z=13

Last edited:
With a certain band I was in, I kept a scrap book of flyers, photos, write ups and such about the band. I thought it would be cool once we were famous rock starts to have our rise to fame documented like that. haha.

Needless to say that didn't work out.

Outside of that band, no.

Thanks, I've always been part pack-rat, part historian with just about everything I do that's worth doing.

Bermuda

Likely it's part compulsion and part habit - I'd bet it would be easier for a smoker to quit, than for you to stop journaling. ;-)

My dad recorded the high and low temperature of the day, any precipitation, significant birthdays and anything worth noting on his calendar - every day - from the early 1950's through his death in November 2014. One day my brother and I were arguing about our success during a certain years' deer season. Dad got up quietly, dug in his file drawer, removed two calendars and pronounced us BOTH wrong! He didn't get paid, but the look on his face was priceless!

Keep doing what you do, Bermuda! After you retire, donate your journals to the R&R Hall of Fame. They'll know what to do with them!

Likely it's part compulsion and part habit - I'd bet it would be easier for a smoker to quit, than for you to stop journaling. ;-)

At this point, when I'm closer to the end of my career than the beginning (or the middle!) it would probably be silly to stop documenting events. Might as well ride it out with the knowledge and goal that one of these days, it will be a completed work.

Bermuda

It's worth taking it to a repair place for file recovery. If it's a mechanical problem, they can remove the disc inside and install it into a working drive, then transfer the files.

I'd recommend backing up your files a few different ways, and as redundantly as you are willing to invest in your legacy. I have everything on backup drives that are regenerated every year. That is, I currently have 10 years worth of hard drives with all of my files and documents, and all of that is additionally backed-up on M-Disc DVDs (more permanent than dye-based media.) The DVDs and drives are housed in fire safes, so they're pretty secure, short of a nuclear incident.

Bermuda
Thanks Bermuda (late answer - sorry), you're right and I should do that!

I keep a notebook where I write down various things but that's all. You guys are more organized than I am.

Back