DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 05-09-2012, 03:43 AM

Default How much of a diference will I notice if...

I finally buy a new nice kick pedal? I have been playing the pd100 i think it is that came with my pearl set for probably ten years now. For some reason never have thought to buy a new one til now. How much of a difference will I see if I get some sort of DW or Iron Cobra pedal?
Old 05-09-2012, 03:54 AM

Default Re: How much of a diference will I notice if...

Hard to say, sometimes you just get used to one, but its possible it is holding you back. Like all things in drums just go try some at the store and see if any wow you.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:17 AM
Platinum Member

Do you need a new kick pedal? Is the one you have broken? Are you gigging enough that you might need a spare? Is the music you're playing demanding a new pedal because you can't play what you need to with what you have?

Sometimes you have to subscribe to the notion that if it ain't broke, why fix it?

I know guys who treat pedals like shoes - if it fits, keep wearing it, especially if it still works for you. Then I meet guys who misguidedly buy new stuff all the time. Your reasons for getting a new one have to be better than if you'll notice a difference. Come on, what difference are you looking for? That would be the more appropriate question.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:33 AM

You have a point. I am looking for an improvement in speed and precision by upgrading to a "better" pedal....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Do you need a new kick pedal? Is the one you have broken? Are you gigging enough that you might need a spare? Is the music you're playing demanding a new pedal because you can't play what you need to with what you have?

Sometimes you have to subscribe to the notion that if it ain't broke, why fix it?

I know guys who treat pedals like shoes - if it fits, keep wearing it, especially if it still works for you. Then I meet guys who misguidedly buy new stuff all the time. Your reasons for getting a new one have to be better than if you'll notice a difference. Come on, what difference are you looking for? That would be the more appropriate question.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:35 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Why not take your pedal to a GC and do a side by side with a brand new shiny pedal? That's a riskless way of knowing.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:56 AM

I agree with Larry.

For me, the kick pedal is one of the most important pieces of the kit. Upgrading to a DW pedal from the base iron cobra made a big difference to ME. I cant imagine using a lesser pedal now.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjoe38 View Post
You have a point. I am looking for an improvement in speed and precision by upgrading to a "better" pedal....
Well, speed and precision are subjective things too. And they have to be relative to the music you play. Are they?

I'm not saying don't get a new pedal if you really want one. But if you're looking for a new one just for the sake of having a new one, then admit it and go get what you want. We have a lot of people who come here asking questions and they've already made their mind up on any given subject. So why even ask? If I have the money lying around and want something new, I'd just go get it.

I hope I don't sound bitter or anything ;)
Old 05-09-2012, 05:38 AM
audiotech

Quote:
I finally buy a new nice kick pedal? I have been playing the pd100 i think it is that came with my pearl set for probably ten years now. For some reason never have thought to buy a new one til now. How much of a difference will I see if I get some sort of DW or Iron Cobra pedal?
You're the only one on this forum that can really answer your question. This past Saturday I went to my local Five Star shop to audition some new pedals that recently came out. One was the new Sonor pedal and the other was the new Ludwig Atlas. The Ludwig pedal was available for sale, but the Sonor pedal was just a demo since they're not in dealers hands just yet. To make a semi long story short, I decided on a Tama Iron Cobra Flexi Glide pedal this time around because of its feel.

With bass drum pedals, as with a lot of other equipment purchases, you really have to personally try them out to make an educated decision.

Dennis
Old 05-09-2012, 08:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
How much of a difference will I see ...
It's an almost guarantee you'll see/feel a difference. The real concern. Will that be good ... or will that be bad ? I've put my foot on plenty of pedals, and felt a world of difference .... and more than 9 times out of 10, it ain't a good difference, and I wind up keeping what I have.
Then, every 5 or 10 years, I get my foot on a pedal ..... and I go WOW. And when that happens, then it's time to switch. So, in 45 years, I've gone thru 7 main pedals. That's an average of, like, 6.4 years per ....
Give it a whirl, you'll either decide to stay .... or change. Either way, only you can make that call.