DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 11-30-2010, 05:58 PM

Default Mesh Drum Heads

Im sure some people on here have used them, Are they actually silent? Do they feel like a real drum head?

I have been using those neoprene pads that go on the top of your head, but they feel too spongey. I need something that is actually silent. My drums drive my wife and neighbors bonkers.

These are what im looking at

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfri...ad-?sku=445444
Old 11-30-2010, 06:02 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Mesh Drum Heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbftats View Post
Im sure some people on here have used them, Are they actually silent? Do they feel like a real drum head?

I have been using those neoprene pads that go on the top of your head, but they feel too spongey. I need something that is actually silent. My drums drive my wife and neighbors bonkers.

These are what im looking at

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfri...ad-?sku=445444
Mesh heads are not COMPLETELY silent, but they are pretty close to it. They differ from regular heads in that they provide a little bit more bounce, but they are overall not a bad approximation. I would suggest trying some out before you buy them. Go to almost any drum store and you should be able to find some electronic drums with mesh heads on them that you can feel.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:16 PM

I have an old spare snare drum with a mesh head that I can practice on almost silently in another room when my wife is watching TV. It makes less stick sound than my practice pad or electronic kit, and of course my acoustic kit. :)

Not TOTALLY silent though, and as already said a bit more bounce. Good for practicing moller method though.

Chromium
Old 11-30-2010, 06:20 PM

thanks, cant you just tune them down to get less bounce?
Old 11-30-2010, 07:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbftats View Post
thanks, cant you just tune them down to get less bounce?
You can, to some extent, but not too low; not only does it feel like playing on a blanket, you run a risk or tearing a hole in them.

They are excellent for silencing toms. In my experience, they don't do so well on snares or kicks because of the larger amount of abuse those drums take. I wore a hole through a mesh kick drum head inside of a week, and there's no way to get an impact pad to stick to the mesh. I recommend either the SoundOff strap-on drum mute, or stuffing the kick with something incredibly dense and using a soft beater to minimize the impact sound (I used a huge, heavy fake mink blanket I bought in Korea for this purpose).

I like my snare tuned extremely tight, and I couldn't get the mesh head that tight without damaging it. So I use a Vic Firth practice pad over the top of my regular snare. I can even keep the snares on for a vastly muted but still identifiable sound.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:24 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
You can, to some extent, but not too low; not only does it feel like playing on a blanket, you run a risk or tearing a hole in them.

They are excellent for silencing toms. In my experience, they don't do so well on snares or kicks because of the larger amount of abuse those drums take. I wore a hole through a mesh kick drum head inside of a week, and there's no way to get an impact pad to stick to the mesh. I recommend either the SoundOff strap-on drum mute, or stuffing the kick with something incredibly dense and using a soft beater to minimize the impact sound (I used a huge, heavy fake mink blanket I bought in Korea for this purpose).

I like my snare tuned extremely tight, and I couldn't get the mesh head that tight without damaging it. So I use a Vic Firth practice pad over the top of my regular snare. I can even keep the snares on for a vastly muted but still identifiable sound.
What alparrott said ;) You can try tuning them down, but it begins to feel like playing on a pillow. No matter how you do it, the mesh heads are just springier than regular drum heads. Its not an ENORMOUS difference though, its manageable. I practiced on one for over a year, every day. It carried over to the drum set without a lot of problems.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:18 PM

You know, they do sell mesh drum heads. I know this is a do it yourself site, but the mesh heads can be had on eBay for $5-$10 each, depending on the size.

Acoustic curtains UK
Acoustic Foam Paneling
Acoustic Insulation supplies

Last edited by MichaelRiley; 05-11-2012 at 03:08 PM.