DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 05-10-2012, 01:48 PM

Default Jazz Tuning

Hi all,
I'm a jazzy sort of drummer and, as of yet, still haven't found my ideal tuning/head setup. Any other jazz cats out there got any tips to achieve a really warm sound?
Old 05-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Jazz Tuning

Right now I'm using Aquarian Modern Vintage medium, top and bottom, tuned medium to medium-high. Tuned anywhere from low to high they have a great warmth and a really pleasant tone. On the snare I usually another MV medium but I'm trying out a coated Studio-X and I'm really liking that.

I've used Remo Fiberskyn, Skyntone, and Renaissance, and Evans Strata searching out warm and mellow jazz heads and the Aquarians are easily my favorite.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:06 PM
Platinum Member

Great topic and I wish Haredrum would start a blog post about this (hint! hint!) because it's hard to find good information on this.

My personal approach is to tune batter and reso heads to the same pitch, and I tune fairly high. I like Coated Ambassador on batter side and Clear Ambassadors for the reso side of all toms. For bass drum, I like a Coated Ambassador on the batter side for maximum resonance and I generally use my stock reso head, which is a single-ply Ludwig. For a more controlled sound, a Pinstripe or PS3 on the batter side works, too. Snare is Coated Ambassador on batter over a Hazy Ambassador snare head on the bottom.

Something about the coated heads produces a lot of warmth. I aim for the sweet spot on each tom where it sings the most.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:57 PM
Silver Member

if you are looking to HEAR what i think is a perfect example of jazz tuning. buy "red sparkle" by Jeff Hamilton off itunes asap. really has his drums tuned perfect for small group jazz. some of THE BADDEST small group playing i have heard in years. what Jeff does behind a drum kit melodically, technically & form-wise is staggering.