DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-12-2012, 04:02 PM

Default Regal Tip Sticks, opinions?

I just grabbed a pair of regal tip quantum 3000s b4 a gig last friday and I've had bad experience with the 5bs from them in the past so i was under the impression that these sticks were gonna be gone after the first 2 songs( i tend to hit really hard) but they held up really well, and ive become used to they way they feel with all that gloss over the wood, though there kind skinny compared to the vic firth rock sticks i usually use. Im curious to as wat u guys think of the brand and any suggestions for different models to experiment with.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:33 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Regal Tip Sticks, opinions?

Great sticks, the Quantams. I used the wood tip version for a long time before I started using CDX sticks (see sig.). I also used several other RT models, and they always held up great for me.

My first CDX sticks were the tip and neck of the Q3000 wood, but with a .574 diam, instead of a .600 diam. Still as sturdy, but I got around better with a slightly small diam.

Other than CDX, Regal would be the brand I'd use.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:47 PM

those cdx sticks are something im seriously gonna look into, thanx man.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:03 PM
Platinum Member

When I was playing nylon tips, I really liked the Regal Tip 5B Wide. Most nylon tip sticks are very thin towards the tip, but the 5B Wide is much thicker, which means much more durable and with a fatter sound on ride bells and shallow rimshots.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:28 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naigewron View Post
When I was playing nylon tips, I really liked the Regal Tip 5B Wide. Most nylon tip sticks are very thin towards the tip, but the 5B Wide is much thicker, which means much more durable and with a fatter sound on ride bells and shallow rimshots.
I too prefer sticks with a wider shoulder near the tip. I also use the Regal Tip 5B Wide nylons. If you're into nylon, they also have the E series that is supposed to "soften" the tone of a nylon tip because of the channels in the tip.

I actually picked the Regal Tips because of the grip the finish provides. Other sticks would slip out of my hand. Though others have said the texture is very slippery when they sweat.
I now wrap my ProMarks with tennis grip because my local shops do not carry Regal Tip sticks and they are special order...
Old 01-20-2012, 12:22 AM

I haven't used the Quantum models at all, but Regal Tip is definitely my favorite stick maker. Occasionally I'll wander off on another "quest for the perfect stick" (usually prompted by discussions like these) but after trying other brands and models I keep coming back to Regal Tip -- they just feel the best in my hands.

I'm currently using the 8A and Rock drumsticks and Jeff Hamilton heavy wire brushes, in the past I've also used 9As and Groovers.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:45 AM

Quantum 3000 wood tips!!!!

But I don't know if anyone else on this thread is from the UK and has the same problem, but getting hold of Regal Tip sticks here seems to be a nightmare. At least for me it's been. I tend to order at least 4 pairs to last me over. I usually have to wait 2+ months for them to come in stock. But they're worth it in my opinion. They last ages, and they feel great to play with (not in that way...)
Old 05-14-2012, 09:04 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiac666thrasher View Post
I just grabbed a pair of regal tip quantum 3000s b4 a gig last friday and I've had bad experience with the 5bs from them in the past so i was under the impression that these sticks were gonna be gone after the first 2 songs( i tend to hit really hard) but they held up really well, and ive become used to they way they feel with all that gloss over the wood, though there kind skinny compared to the vic firth rock sticks i usually use. Im curious to as wat u guys think of the brand and any suggestions for different models to experiment with.
If you normally use the Vic Firth Rock model, try Regal Tip's 2BX or Metal-X...
The 2BX is close to VF ROCK, just a little shorter, and the Metal-X is an exact copy of the VF Metal, so it's also close to the ROCK, just a little longer...

Hope that helps...
Old 05-14-2012, 09:51 PM

Try the metal x speed sticks
Old 03-04-2014, 01:29 PM

Dragging this out since I can't find any posts on Regal Tips' Speed Ex sticks.

Bought a pair yesterday, haven't tried them out yet.

What's your experience with them?
Old 03-04-2014, 06:52 PM
Platinum Member

Like the Jazz wood tip stick with the E tip
Should be a fast feeling stick with a pretty nice tip sound.
The E tips are pretty cool sounding I think.

Lots of dynamics available with this one. The thing I'd like about it is the neck is more like the wood tip neck (thicker) more than the regular nylon tip necks. The thin is good for bounce, but if you need more volume than what the stick will take....

The stick co. I was using went under a couple years ago. I still have many pairs, but I wanted a diam. and feel change, so I recently went back to Regal.

I'm using the Quantan 1000 Nylon, but, I take the nylon ball tip off. I use them for one band with the (now small bulb) tip end, and for two others with the butt ends.
They feel better with the tip off, than the wood tip version turned around for some reason.
It took a little getting used to, but the dynamics are a lot better than what I was getting before, and I still get a fat beefy tone with enough volume for the heavy rock bands.
The tip(less) end gets a nice sound too. I really like them.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:34 PM
Administrator

When I want a smaller stick I have been using the Regal Tip E-Series 7A. I had some 5A at one point and they are indestructable.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:03 AM
Platinum Member

Speaking of Regal Tip, does anyone know what's going on with them? The drum shop and a few Guitar Centers near me have all clearanced their stock of Regal Tip.

One GC employee thought they were going out of business. I figure that's unlikely. However, there aren't any places left now for me to try a Regal Tip stick in person.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:51 PM

Oh, if that's the case I better stockpile them :S I have had a chance to try the Speed Ex ones out on Sunday and I'm impressed. Really liking them.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:46 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady View Post
Speaking of Regal Tip, does anyone know what's going on with them? The drum shop and a few Guitar Centers near me have all clearanced their stock of Regal Tip.

One GC employee thought they were going out of business. I figure that's unlikely. However, there aren't any places left now for me to try a Regal Tip stick in person.

could be a number of things.
The shops could be just blowing out old stock to get some fresh wood in.
I wouldn't trust what a GC employee says.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:16 PM

I hope they are not going out of business. I love the wood tip Jazz and am now obsessed with their E-tip Jazz sticks.