DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 03-16-2011, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Gene Krupa

One of the best of "ALL' time. My mother used to say, maybe you will be another Gene Krupa, I would tell her that there would never be another Gene Krupa. She actually had the pleasure of seeing him play live a few times when he would play in the Washington, D.C. area where I am originally from. One of my best friends brother' father in law (Berk Motley) actually played with him in one of his big band orchestras, clarinet if I remember correctly. What a superstar he was and still is. If I am not mistaken he was totally self taught, did not read charts or music period. Some of the most phenominal wrist action I have ever seen, I still enjoy watching/listening to his playing, still a huge inspiration to me...
Old 12-05-2011, 10:02 PM

I was wondering if anyone could please help me with something.

I'm trying to find good sources about Gene Krupa in particular about him being "supposed first to solo". I have one book, which is a biography about gene krupa and which it does talk about this subject. But I'm finding it hard now to find sources on the matter.

I am trying to write a essay on Gene Krupa and his involvement in the History of jazz drumming.

I would be great if anyone could even suggest at least one book / Journal / ebook that I could look to read.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:53 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattz Potter View Post
I was wondering if anyone could please help me with something.

I'm trying to find good sources about Gene Krupa in particular about him being "supposed first to solo". I have one book, which is a biography about gene krupa and which it does talk about this subject. But I'm finding it hard now to find sources on the matter.

I am trying to write a essay on Gene Krupa and his involvement in the History of jazz drumming.

I would be great if anyone could even suggest at least one book / Journal / ebook that I could look to read.
Look around this site. Baby Dodds and Chick Webb (among others) predated him as far as solos go. But he's certainly one of the most influential and most documented.

For starters:

http://www.moderndrummer.com/drum-go...2/Gene%20Krupa

http://www.drummerman.net/buddy.html

http://books.google.com/books?id=nkj...0krupa&f=false

http://www.angelfire.com/mac/keepitl...mers/krupa.htm

-John
Old 01-03-2012, 12:32 PM

I realize this is an old thread. However, can someone recommend some CDs of clear sounding recordings of Gene Krupa. I also realize that in this day of down loading music I am probably the last of those who still purchase CDs.

I am looking for a clear recording because I always liked Krupa's bass drumming but was never able to get a very clear recording of it. The pedals of this time were primative and Krupa demonstrated a great right foot despite the limitations of the hardware.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolving_machine View Post
I realize this is an old thread. However, can someone recommend some CDs of clear sounding recordings of Gene Krupa. I also realize that in this day of down loading music I am probably the last of those who still purchase CDs.

I am looking for a clear recording because I always liked Krupa's bass drumming but was never able to get a very clear recording of it. The pedals of this time were primative and Krupa demonstrated a great right foot despite the limitations of the hardware.
I'm not sure of exact recordings, but I imagine some of the live recordings and later studio recordings (early 70's??) would have good sound quality, but for me they lack the excitement of his work with big bands. I've listened to some of the live recordings from this period (on emusic.com), but again I can't give an exact example

-----

Does anyone know what kind of patterns he used in his solos? Such as these:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/g...rhapsodie.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHr4XQ9SEcg

I'm not wanting to copy note for note what he did (as if I could!), I'm just interested in learning to play some of the things he did, to give me a little bit of fun outside of lessons/pad practice/kit practice/rudiments/rehearsal.

The only advice I've been given so far is stickings like Rll Rll Rll Rll and variations, and rolls such as Rll RLrr Lrr RLrr (6/8 roll???)
Old 05-08-2012, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PW Carbert View Post
I'm not sure of exact recordings, but I imagine some of the live recordings and later studio recordings (early 70's??) would have good sound quality, but for me they lack the excitement of his work with big bands. I've listened to some of the live recordings from this period (on emusic.com), but again I can't give an exact example
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Krupa#Discography
Unfortunately, Krupa died in 1973, and the discography here on Wikipedia does not show anything in the 1970's and the rest of the discography is shallow.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:05 AM

I could not pass this post up in good conscience without paying homage to the great Gene Krupa. Gene Krupa was my inspiration. Genes drum method was what I call (because I read it somewhere) the, " Idle Hand High " method. He used up and down strokes. His hands played high up. He used his elbows, shoulders and basically dance on the kit when he played. The drum set appeared to explode when he played. He was one of the most melodic drummers of all time. A reflexition of the chicargo jazz drummers. You could see Gene having fun on the kit when he was playing. This has nothing to do with the moller technique. It was just the way gene played. Genes major drum influence was Chick Webb. Chick Webb needs to be given his due. He was THE drummer bar none. When it came to melodic, rudiements, feel, chick was the man, and dont think krupa and rich didnt know that. Buddy Rich had a different drum method, technique and feel on the kit. Buddy was a new york jazz/big band drummer which meant he had a very aggressive drum style when playing. Elbows in, power from the wrists and away he went. Buddy could do it all. He could be melodic, he could drive the band and fly around the kit.
Gene Krupas influence is in many a drummer. I just want to say thank you Gene and you to Buddy & Chick for showing us that drumming could be fun and exciting.

Last edited by jackie k; 11-24-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:18 PM
plangentmusic

Without Gene -- there's no Buddy. Without Buddy, the world as we know it would not exist in quite the same way.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:27 PM

great, great player. Deserves much love & respect.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:50 AM
Gold Member

more than a drummer in entertainment media...his acting took the instrument to a higher respect level.

we owe much to gene
Old 11-24-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie k View Post
I could not pass this post up in good conscience without paying homage to the great Gene Krupa. Gene Krupa was my inspiration. Genes drum method was what I call (because I read it somewhere) the, " Idle Hand Hight " method. He used up and down strokes. His hands played high up. He used his elbows, shoulders and basically dance on the kit when he played. The drum set appeared to explode when he played. He was one of the most melodic drummers of all time. A reflexition of the chicargo jazz drummers. You could see Gene having fun on the kit when he was playing. This has nothing to do with the moller technique. It was just the way gene played. Genes major drum influence was Chick Webb. Chick Webb needs to be given his due. He was THE drummer bar none. When it came to melodic, rudiements, feel, chick was the man, and dont think krupa and rich didnt know that. Buddy Rich had a different drum method, technique and feel on the kit. Buddy was a new york jazz/big band drummer which meant he had a very aggressive drum style when playing. Elbows in, power from the wrists and away he went. Buddy could do it all. He could be melodic, he could drive the band and fly around the kit.
Gene Krupas influence is in many a drummer. I just want to say thank you Gene and you to Buddy & Chick for showing us that drumming could be fun and exciting.
Well said! I see gene as the most influential drummer of all time,Its been said before,but gene looks so RIGHT behind a drum kit.In no way am i saying he was all show and no substance,far from it,Buddy was a phenomenon as we know,but gene to me has always had something bud never had.Sad to say i never got to see gene,was little to young.I saw buddy in southend in early 80s.,amazing.look forward to hearing from you.Im new on net,enjoying this.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:13 PM
Rebel

A legendary master player.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregcon View Post
great, great player. Deserves much love & respect.
could not agree more.Without gene,us drummers wouldnt get half the respect we do now.Bless ya gene.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:23 PM

me too.Genes magic,ive loved him for 40 yrars.My main influence,never be another gene Bless him!
Old 01-26-2013, 07:01 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie k View Post
I could not pass this post up in good conscience without paying homage to the great Gene Krupa.
+1 He was and is an inspiration to millions of drummers and drum fans. He was such a natural, like the matchbox drum thing at the end of Drum Boogie. Talk about feel! Or where he took over the right hand role of a bass solo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8gvJnhTY2s. I kept wondering if it would have damaged the strings ... but he had such controlled touch.

Soundcloud stream
Old 01-26-2013, 05:27 PM

Nice to see great comments about Gene Krupa. I was lucky to see him at one of our local high schools on a Saturday afternoon in 1967. He brought his band, gave a concert, and talked about his drumming/band history.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:04 AM
Platinum Member

I'm still trying to wrap my head around what he's doing at 4:20 into this video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTzP7ecGQiw