DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 05-09-2012, 08:02 AM

Default Re: My DW saga just keeps going and going...

I know it's not a lot, especially compared to what Roy did. But until I find someone with a Yamaha flying dragon to trade, this is how it will stay...

Allegra Drum Crafters
Revival Drum Shop
Yamaha Recording Custom
Allegra Master Craft
Old 05-09-2012, 08:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
Andy, you are one eloquent and understanding person. I should quote everyone in this thread as this community is awesome and I'm just glad I'm part of it. But you continue to really hit a chord.

I see it as a business deal that went bad. Ok, let's move on. But I am a little bit tainted when it comes to moving forward here. I'll just play a lot to get over it :) Goodness, it isn't my gear or lack of that is the problem, it is my playing. :)

Ps. I know, Bo, that you love your Tama BB's :) Heck, go find Sticks...now is the time for everyone to brag about their gear...where is that GURU guy that is always showing vids of his playing?
Well, that was my half-hearted attempt to have you be a Tama guy too. I never tell a person what they should buy. For you, after this episode, I wouldn't suggest anything at all. But I have a feeling this thread will do some kind of viral thing and every drummer on the planet will know what happened to you. Like I said, DW will feel it regardless.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:16 AM

All i want to know is what kind of CEO says that shit? no matter what the situation is! RIDICULOUS
Old 05-09-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy E. Munson View Post
All i want to know is what kind of CEO says that shit? no matter what the situation is! RIDICULOUS
I know. It's just unfathomable. All I have heard about JG and how he runs his company an how he treats customers, and now this ? I really just makes no sense. I agree Roy, with your past couple posts. It's a big load of horse s*#t, and something you'd expect from a customer service manager at a call center of your cable.company, that has a piss poor reputation, where they know you have no real alternative.not from any kind of custom company that supposedly prides themselves in making products of outstanding quality, attention to detail, and great customer service. I have a feeling Craig is not the only one that needs to blow off some steam here. Like it was said before, we can not accept this from manufacturers, and we must stand up, and stand together, and not put up with this kind of thing, because if they know they can get away with substandard products, the quality will continue to decline, or the price will continue to go up, even with no product improvements. If we allow it, corporations will do it.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
where is that GURU guy that is always showing vids of his playing?
He's here, putting together more weekend gig vid's for the "Your Playing" section :) (please go visit).

As for drums, you have enough for now. Go play & forget about gear, then when you eventually find something that gets your heart racing, select on the basis of the whole package, not just the product or the price in isolation. Until then, go love the drums you already have, & make 'em sing :)
Old 05-09-2012, 09:37 AM
PDPx7Drummer

I just wanted to stop in and say I am sorry to read of such an abysmal situation Boom and that this whole ordeal has been nothing less than surreal. I read through your threads before I joined and couldn't believe it, shortly after I got activated I seen you post this thread and just couldn't wrap my brain around it all. Now with this latest news, it is just mind blowing to think this actually happened with DW. Even though you seem to be an upstanding person with a level headed temper lol, who seems to of told the story truthfully I STILL can't believe that is how a conversation between a customer of DW and the CEO of DW drums went down. Not to mention fighting tooth and nail to get it resolved as if you were trying to get over on John and his company.

Before this all boiled over and like Bo said some time ago, I was going to say the same thing. Your experience of buying a top of the line drum set has been ruined and that you should consider sending them back, getting your money and looking at other high end drum lines. You don't even know how I would of acted if my PDP X7 came to my house out of shape like your DW's did, so just imagine if I ordered DW's and had to go through this crap. I would simply lose it, period. I hate sending small stuff back through UPS if there is something wrong with the product I ordered, let alone $3000 or so of drum equipment. I would literally be sick to my stomach.

I don't think I am taking it quite as personally as some are here, but it is a bit off-putting to think that this actually happened with such a well known and well respected drum company and makes me think twice about ordering another DW product. I still find it hard to believe this is exactly how it all went down but I see no reason for you or Larry to exaggerate the situation or to fib about how it all actually went down. So from one drummer who feels what your are going through 100% to another, I am sorry this happened to you. Best to you and your search to find some awesome, top of the line drums, I look forward to your next try with another company.

David
Old 05-09-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDPx7Drummer View Post
I just wanted to stop in and say I am sorry to read of such an abysmal situation Boom and that this whole ordeal has been nothing less than surreal. I read through your threads before I joined and couldn't believe it, shortly after I got activated I seen you post this thread and just couldn't wrap my brain around it all. Now with this latest news, it is just mind blowing to think this actually happened with DW. Even though you seem to be an upstanding person with a level headed temper lol, who seems to of told the story truthfully I STILL can't believe that is how a conversation between a customer of DW and the CEO of DW drums went down. Not to mention fighting tooth and nail to get it resolved as if you were trying to get over on John and his company.

Before this all boiled over and like Bo said some time ago, I was going to say the same thing. Your experience of buying a top of the line drum set has been ruined and that you should consider sending them back, getting your money and looking at other high end drum lines. You don't even know how I would of acted if my PDP X7 came to my house out of shape like your DW's did, so just imagine if I ordered DW's and had to go through this crap. I would simply lose it, period. I hate sending small stuff back through UPS if there is something wrong with the product I ordered, let alone $3000 or so of drum equipment. I would literally be sick to my stomach.

I don't think I am taking it quite as personally as some are here, but it is a bit off-putting to think that this actually happened with such a well known and well respected drum company and makes me think twice about ordering another DW product. I still find it hard to believe this is exactly how it all went down but I see no reason for you or Larry to exaggerate the situation or to fib about how it all actually went down. So from one drummer who feels what your are going through 100% to another, I am sorry this happened to you. Best to you and your search to find some awesome, top of the line drums, I look forward to your next try with another company.

David
welcome to the forum...im new too. i signed up because of booms thread as well. i have been a long time reader, but i normally am not one to post. anyways, you hit it on the nail. if i go out to a burger joint and get a bad meal im not happy, if i spend 3000 id flip. i dont have a bad temper at all, and believe me im not the type to even drive back thru the line to get my burger fixed. but ill be damned if i spend 3000 on a kit from the company ive had posters of on my wall since i was 13, and the ceo tells me thanks but no thanks! im literally sick to my stomach right now! its like my hero just died. i know everyone makes mistakes, but to have your leader, general, CEO!!!!! to give up when the going gets tough? well that makes me want to start a boycott (which i already did)!
Old 05-09-2012, 10:02 AM

Please view and sign if you're on board! Lets start something here!
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=90663
Old 05-09-2012, 10:03 AM
Silver Member

You are the ONLY person here to disagree. You won't change public opinion here.

You are the reason customer service in this world has gone to shit. You and all the others who'll bend over for big business and thank them when they're through.

I work for a large scale global manufacturer/wholesaler/retailer and do you know the ethos of our business through all of our markets? "Consumers rule." 'Nuff said.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:22 AM
PDPx7Drummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy E. Munson View Post
welcome to the forum...
Dude.... don't even get me started with the **** that's pulled at the big name burger joints man lol! I usually ate there during work because it was fast and I needed something but not anymore. I personally almost did lose it one night while moving into our new place and because of what happened when getting a quick bite I swore off to never spend another hard earned $1 at these places, not to mention just being unhealthy in general. Also thanks for the welcome man, I appreciate it, seems like a cool joint to hang around at. \m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman4745 View Post
Holy shit...this is hilarious! The OP seems to be the kind of guy who would bitch if you hung him with a new rope! Have you ever heard that old saying? Some people are just NOT happy with anything in life and never will be…NO matter what!
You can't be serious? The guy pays what he does for DW's and in return gets something that looks like it's second, third or even forth hand lol. You must not know what it's like to pay for quality stuff yourself and have this happen, otherwise you wouldn't be taking on such a **** attitude man. Those out of round bass drum hoops and being all tore up like that would of sent me through the roof! If I were Boom, I'd seriously be questioning if someone were playing a sick joke on me on purpose or some ****. What this guy got is a disgrace to DW's history and you should know better dude.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:23 AM
Silver Member

Hey Boom,

First of all, I'm so sorry to hear that you have had to endure this horrendous experience from a company that many regard as the best. I have chosen to remain relatively silent in this thread until this point, but feel I should input at this junction.

A few years ago I purchased a not inexpensive DW Collectors snare drum. Long story short, it had a problem with the lugs actually vibrating loose mid playing and leaving a small collection of screws inside my drum. It took DW circa 6 months to acknowledge there was a problem, and I ended up returning it and changing manufacturer to OCDP at the time (about 3-4 years back).

It took me a long time to regain my trust in DW products, finally purchasing a 9002 pedal late last year, which for the record, has had no major issues.

I have recently placed an order for another snare drum through them, as I was won over by the clever grain orientation marketing. However, after reading your thread, this order has been cancelled. The snare was expensive, but I can't put a price on customer service when it all goes pear shaped. I'm sure a lot of you know about my experience with Dunnett snares, so I totally understand how you feel.

For the record, I think you have been very restrained and controlled throughout this whole ordeal. Drummers are a passionate and enthusiastic lot, and, as many others here, know all too well the overwhelming feeling of excitement when new gear turns up. When it is not perfect, it royally sucks.

I'm no drum building company, but I do build drums for myself and a few friends, and I for one would feel honoured to build a kit for you. I'm sure many other members (Bill Detamore, Andy from Guru, Rhett from HD etc) would feel the same. Hopefully one of us guys can help to remove that particular DW bad taste and get you behind a kit that you will truly love.

I feel like this has been a case of DW forgetting that the customer makes the business. It doesn't matter how big they are, without consumers, they have nothing. This whole ordeal has probably hurt them significantly in the short term. And the word of mouth and utter disgust will spread. Also, just to reiterate, you are not in the wrong here. In fact, as many have pointed out here, I feel you were more than reasonable.

I hope you find something that makes you truly happy!
Old 05-09-2012, 10:31 AM

Actually "Bluesman", all companies have something to prove, with every single product that goes out the door. That's why some make it and some don't. Good luck with that ? good luck with what exactly ? They are going to make me buy something without proving to me that things have changed ? It's not just me. There are some DW fans on here that even feel that way, so yeah, they are going to have to prove over time that they can put out the quality and back it with customer service before a lot of people will go anywhere near their stuff again, and there will be more fallout from this than they know. Nobody on this thread (or anywhere else that gets wind of this) is going to forget this whole thing in a week.

By the way, do you actually have something to contribute here, or do you just like to troll and be combative. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but you are being an immature combative snide jackass about it, and incase your skull is to thick to figure it out, it isn't much appreciated around here. I may be pretty new here myself, but I also came in here respecting others, being supportive, and even if I don't agree with something, I don't feel the need to act like a snotty 12 year old about it. It's not conducive to good relationships of any kind to come into a place and immediately start showing your ass. If you have something of substance to contribute, awesome. Post away. But if you are going to act like this right off the bat, then just feel free to keep your thoughts to yourself.

My second post on here, I was helped by someone I had never net in my life. This is a tight community that treats each other with dignity, respect, and we share a love for the same thing. Sure we all have crap days, and maybe just have a day where stuff just doesn't come out right, but when someone does it, they usually try to clear up any misunderstandings right away. I'm not normally one to just let someone have it without warning, but your posts thus far have been completely unhelpful, and uncalled for, especially given the situation the poster is in. Trying to fan the flames is not going to better things in anyway.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:36 AM

AJ3000, that was very elequent. I think you said a mouthful there. Really not much to add other than its really cool that you build drums. Awesome.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:40 AM

PDPx7drummer, welcome to the forum !
Old 05-09-2012, 10:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ3000 View Post

I have recently placed an order for another snare drum through them, as I was won over by the clever grain orientation marketing. !
AJ.. with all respect my friend.. for the love of God.. can you please go read up on the much more sophisticated tech that Sonor has had since.. i don't even know how long. Please..

I'll send you links if you would like. : )
Old 05-09-2012, 11:23 AM

DW did poorly for themselves by waiting so long to response. A fish doesn't smell better over time.
The suggestion of a refund also indicates that they are not committed to retifying the problem and future DW customers have no assurance that this will happen not again.

I think JG should ask himself why he signs the drums.

What he should have done is fast respose, offer to change the faulty parts immediately as well as a consolation gift( a snare, cowbell holder, whatever).
Old 05-09-2012, 11:27 AM
PDPx7Drummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by section8usmc View Post
There are some DW fans on here that even feel that way, so yeah, they are going to have to prove over time that they can put out the quality and back it with customer service before a lot of people will go anywhere near their stuff again, and there will be more fallout from this than they know. Nobody on this thread (or anywhere else that gets wind of this) is going to forget this whole thing in a week.....
I'll be honest here, I now feel my experience with DW products to be tainted as well and it sucks. I mean I'm still happy with the quality of the products I bought, the PDP set really turned out great, the PDP chrome rack, the 3000 double pedal and a DW snare stand but now I feel like a sell out because I own DW products along with the names plastered all over my posts (screen name and sig lol.) Honestly though who would of thought 8 months later I'd be signed up to one of if not the most popular drummer forum in the world and have a thread made about such an experience. I was seriously living it up and had pride to be behind this kit, you know actually being within the "DW crowd" and a company that I and my cousin aspired to be able to have a set of drums from (although for financial reasons he went with a higher quality ddrum pocket setup which is quite nice).

I'm really having a hard time coming to terms with what's going on here and to support Boom to the fullest like Roy and a few others are doing. I can't afford to just sell this kit and a couple pieces of hardware after 8 months just to boycott and show support lol and I like to feel happy and proud when behind my kit. Sigh..... this is a bummer for sure but with that said I personally have to go on and make the best of my experience which treated me well fortunately. Though I'll be honest when I do get enough money to get another set after I sell this one, if I can lol, I don't think it will be a DW set. It will either be a set of Tama's or I'll go back to my roots and get a nice Pearl setup. I am really awe struck over the Tama BB with the silver racing stripe on it, that's just friggin beautiful but expensive lol.

Anyway thanks for the welcome USMC, means a lot and good post AJ. Hope to be able to stick around and learn from some of the well respected veterans around here as well as with all the info in the sections on the main page. Also if you did serve, thanks for your service and sacrifice.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:54 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artstar View Post
AJ.. with all respect my friend.. for the love of God.. can you please go read up on the much more sophisticated tech that Sonor has had since.. i don't even know how long. Please..

I'll send you links if you would like. : )
What I mean to say is that the grain orientation marketing was enough to encourage me to give them another try. I went to my local store and ordered based on what my ears heard....
Old 05-09-2012, 12:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Sigh. I realize this has to be told to explain my decision. Phone rings, I answer it. "Is Craig there?" "Hey John, I was beginning to think you were going to punt on me." pause "I just think it would be best if you sent the drums back and got a refund." "I don't think we can make the kit that you want."

I was so shocked you have no idea. I was at a loss. He later said "I hear you are bad mouthing us on the forums." This is the only forum I participate in.

It wasn't a pleasant conversation for either of us.

Look, I'm not sure what role I played in this. I don't feel comfortable in this role anymore, I'll tell you that. I just want it behind me. Far behind me.
This is not you bad mouthing them. This is a rare example of what "Power of the Press" means when it actually works.

From a corporate communications/relations perspective they feel a threat and need to stop the bleeding.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ3000 View Post
What I mean to say is that the grain orientation marketing was enough to encourage me to give them another try. I went to my local store and ordered based on what my ears heard....
I know AJ... I was halfway kidding..
Old 05-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Mr Mantalini
This message has been deleted by Mr Mantalini.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:54 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Sigh. I realize this has to be told to explain my decision. Phone rings, I answer it. "Is Craig there?" "Hey John, I was beginning to think you were going to punt on me." pause "I just think it would be best if you sent the drums back and got a refund." "I don't think we can make the kit that you want."

I was so shocked you have no idea. I was at a loss. He later said "I hear you are bad mouthing us on the forums." This is the only forum I participate in.

It wasn't a pleasant conversation for either of us.

Look, I'm not sure what role I played in this. I don't feel comfortable in this role anymore, I'll tell you that. I just want it behind me. Far behind me.
Didn't they say they were going to fix the problems? Where in this conversation did that happen?
Old 05-09-2012, 01:13 PM

PDP, thanks for the shout out. You're welcome on both accounts. :-)
Old 05-09-2012, 02:37 PM
Silver Member

Boom,

You taught me two things here: First, DW customer service is not what they advertise. I am extremely disapointed to hear about your long fight with them to get the kit you deserve. Second, I will never buy a kit thats not on the showroom floor. I will go over the drums very carefully before I lay any $ down. I'm not saying you should have done that just that from now on I won't trust any shipment. I hope you get your $ back quickly and eventually get your dream kit. Good luck.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:48 PM

The CEO(a wise man) of the company I work for said:

" When our customers says jump, we jump as high as we can - they have a choice, we don't!"
Old 05-09-2012, 02:52 PM
Silver Member

Wow, John Good fired you. I actually am a little shocked by the conclusion to this saga. The good news is there are tons of companies making very high quality drums, so it'll be easy to find another set to buy.

It's also a good argument for buying off the floor of a well-stocked drum shop. No waiting, no BS, you get to see what you're buying before you buy it. (wish I'd done that)
Old 05-09-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornelius View Post
Didn't they say they were going to fix the problems? Where in this conversation did that happen?
It didn't happen in the phone conversation at all. I eventually said "don't you want to see the pictures I have?" He said "Sure". I emailed them to him. In that return email he mentioned the forums again (so someone is reading this stuff and I'll be facing fallout for it for sure since we aren't done) and then had attached service reps. He said in that email after seeing my pics, something like "where do we go from here? I have my staff ready to try and make you happy. I just think if you got your money back we could all move past this..."

So I then emailed the problems listing them for his staff. It was in that return email where they said they'd take care of the problems.

I guess I should post these emails...mine too so you can see how I'm behaving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy View Post
Wow, John Good fired you. I actually am a little shocked by the conclusion to this saga. The good news is there are tons of companies making very high quality drums, so it'll be easy to find another set to buy.

It's also a good argument for buying off the floor of a well-stocked drum shop. No waiting, no BS, you get to see what you're buying before you buy it. (wish I'd done that)
I want to stress that JG was going to have his staff solve the problems that I listed that I wanted fixed. So it isn't that he was refusing to fix them.

I try my best just to list facts. I'm sure I drop the ball from time to time here. But I'm not trying to bad mouth. If you read through all the threads tied to this (as most of you have), you'll see that I really wasn't trying to smear or badmouth. As it was mentioned earlier, in the one thread, I didn't even put the title of the company in the OP or subsequent posts. And the thread after JG called me...that was great publicity for them. He looked great in that one, right? I mean, I'm not setting out to hurt anyone. Just to share a tale.

I thought that maybe I was wrong in what I thought I should expect to receive in drums. So I made posts expecting that maybe my standards were to high or that I was being too nit picky.

I am certainly not perfect. I hope no one believes I'm claiming that.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:26 PM
Platinum Member

The comments in my PM stand. Just ready your PM.
My first impression was right on all these years I guess.

Not surprising, sorry I was right.

Hope it's over quickly for you.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
What amazes me most about this thread is how everyone here seems to unquestionably and blindly believe EVERYTHING the OP has posted. Have you ever considered maybe he IS a whiner?
Maybe his glass will ALWAYS BE HALF EMPTY NO MATTER WHAT? I mean ferchristsakes…flaking chrome on a grommet? WHO NOTICES STUFF LIKE THAT? NOBODYYYYYYYYYYY!!! GROW THE HELL UP!

SOLUTION: Send the damn drums back to DW (as they said), get your refund, and GO ON WITH YOUR NIT-PICKY LIFE!
GEEEEEEEEEEZUS!
Speaking of whiners...
Old 05-09-2012, 05:33 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
...So I then emailed the problems listing them for his staff. It was in that return email where they said they'd take care of the problems.
...I want to stress that JG was going to have his staff solve the problems that I listed that I wanted fixed. So it isn't that he was refusing to fix them...
So they were going to take care of you and make things right. That sounds ok...
Old 05-09-2012, 05:38 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I know a little inside info because Craig and I spoke on the phone yesterday. JG said to Craig...(paraphrasing)"Craig I heard you're bad-mouthing me (or DW) on "some" drum forum.

Craig, because he was upset, replied "yeah I did".

Which wasn't accurate. Craig did not bad mouth anyone, Craig was relating facts. I think right there is when JG stopped caring, when he heard Craig wrongly "admit" to bad mouthing. I think it could have had a different ending on JG's part, if more factual words were spoken right there. That does not however lessen the fact that this went on for as long as it did, and the fact that the 2nd attempt was deemed unacceptable.

Something that might have colored JG's attitude....To be fair, Craig is pretty intense on the phone. I had to hold the phone about 6" from my ear because he was just busting out of my handset. Too much emotion. That still shouldn't make any difference, but I think it might have, if he spoke with the same intensity to JG.

I'm just trying to be as impartial as possible. Craig should be allowed to be however he is. Bottom line, he wasn't asking for anything that he wasn't entitled to, and it went on way too long.
I do fault JG for seemingly not caring about his reputation. He also seems to think that there is mostly complaining going on at drum forums. The impression I got from what I gathered is that JG doesn't realize just how sophisticated we are here.

Evens Specialist has the right idea. If I had a drum company, you'd better believe I'd have a presence here. I'd hire a guy whose only job was to be helpful here. Why is there no rep from all the majors on these boards? Huge potential marketing strategy going untapped.

I should pitch my services to all my favorite companies. (Not DW) Might as well get paid to be here right?

Craig, I wonder if JG would change his tune if he read all these threads. But ya know what? It's too late now.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:45 PM
Silver Member

Just a sad ending to a terrible situation. Certainly makes me thinking poorly of DW.

MeetAtSundown.com
MAS on facebook
Old 05-09-2012, 05:46 PM

Larry,

I can assure you I was not emotional at all when JG and I spoke. I was speechless actually. I thought he was calling to say how things would be fixed and that he was sorry it took so long to get to me. Instead it was along the lines that we should punt.

Trust me..I was stammering for most of the convo. It was only for like 5 min. He's a busy guy (not being facetious here) and isn't going to be able to spend 30 min on the phone. So it was short and to the point.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:52 PM
PDPx7Drummer

Quote:
What amazes me most about this thread is how everyone here seems to unquestionably and blindly believe EVERYTHING the OP has posted. Have you ever considered maybe he IS a whiner?
Maybe his glass will ALWAYS BE HALF EMPTY NO MATTER WHAT? I mean ferchristsakes…flaking chrome on a grommet? WHO NOTICES STUFF LIKE THAT? NOBODYYYYYYYYYYY!!! GROW THE HELL UP!

SOLUTION: Send the damn drums back to DW (as they said), get your refund, and GO ON WITH YOUR NIT-PICKY LIFE!
GEEEEEEEEEEZUS!
You come across as possibly being an employee at the POS drum shop Craig had to deal with over the course of his headache with all of this. If I was a mod your post would warrant you a suspension or even permanent ban. You are way out of line and are acting like nothing more than some immature keyboard warrior. You need to calm the **** down as you intimidate nobody with your psycho babble, caps lock tirades.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:58 PM
Gold Member

Quote:

GEEEEEEEEEEZUS!
I'm not taking any sides at all on this, because frankly, I don't care all that much (no offense to anyone.)

Bluesman - Even though you have very valid points, you're trying to make them in all the wrong ways! ha ha

Anyway, I think it's a waste of energy to get too fired up about this. Starting petitions on a forum, selling DW gear, etc... is all a bit too dramatic for me and somewhat immature.

Just my opinion.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:03 PM
Gold Member

Also, I've been a regular in online message boards since around 1995 (which is really early into the game) and I even started and ran a fairly successful guitar message board. I've seen this happen hundreds of times. Someone has a bad experience, whether it's totally justified or the person is a drama queen, then people pile on and get in a frenzy.

As a spectator, it's really best to just look the other way and take it all with a grain of salt. There are too many "unknowns" to take everything you read on here as truth.

Again, I'm NOT saying the OP doesn't have valid reasons to be upset. I'm just saying that I can't take many of these types of threads seriously, because I never get the full picture. I'd rather just talk about drum gear and techniques.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:05 PM

Flaking chrome on grommet would bother me, yes.
Out of round hoops freak me.
This stuff could be easily dealt with though.
I'm still not sure why it hasn't been cleaned up and everyone made happy. There was a real opportunity, apparently gone to waste, here.

Get your $ back. Sit on it a while to let this all pass over..... then go shopping! I'd recommend you purchase something in stock, or order it from a shop and go over it with a fine tooth comb, before you take em home.

Good luck*
Old 05-09-2012, 06:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
This one takes the cake. It's a drum forum, words from a bunch of clowns in cyber space!
Now that's what I call a balanced & considered reply. Nice to see someone making an insightful & positive contribution.

My take on this is that it's best for all concerned to quickly walk away from this situation. Things didn't go right. DW decided to offer a way out by means of return & refund. In hindsight, this was probably the best result for both parties. At least DW didn't put one finger up & walk away. It could have been worse, much worse. I'm not defending anyone here, but context & balance is something that generally means more after the dust has settled.

Personally, & especially for Craig's state of mind, I think it's best this examination stops as soon as possible. There's nothing positive to be gained by batting the same ball against the wall.

To Bluesman, there is some considerable history to this situation, & many elements of legitimate concern have been both respectfully raised & proven.

DW isn't a bad company, they just got it wrong, & compounded the situation via lacklustre communication. Let's not forget that a retailer had a considerable part to play in this saga to. Sometimes multiple things go tits up, & it stacks up to a shit pile. It happens, now all, please go & play your drums.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:22 PM
PDPx7Drummer

Quote:
He said in that email after seeing my pics, something like "where do we go from here? I have my staff ready to try and make you happy. I just think if you got your money back we could all move past this..."

So I then emailed the problems listing them for his staff. It was in that return email where they said they'd take care of the problems. I guess I should post these emails...mine too so you can see how I'm behaving?

I want to stress that JG was going to have his staff solve the problems that I listed that I wanted fixed. So it isn't that he was refusing to fix them.

I try my best just to list facts. I'm sure I drop the ball from time to time here. But I'm not trying to bad mouth. If you read through all the threads tied to this (as most of you have), you'll see that I really wasn't trying to smear or badmouth. As it was mentioned earlier, in the one thread, I didn't even put the title of the company in the OP or subsequent posts. And the thread after JG called me...that was great publicity for them. He looked great in that one, right? I mean, I'm not setting out to hurt anyone. Just to share a tale.

I thought that maybe I was wrong in what I thought I should expect to receive in drums. So I made posts expecting that maybe my standards were to high or that I was being too nit picky.

I am certainly not perfect. I hope no one believes I'm claiming that.

Boom (Craig?),

I just sat here an re-read every post within each thread and you have EVERY RIGHT to feel the way you are about this situation and more. I admit I "skimmed" through some of it in the beginning and got the gist of it but didn't really understand till now. The more I look at this whole situation, the more this "local shop" pisses me right the hell off, as well as the way DW has went about this. I'd say it's looking more like 70% local shop and 30% DW. You were obviously excited beyond our imagination to get these drums home to check them out and didn't think twice about opening these boxes at the shop (damage or not to the boxes) to see if everything was alright. We've all been there, trust me. Though this, like you and many others say, is where the shop and possibly UPS or FedEx F'd up. The boxes should have been refused and you should of been made aware of that they "arived in the condition" they did. Like was also mentioned as a possibility, the POS employee's could have tampered with it, who know's. Bottom line here is, YOU are the paying customer that paid almost enough for a used car or truck and the problems described within these three or so threads should of been enough for DW to handle the situation a whole HELL of a lot better than they did. Not being able to get proper tension around the whole drum? On custom ****ing DW's are serious? I would be flippin my wig dude! Not to mention those bass drum hoops!

The way you come off in your posts don't lead me to believe this is all a BS story, like you said to another member who had idea's that you may be holding back what really happened. You seemed genuine and thorough with your trouble shooting method and came across way to many minor and major imperfections to justify keeping these drums. Don't feel bad at all about this whole thing, considering the prices of top of the line drums from drum company's, you should know you have every right to expect perfection and the company's should expect to hear complaints if there are any flaws in high quality musical instruments!

Two things I will say is.... 1.) you don't have to share your e-mails if you don't want to, I think those of us with a mature mind and with a bit of common sense know this was a shady deal. 2.) i'm not quite sure if "airing your dirty laundry" with this issue was such a good idea BEFORE you got it resolved. Though it wasn't really wrong on your part, it's a bit more professional to keep things under wraps until all is said and done. Though you needed feed back on the problems that you found and the only way to do that is by asking around.

I am personally disgusted for you man and hope your next attempt goes a whole hell of a lot better.

Dave
Old 05-09-2012, 06:27 PM

Boom/Craig,
I sincerely hope this works out for you and your own peace of mind. I know how frustrating it can be to get the run around from a company, after you've already contributed profits to them. Don't sweat what happens to JG or his company too much after your situation is worked out. If this isn't an isolated incident, more light will be shed on that company. They are responsible for their own reputation. Take Ludwig - They were known to have a period of questionable QC at one time, but now they're coming back out on top. (Btw, that was intentional product placement)

One thing -- If you've involved an attorney as you mentioned earlier, I don't know that this thread will help your case. In fact, if you end up filing a lawsuit, have this thread deleted, along with any account (facebook included) that the defense could use as ammunition.

Aside from that, best of luck. If you decide to get another set down the road, what's worked for me is going around to drum shops and playing kits without bias. It's safer to buy something that you can look over before you pay. Fortunately, there's a wealth of information within this board to steer you toward some great products. Besides the few witchhunters and instigators, it's also great to know what a nice support group one can find here.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:54 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I mean ferchristsakes…flaking chrome on a grommet? WHO NOTICES STUFF LIKE THAT?
I would not worry abut it on an entry level kit but on a custom high end kit combined with a damaged bearing edge and a warped hoop, yeh damm right I would notice and I probably would not have been quite as nice about it as the OP considering it was the second attempt to make it right and JG even signed off on them himself. Would you accept flaking chrome on a brand new car or even on a new bicycle? Of course not! If buying used we must accept various degrees of wear and tear and the price reflects this but we work too hard for our money to accept flawed merchandise when buying new products at top dollar.....