Getting used to earplugs

kellyB

Hey all,

Shelled out for some custom earplugs a while ago but I've been having some real trouble using them in combo and big band. They came with 10db and 20db filters. I've been using the 10db ones and have been having a lot of problems, finding that often I'm overplaying. When I try to play more quietly in general to counteract I end up underplaying. I play fine without them. I don't use them while practicing at home as I use noise isolation buds for my iPod/metronome.

Any suggestions on how to get used to them?

Your ears/hearing probably need time to adjust. I got some custom plugs with the 15db filters a few weeks ago: up to that point I'd just been using the kind of foam plugs that people use in heavy industry and shooting etc. The first time I played my kit with the new plugs I was quite struck by the clarity of the sound and almost thought that I was playing too loud . . . this settled down within a few days and now I wouldn't be without them. I wore them to a gig (as a member of the audience) at a club recently and found the whole experience very comfortable for my ears - both in terms of my hearing and the ear canal itself.

Hey all,

Shelled out for some custom earplugs a while ago but I've been having some real trouble using them in combo and big band. They came with 10db and 20db filters. I've been using the 10db ones and have been having a lot of problems, finding that often I'm overplaying. When I try to play more quietly in general to counteract I end up underplaying. I play fine without them. I don't use them while practicing at home as I use noise isolation buds for my iPod/metronome.

Any suggestions on how to get used to them?

Why not use your noise isolation buds for a monitor? Then you can hear what you want at what ever volume you want.

In order to become accustomed to earplugs you have to wear them every time you play, practice included. You have to make the lower db your new reality, so to speak.

I have yet to shell out the big bucks for custom earplugs and find that most of the foam ones, when they swell up inside my ears, apply to much pressure and become uncomfortable pretty quickly because they are made of a harder, stiffer foam. Then I tried the HEAROS beige colored plugs. They are made out of a softer foam that is much more comfortable for long term wear. They work best for me. I use them on planes, and after a five hour flight they still feel comfortable. For loud concerts, especially in rooms with bad acoustics, they block out a lot of the harsh echo and I get a better definition of the sounds I really want to hear. And, when you're on stage you can just smile at the guy with lead guitarist's disease who would be louder than your drums if you weren't wearing the plugs.

Hi there,
I also used to use HEROES, but then switched to ACS custom plugs, at first I didn't like them, but I persisted and used them every day for every practice and I now love them!

Back