DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > DrummerWorld Site News

DrummerWorld Site News What's New at DrummerWorld

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-11-2015, 11:48 AM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20,860
Default Issues since site maintenance

For me, the site has been a bit of a bear to operate since the maintenance the other day. I'm having to frequently force reload the page, & I still can't upload any pictures to the forum. I just get a "failed upload" message, & I've tried every trick I can think of. Help!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-11-2015, 12:49 PM
JustJames's Avatar
JustJames JustJames is online now
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 3,000
Default Re: Issues since site maintenance

I've noticed that attached pics are no longer displaying, even on old threads.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-11-2015, 01:33 PM
Bernhard's Avatar
Bernhard Bernhard is offline
Founder Drummerworld
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Riehen - Basel - Switzerland
Posts: 2,222
Default Re: Issues since site maintenance

yes, not so easy to solve, because PHP outdated and not working properly on new server....
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-11-2015, 02:13 PM
BacteriumFendYoke's Avatar
BacteriumFendYoke BacteriumFendYoke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canterbury. The One With the Cathedral.
Posts: 6,382
Default Re: Issues since site maintenance

An absolutely innocent question Bernhard and this is in no way a dig but could it be time to update to a newer version of VBulletin? I know the current VBulletin layouts might upset a few people and it would be a big job but I'm concerned that the current version isn't viable for a number of reasons. Security being the first on the list.
__________________
PEWFLADCC
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-11-2015, 03:07 PM
Bernhard's Avatar
Bernhard Bernhard is offline
Founder Drummerworld
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Riehen - Basel - Switzerland
Posts: 2,222
Default Re: Issues since site maintenance

The new versions of v-bulletin are getting very bad press and don't really work - as i read on several sources - after the original company was sold. So at the moment not sure what to do...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-11-2015, 03:10 PM
BacteriumFendYoke's Avatar
BacteriumFendYoke BacteriumFendYoke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canterbury. The One With the Cathedral.
Posts: 6,382
Default Re: Issues since site maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard View Post
The new versions of v-bulletin are getting very bad press and don't really work - as i read on several sources - after the original company was sold. So at the moment not sure what to do...
I'm on one forum that uses the new VBulletin and it's quite difficult to navigate. I'm not a fan of the way that it works - I think the layout here is ideal, it's just the age of the software and problems that brings at issue.

Hope you find a decent option Bernhard!
__________________
PEWFLADCC
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-11-2015, 10:13 PM
Tommy_D's Avatar
Tommy_D Tommy_D is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,381
Default Re: Issues since site maintenance

The Vdrums forum uses the most recent version of Vbulletin and the nightmare of hiccups, crashes, unbelievably slow load times (over half a minute), upload failures and overall instability turned that forum in to a ghost town. Within 6 months 75% of the users disappeared. I have completely stopped using that forum because it is not worth the time and energy wasted to load it.

I am experiencing no issues since the last update was done. My laptop, phone and work computer all load and navigate the forum just fine.

Andy, if you are having trouble loading images on the site, just try using the external image tags to load an image. [img] insert image address between these two tags [/img]
__________________
Tommy D's Drums
Cymbals for Sale
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-11-2015, 10:55 PM
Bernhard's Avatar
Bernhard Bernhard is offline
Founder Drummerworld
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Riehen - Basel - Switzerland
Posts: 2,222
Default Re: Issues since site maintenance

Tommy - thanks for writing.
But yes, there are several problems not resolved. Uploading pics the normal way through attachment is disturbed at the moment. And: the external image tags you propose: yes, but these pictures need to stay where they are - only linked - and not put into the DW-database....


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_D View Post
The Vdrums forum uses the most recent version of Vbulletin and the nightmare of hiccups, crashes, unbelievably slow load times (over half a minute), upload failures and overall instability turned that forum in to a ghost town. Within 6 months 75% of the users disappeared. I have completely stopped using that forum because it is not worth the time and energy wasted to load it.

I am experiencing no issues since the last update was done. My laptop, phone and work computer all load and navigate the forum just fine.

Andy, if you are having trouble loading images on the site, just try using the external image tags to load an image. [img] insert image address between these two tags [/img]
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-12-2015, 12:29 AM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20,860
Default Re: Issues since site maintenance

Thank you Bernhard. I thought it was a problem specific to me, or maybe a certain browser, hence me starting a thread to encourage someone to advise me. Now I know it's a site issue, I'll just wait until someone who's smarter than me to sort it out. I'm useless at this kind of thing.

As always, thank you for sticking with this Bernhard.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-12-2015, 12:52 AM
Tommy_D's Avatar
Tommy_D Tommy_D is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,381
Default Re: Issues since site maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard View Post
Tommy - thanks for writing.
But yes, there are several problems not resolved. Uploading pics the normal way through attachment is disturbed at the moment. And: the external image tags you propose: yes, but these pictures need to stay where they are - only linked - and not put into the DW-database....
Certainly. People can open a free flickr account and host their photos there, then externally link them with the image tags. Voila! I find I actually get a lot more control of the images, where they fall in my posts, and I get to choose the size of the image, along with what level of quality I want without the restrictions the forums database can support.
__________________
Tommy D's Drums
Cymbals for Sale
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com