DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 04-12-2012, 08:42 PM

Default Stick recommendations?

Im sure this has come up a bunch, so i apologize.

As a newbie looking for a pair of sticks.. what do you suggest?

I play country and rock music. Heaviest i play is something like Soundgarden.

All i have been playing with so far is a pair of sticks from a hard rock cafe.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:05 PM

Default Re: Stick recommendations?

Anything in about a 5A size should do the trick for you. I think you will find the 5A's to be a tad smaller around than the Hard Rock sticks you are used to (seems the ones I have seen are on the big side). But, the 5A's are a nice all around stick. There are the name brands, Vic Firth, Pro Mark, etc. that usually run about 8 bucks a pair, but as I stated in a recent thread, I prefer the generic bulk packs. They last about as long and are much cheaper.
You just need to find the stick that feels right to you. Then, experiment with tip types (wood or plastic) and then tip shape (which I recently found out can make a big difference in sound).
I prefer wood tips as the plastic tips are too "pingy" on the cymbals for my taste. But, like most everything else drum related, it comes down to personal taste.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:08 PM

Well, I think the first and most obvious is to go to a drum store and try a bunch of them!

When I started out I used 5As and 5Bs... also 8Ds (thinner).
As time went by I noticed that thicker sticks reduced the strain on my hands... so now I use SD2 sticks by Vic Firth.

Apart form grip comfort and control, which is the priority, the next aspects would be:

Sound:
Nylon tips would be brighter and have a clearer brighter cymbal tone... also more durable.
Wood tips, sound more natural... warmer... a closer sound between drums and cymbals.

The shape of the tip also influences this... depending on your stroke technique, I find that for myself, round tiips work better for me, for a consistent sound.

Style:
Sticks with thin shafts won't work as well if you do a lot of rimshots... very thick sticks would be a bit more awkward for soft fast playing.

As a final note, I would add the following:
PLAY WHAT FEELS RIGHT FOR YOU regardless what "the norm is"... sticks are the conection between your body and the instrument... they are to drumming what tires are to a car... BE SURE to have sticks you feel comfortable with and also DON'T BUY CHEAP STICKS... it's not worth it there's plenty of good ones, Vic Firth, Promark, Vater, Zildjian, etc.

And don't be afraid to experiment... getting comfortable with 2 or 3 different types of sticks will help develop your touch and tone... your dynamics and technique.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:04 PM

Peter Erskine Ride Stick. That is all.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:17 AM

Vic firth dave weckl signatures. Really nice sticks
Old 04-28-2012, 01:02 AM
Gold Member

Im a Vic firth guy myself and prefer a nylon tip for the crisper sound on the rides and the bigger difference in sound when switching between the shoulder and the tip while playing the hats. Size wise I like a 5b but played many different makes models and sizes before settling in on the VF5bn's as my main stick. I would probably recommend getting both a set of 5a and 5b and play around with both then you will have a better idea of what you like better. If you only buy 1 set them you may just get used to it because its all you have. The difference in size between the 5a and 5b will give you a better feel for whats comfortable and you may find you want something thicker like a #2 or thinner like a #7 or you may like one of the 5's but want something longer like a 5ax or 5bx. Once you find the stick thats comfortable for you then you can get a couple of them in wood and nylon tip to see which of those you prefer or maybe something with a longer / shorter taper or a thicker / thinner shoulder. You may also find you like a couple different types of sticks and tips for different types of music. Only you can figure out which stick is best for you and your style but when you find the right one you will know.