DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:17 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Default DIRTY LOOPS

I know there has been a forum on these guys before but it didn't get much attention. An engineer that I work with sent me this link for these guys and I was truly blown away. Yes the drumming is excellent, the bass playing is killer, the groove is freaking tight, the vocals are off the chart and the keyboard playing is awesome and tasteful. So I'm not just blown away by the drummer, I am blown away by the whole vibe. The hits, the execution, everything. I hope the best for these kids. Check out their newest cover.

http://youtu.be/nsqh9jHkHlM
Old 04-30-2012, 06:29 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: DIRTY LOOPS

They're from Sweden! I almost bought the drummers old kit. :)
Old 04-30-2012, 06:34 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

There killing me man, I was truly inspired by them. They look dam young too. I think its awesome. The concept is very smart too in a business sense. They would be very marketable. I looked for them on line and I don't even think they have a record out yet. I heard they were music conservatory students from sweden.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:41 AM
Gold Member

I just discovered these guys last week. Absolutely blown away.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:32 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Yea pretty awesome for sure.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:16 AM
Platinum Member

OMG! I had the same feeling listening to these, as I did hearing Los Labotomy for the first time. Different, I know, but the same wow feeling. There's no point in me highlighting any particular aspect of this performance, as it's all beyond right up there. I echo the YT calls for some original material from these guys, & for my personal taste only, I'd like to see a complementary guitarist in there & a bit of grit in the vibe.

Bass player's 99/100. He loses 1 point for nail polish ;)
Old 04-30-2012, 11:27 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post

Get a grip on yerself there, bud...

Old 04-30-2012, 11:28 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Morris View Post
There killing me man, I was truly inspired by them. They look dam young too. I think its awesome. The concept is very smart too in a business sense. They would be very marketable. I looked for them on line and I don't even think they have a record out yet. I heard they were music conservatory students from sweden.
They went on tour with Danny Saucedo, who took the second place in the Swedish eurovision, last year. That's all I know. You should be able to hear, and see them, on the tune "In the Club" live (unfortunately, that particular one sucks...) :)
Old 04-30-2012, 11:29 AM
Gold Member

...and Jonah did compete in the swedish equivalent of Idol a couple of years ago.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:30 AM
Platinum Member

Good stuff, Joe. Too often this style is tamed, cleansed and turned into saccharine, but these guys have combined the fire and flair of real fusion with the poppy appeal of smooth "jazz".

Sounds like they're following in the line of Steve Wonder and Jamiroquai, but with an added touch of hard fusion a la Chick / Weckl / Tribal Tech.

Putting my fortune teller hat on ... in the future a man in a suit will convince the band to pull back the flash and soon afterwards they will have a saccharine minor pop hit :) That's the usual devolution - from youthful inspiration to covering the mortgage.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:43 PM
Silver Member

wow they're awesome! Think I saw another cover a few weeks ago - the musicians are killer :)
Old 04-30-2012, 02:43 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Get a grip on yerself there, bud...

I think he already did! Ahaw-ahaw-haaww.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:30 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Sounds like they're following in the line of Steve Wonder and Jamiroquai, but with an added touch of hard fusion a la Chick / Weckl / Tribal Tech.
Very good description. I can definitely hear the Weckyl/Wonder influence. On their website it says the drummer was extremely influenced by Dave Weckyl. It definitely shows in his playing.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:30 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameo View Post
They went on tour with Danny Saucedo, who took the second place in the Swedish eurovision, last year. That's all I know. You should be able to hear, and see them, on the tune "In the Club" live (unfortunately, that particular one sucks...) :)
Yea, I saw that one and yea!! your right it did suck. lol
Old 05-01-2012, 01:34 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
Good stuff, Joe. Too often this style is tamed, cleansed and turned into saccharine, but these guys have combined the fire and flair of real fusion with the poppy appeal of smooth "jazz".

Putting my fortune teller hat on ... in the future a man in a suit will convince the band to pull back the flash and soon afterwards they will have a saccharine minor pop hit :) That's the usual devolution - from youthful inspiration to covering the mortgage.
OU

OUCH!!! Your probably right but I hope not. We have enough watered down pop stars today. This kids got soul I hope he sticks with his band mates. If they put out a cd or the covers their doing, the way they do it. I would totally buy it. I guess we shall see, it was just nice for me to listen to something and like "keep it simple said get that WHOW feeling. I was moved. I love that. Plus you get extra props for spelling Jamiroquai. LOL
Old 05-01-2012, 01:35 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
OMG! I had the same feeling listening to these, as I did hearing Los Labotomy for the first time. Different, I know, but the same wow feeling. There's no point in me highlighting any particular aspect of this performance, as it's all beyond right up there. I echo the YT calls for some original material from these guys, & for my personal taste only, I'd like to see a complementary guitarist in there & a bit of grit in the vibe.

Come on Andy I was digging his nail polish. The love the irony in the way he looks and the way he plays. Polar opposites. They makes it even more betta!!!
Old 05-01-2012, 01:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
OU

OUCH!!! Your probably right but I hope not. We have enough watered down pop stars today. This kids got soul I hope he sticks with his band mates. If they put out a cd or the covers their doing, the way they do it. I would totally buy it. I guess we shall see, it was just nice for me to listen to something and like "keep it simple said get that WHOW feeling. I was moved. I love that. Plus you get extra props for spelling Jamiroquai. LOL
I wouldn't have gotten it wrong if not for Google :)

If this is a project of love and the players are making their money elsewhere, then the evil future I have foretold may not come to pass!
Old 05-01-2012, 05:24 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Well they made my day yesterday so that has to count for something. I hope they do well. I really do.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Well they made my day yesterday so that has to count for something. I hope they do well. I really do.
I think they're talented enough to go wherever they want to go. They're all great but that vocalist / keyboardist is a force, even if he sounds almost exactly like Stevie Wonder.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
that vocalist / keyboardist is a force, even if he sounds almost exactly like Stevie Wonder.
And that's an accolade that very few could carry with any credibility, but this guy can :) Pol, I agree, as much as I'd like these three to stick together, & as much as we believe in the value of the superb drummer & bass player (especially the bass player IMO), the business bastards of this world will likely see it differently. I'm totally with Joe on this though, separating these guys, & killing the very special vibe they have, would be criminal, but the music business is a shady pit with a homogeneous bent :(
Old 05-01-2012, 06:44 AM
"Uncle Larry"

The term "tight as a bugs ass" comes to mind. Ultra precise high level musicianship combined with soul. It's almost too good. A little looseness wouldn't hurt them.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
And that's an accolade that very few could carry with any credibility, but this guy can :) Pol, I agree, as much as I'd like these three to stick together, & as much as we believe in the value of the superb drummer & bass player (especially the bass player IMO), the business bastards of this world will likely see it differently. I'm totally with Joe on this though, separating these guys, & killing the very special vibe they have, would be criminal, but the music business is a shady pit with a homogeneous bent :(
I always think of a local band in the 80s, Rupert B Funkafied Filth. First time I saw those young guys playing I felt sick - the drummer was heaps younger than me but 100x better. They were playing some wicked James Brown style funk and I became a regular.

So I was disappointed to hear their single which, to me, was a sellout: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSvo-w6xKZo

It's a great little soul song in hindsight, but they were playing so far within themselves it was a shock after hearing them tear it up at gigs. At least with the midset I had then. But most listeners aren't musos so most serious players have to take out a lot of notes to make a living because regular punters find it hard to keep up. The bassist, Steve Balbi, went on to make it big with Noiseworks. Not sure what happened with the others.

Who knows? I like what Dirty Loops are doing - appealing pop with hot playing - they even play a Justin Beiber cover and make it sound cool! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjVGJ3YFDc8

Have to say that bassist needs to stay out of prison ...
Old 05-01-2012, 07:00 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
I always think of a local band in the 80s, Rupert B Funkafied Filth. First time I saw those young guys playing I felt sick - the drummer was heaps younger than me but 100x better. They were playing some wicked James Brown style funk and I became a regular.

So I was disappointed to hear their single which, to me, was a sellout: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSvo-w6xKZo

It's a great little soul song in hindsight, but they were playing so far within themselves it was a shock after hearing them tear it up at gigs. At least with the midset I had then. But most listeners aren't musos so most serious players have to take out a lot of notes to make a living because regular punters find it hard to keep up. The bassist, Steve Balbi, went on to make it big with Noiseworks. Not sure what happened with the others.

Who knows? I like what Dirty Loops are doing - appealing pop with hot playing - they even play a Justin Beiber cover and make it sound cool! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjVGJ3YFDc8

Have to say that bassist needs to stay out of prison ...
Now why would you say that about the bassist. To be honest and I know everyone would pick the vocalist but if they were to split up I say the bassist picks up a major tour with a major artist quickly. Bass players with his style, look, and groove are hard to come by. I would hire that guy in a heartbeat.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Now why would you say that about the bassist. To be honest and I know everyone would pick the vocalist but if they were to split up I say the bassist picks up a major tour with a major artist quickly. Bass players with his style, look, and groove are hard to come by. I would hire that guy in a heartbeat.
He's a very pretty boy, Joe :)

Yes, he seems to be in that line of bassists that stems from Jaco. I saw in the bio that he's into Tribal Tech, which doesn't surprise me at all. Agree, he'll never be short of gigs. I singled out the vocalist because he's such a hot keys player as well - players like that can write a lot of music.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:59 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
He's a very pretty boy, Joe :)

Yes, he seems to be in that line of bassists that stems from Jaco. I saw in the bio that he's into Tribal Tech, which doesn't surprise me at all. Agree, he'll never be short of gigs. I singled out the vocalist because he's such a hot keys player as well - players like that can write a lot of music.
What is there web site url if you please.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
What is there web site url if you please.
http://www.dirty-loops.com/
Old 05-01-2012, 09:04 AM
Gold Member

I actually think that the bassist does the most of them and is the most well known.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:27 AM

Honestly I really don't like that band....it even gets really difficult for me to listen to them...
I love music, the idea of making something of your own, of just express yourself through music, and listening to this band I feel like the just want to show off their chops.
I don't feel any dinamic, any "soul" in that. And that's irritating me, and even making me sorry, 'cause I believe that if you're such a talented musician you should put your talent in making music, not in making covers where you wanna just play all the crazy stuff you're able to.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:06 PM
Silver Member

I enjoy these guys, but the sound gets tiring over time - all the music is done in the same style and I feel like Im riding in an elevator.

F
Old 05-01-2012, 05:11 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
The term "tight as a bugs ass" comes to mind. Ultra precise high level musicianship combined with soul. It's almost too good. A little looseness wouldn't hurt them.
Totally agree, the musicianship's outstanding, the covers are interesting and so well executed , but I would like to hear something a bit more organic, more raw and less shiny and "in yo face" vibe, they certainely have a huge potential, and providing they could come with their own inspired written material, they could be huge :)
Old 05-01-2012, 05:30 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian View Post
I enjoy these guys, but the sound gets tiring over time - all the music is done in the same style and I feel like Im riding in an elevator.

F
I agree. That style and sounds does get tiring.
Good players , but it might help to do originals instead of different arrangements of not so good songs to begin with.
I'd rather listen to Jamiroquai.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:15 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I agree, Almost too perfect and too full, like what you expect to hear from university schooled musicians that are playing covers in a band on a talk show or something like that. Technically perfect and the chops and scales played right out of a book as if it was programmed into a machine but lacking the feel and or personality that adds character to music and or makes it musical.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:21 PM
"Uncle Larry"

The thing is, all these players are young. With 20 years of seasoning and maturity...they already are a force to be reckoned with. That singer is off the charts. I tell ya, it's tough. You get to be that good and it still isn't enough for some lolo. Those people have my respect to be at that level at that age. I think they have to engineer in some imperfection on purpose lol because I'm not sure they are capable of playing anything less than amazing lol
Old 05-01-2012, 06:30 PM
Platinum Member

Right from my first post on this I said they'd benefit from a guitarist & some grit. I'm sticking to that. I took their age into account too, so I'd expect a journey influenced injection of bollocks & feel as a matter of organic growth. One thing I can't agree on, is the perception of a lack of musicality from the bass player. I love his feel, his interpretation, his deep groove. Nothing sterile about him whatsoever IMO. Like Joe, I'd hire him in a heartbeat. Hell, he can hire me (ok, that's a stretch, lol)

Anyhow, I'm off to do a spot of studio rehearsal this evening. I'll just be bashing out my usual crap with the band, & being very happy about it too :)
Old 05-02-2012, 04:14 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

I threw up this post just to see the reaction of people. I have nothing to gain from it I'm not in the band. So all opinions are welcome. Before I left for the studio today I checked the post real quick this morning and was so surprised that some of you didn't like the band. I was like whow!! how can you not dig or at least respect this. Then I turned on some "pro" players onto it today. Sure enough my keyboard player dosen't like it either. My bass player likes it and so did most of the engineers but for sure their were a few people that just don't dig it. Just goes to show you YA NEVER KNOW!!

The lack of guitar player was mentioned by of course "the guitar players in the studio". lol, but I like the fact their is no guitar player. It makes the groove deeper man, the space is there between the drummer and bass player. When you listen to them don't listen to what they are playing, listen to what their not playing. That's what makes it special, thats what makes the hits they do so much cooler without a guitar player mudding it up. Plus it grooves so hard.

Anyone who said anything bad about the bass player flat out i'm sorry and I know this is rude but your an idiot. LOL!! Sorry. its been a long day. The bass player is awesome in every facet I would want a bass player to be. The kids got it all, hes got pocket and knows how to groove and when to play simple, he picks his spots when to slap and his fingering via Jaco is perfect. Hes' musical and he grooves hard. Plus he makes it look effortless. So there you have my take on the band I have noting to do with. I just was impressed by it. Thats it. I respect all opinions and appreciate all the input on this thread. I was very surprised that some people don't like it. Even my fellow musicians. lol. So I learned a few things along the way too.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:47 AM
Platinum Member

Great players, no question about it. But I'm sorry - I'll take the original any day. That's like hearing Vinnie Colaiuta subbing for Ringo and subbing in a virtuoso for every other Beatle for good measure.

I'll be impressed if their songwriting skills are even half what their playing skills are.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:43 AM

its exactly the opposite of the things i like in music. clearly they are ridiculously talented dudes. no question. but to me there wasn't an ounce of soul in there. the only thing that was coming across to me was "check out all these slick licks i know!!!!!! IM RAD!!!" no thanks.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
[...] I respect all opinions and appreciate all the input on this thread. I was very surprised that some people don't like it. Even my fellow musicians. lol. So I learned a few things along the way too.
What's strange in people not licking them? :)
If everyone should like a band just because of their skill, that would be a boring world...
I undestand how someone like to hear people showing chops and playing at their best, but my taste makes me like people that have something more to say on the "musical" side. ;)
Old 05-02-2012, 05:45 PM
Platinum Member

Very talented players no doubt.

But musically, I can't get through 1/2 of any of their tunes before I want to turn it off. Not my cup of tea at all. Talent was off the charts, but it came off rather bland to me.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:14 PM
Platinum Member

The dirty loops are awesome, I like them.
And indeed, their abilities at that age are ridiculous!