DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-12-2012, 10:44 AM
Platinum Member

Default Gavin Harrison's Snare Wire Trick?

Just watched a YouTube video where Gavin Harrison discussing his method for tuning his drums (using two drum keys and making sure that the snare's pitch does not match the pitch of any of the toms in order to decrease sympathetic vibration).

When Gavin talked about sympathetic vibration, he revealed that he uses Puresound wires that he cuts down to eight (8) strands, removing the outer-edged wires and focusing the remaining eight in the middle. He claims that the outer-edged wires usually are more likely to buzz.

Have folks tried this method? I've heard of 12-strand wires (I think jazzer Jeff Hamilton uses 12 or 16-strand wires), and most standard snares come with 20 or 25-strand wires (or 42 if you use Dunnett snares), but I don't think I've ever seen someone use just eight!
Old 05-12-2012, 04:36 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Gavin Harrison's Snare Wire Trick?

i've tried it, and it just doesn't work for me... i don't know why. i think personally i just like a lot of buzz, so more wires = better for me.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:41 PM
Platinum Member

Alas...no cures for the buzz blues.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:21 PM
PDPx7Drummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
Alas...no cures for the buzz blues.
Did you not go back to the other thread to see what was posted? I gave you a very logical and quick fix to apply to a snare drum to quiet the snare wires from excess buzzing. It's just enough to quiet them but still allow you to hear your ghost notes.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...4&postcount=21
Old 05-12-2012, 05:57 PM
audiotech

Cutting the outer snare wires will have much less affect on sympathetic vibrations than cutting the center wires. The head to snare wires are much more sensitive at the center of the head. This is how Puresound constructs their "EQ" snare wires.

Dennis
Old 05-13-2012, 10:45 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
Cutting the outer snare wires will have much less affect on sympathetic vibrations than cutting the center wires. The head to snare wires are much more sensitive at the center of the head. This is how Puresound constructs their "EQ" snare wires.

Dennis
This maybe true but the outside ones always seem to be looser and seem to buzz more than the middle ones.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tard View Post
This maybe true but the outside ones always seem to be looser and seem to buzz more than the middle ones.
Tard: Yes, that was Gavin's argument for trimming the wires in those places. I might give this a try...
Old 05-14-2012, 01:53 PM
audiotech

If this was the case, I would just try 12 or 16 stand snare wires instead of chopping wires from the sides of a good strainer, unless the wires you have are already stretched beyond their playing usefulness. There are a few ways to attach snare drum wires and one or two of these ways will promote the outer wires getting more tension than the center wires. I don't recall any of my snare wires being stretched at the outer most wires. I check the wires at every resonant head change, about 2 or 3 times a year on some snare drums.

Dennis
Old 05-14-2012, 05:35 PM
Gold Member

Fat cat makes a strainer that you can adjust the center wires so you can crank it tight enough to reduce the buzz from the outside ones but loosen the center ones enough to not sound choked.

Last edited by tard; 05-14-2012 at 06:19 PM.