Another great clip from Virgil

I love Virgil's sense of space in his playing here. So open yet full. Just wicked.

Thanks for sharing!

What is just as amazing are Virgil's writing skills. I've seen a few videos about this new recording. Absolutely monster players all around.

On another forum I saw a video of Virgil playing a 4/5/6/7 thing. Totally mindblowing how easily he knocks it out. Not to say you cannot see some serious concentration but, still. The man is a drumming calculator.

Nice one, looks like I missed it when it first came out!

I love Virgil's sense of space in his playing here. So open yet full. Just wicked.

Thanks for sharing!

His style has morphed in recent times, and his kick hat (+ex hat) snare stuff is just awesome now. He uses those little bounce triple strokes and his backbeat is like a shotgun. There's no one like him.

I got to see the 4/5/6/7 thing in person a few years back... 2010 maybe? Anyway, I'm not trying to one-up you, but seeing and hearing what he plays in person when you're only a couple of metres away from the stage is absolutely mesmerising. Recordings don't do him justice - you don't get the same sense of his power, clarity and feel as you do when you're right there in the same room.

I'm looking forward to the next chance of seeing him live again!

Wow...never really checked him out til now, thanks! Downloading "In This Life".

I got to see the 4/5/6/7 thing in person a few years back... 2010 maybe? Anyway, I'm not trying to one-up you, but seeing and hearing what he plays in person when you're only a couple of metres away from the stage is absolutely mesmerising. Recordings don't do him justice - you don't get the same sense of his power, clarity and feel as you do when you're right there in the same room.

I'm looking forward to the next chance of seeing him live again!

That can be, or has been said for a lot of drummers. Elvin, Buddy, Cobham, Max, Tony ... others come to mind. It's really the difference between seeing a storm on film and being in a storm.

On film I have never seen a player hit with such force using traditional grip. You'd think he'd be shattering sticks constantly.

From an instructional point of view, as far as film, I really hate this change the scene every three or four seconds stuff you see producers of videos do. If you're in the room you have one view and you can concentrate better watching what's happening and the experience of the sound from that position is more 'force of nature' kind of thing with players like Virgil.

Back