DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-09-2012, 03:43 AM
oldjoe38 oldjoe38 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 39
Default How much of a diference will I notice if...

I finally buy a new nice kick pedal? I have been playing the pd100 i think it is that came with my pearl set for probably ten years now. For some reason never have thought to buy a new one til now. How much of a difference will I see if I get some sort of DW or Iron Cobra pedal?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-09-2012, 03:54 AM
AndyMC's Avatar
AndyMC AndyMC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 430
Default Re: How much of a diference will I notice if...

Hard to say, sometimes you just get used to one, but its possible it is holding you back. Like all things in drums just go try some at the store and see if any wow you.
__________________
I'm the Enchanting Wizard of Rhythm, here to show you the rhythms of the universe - Beck
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-09-2012, 04:17 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,321
Default Re: How much of a diference will I notice if...

Do you need a new kick pedal? Is the one you have broken? Are you gigging enough that you might need a spare? Is the music you're playing demanding a new pedal because you can't play what you need to with what you have?

Sometimes you have to subscribe to the notion that if it ain't broke, why fix it?

I know guys who treat pedals like shoes - if it fits, keep wearing it, especially if it still works for you. Then I meet guys who misguidedly buy new stuff all the time. Your reasons for getting a new one have to be better than if you'll notice a difference. Come on, what difference are you looking for? That would be the more appropriate question.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-09-2012, 04:33 AM
oldjoe38 oldjoe38 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 39
Default Re: How much of a diference will I notice if...

You have a point. I am looking for an improvement in speed and precision by upgrading to a "better" pedal....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Do you need a new kick pedal? Is the one you have broken? Are you gigging enough that you might need a spare? Is the music you're playing demanding a new pedal because you can't play what you need to with what you have?

Sometimes you have to subscribe to the notion that if it ain't broke, why fix it?

I know guys who treat pedals like shoes - if it fits, keep wearing it, especially if it still works for you. Then I meet guys who misguidedly buy new stuff all the time. Your reasons for getting a new one have to be better than if you'll notice a difference. Come on, what difference are you looking for? That would be the more appropriate question.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-09-2012, 04:35 AM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is offline
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 13,403
Default Re: How much of a diference will I notice if...

Why not take your pedal to a GC and do a side by side with a brand new shiny pedal? That's a riskless way of knowing.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-09-2012, 04:56 AM
JimmyTheMonkey's Avatar
JimmyTheMonkey JimmyTheMonkey is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 190
Default Re: How much of a diference will I notice if...

I agree with Larry.

For me, the kick pedal is one of the most important pieces of the kit. Upgrading to a DW pedal from the base iron cobra made a big difference to ME. I cant imagine using a lesser pedal now.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-09-2012, 05:21 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,321
Default Re: How much of a diference will I notice if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjoe38 View Post
You have a point. I am looking for an improvement in speed and precision by upgrading to a "better" pedal....
Well, speed and precision are subjective things too. And they have to be relative to the music you play. Are they?

I'm not saying don't get a new pedal if you really want one. But if you're looking for a new one just for the sake of having a new one, then admit it and go get what you want. We have a lot of people who come here asking questions and they've already made their mind up on any given subject. So why even ask? If I have the money lying around and want something new, I'd just go get it.

I hope I don't sound bitter or anything ;)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-09-2012, 05:38 AM
audiotech
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: How much of a diference will I notice if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjoe38 View Post
I finally buy a new nice kick pedal? I have been playing the pd100 i think it is that came with my pearl set for probably ten years now. For some reason never have thought to buy a new one til now. How much of a difference will I see if I get some sort of DW or Iron Cobra pedal?
You're the only one on this forum that can really answer your question. This past Saturday I went to my local Five Star shop to audition some new pedals that recently came out. One was the new Sonor pedal and the other was the new Ludwig Atlas. The Ludwig pedal was available for sale, but the Sonor pedal was just a demo since they're not in dealers hands just yet. To make a semi long story short, I decided on a Tama Iron Cobra Flexi Glide pedal this time around because of its feel.

With bass drum pedals, as with a lot of other equipment purchases, you really have to personally try them out to make an educated decision.

Dennis
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-09-2012, 08:28 AM
harryconway's Avatar
harryconway harryconway is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pasadena, California, U.S.A.
Posts: 9,188
Default Re: How much of a diference will I notice if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjoe38 View Post
How much of a difference will I see ...
It's an almost guarantee you'll see/feel a difference. The real concern. Will that be good ... or will that be bad ? I've put my foot on plenty of pedals, and felt a world of difference .... and more than 9 times out of 10, it ain't a good difference, and I wind up keeping what I have.
Then, every 5 or 10 years, I get my foot on a pedal ..... and I go WOW. And when that happens, then it's time to switch. So, in 45 years, I've gone thru 7 main pedals. That's an average of, like, 6.4 years per ....
Give it a whirl, you'll either decide to stay .... or change. Either way, only you can make that call.
__________________
This seat does not recline as per Federal Aviation Regulation 121.310 (f)(3)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com