Silver Member

Default good ol' coated ambassadors

I recently outfitted my kit with coated amb's over clear amb's
and this is without a doubt the best head config I have tried
on my Tama Imperialstal drums.

Holy delicious gooey tone batman!

Call it a freak accident of superb tuning or new head syndrome
whatever...these heads were effortless to tune and sound PERFECT

right now I have them tuned pretty much JAW with the reso heads tuned quite higher
and to me, my toms have never sounded better..warm, open, punchy and the floor tom is as low as I have ever had it and still sounds clear and pure.

as of now my take on heads is - there is a reason why 10mil single ply heads
are considered 'standard' and I have heard it said coated ambassadors are the number 1 recorded head...I can sure testify to why...

anyway..to most of you this isn't news but If you are considering a head change and haven't tried good ol' coated over clear ambassador combo - I say give it a try!
You might just be impressed!

no need to go looking at all the fancy new head designs out there
the good ol' remo ambassador is the best I've personally tried to date
and I have tried a lot of heads:

Evans Ec2, Evans Ec reso, Emperor clear and coated, Vintage emperor, Ambassador X, Evans gplus..
Evans G2 coated, Attack single ply clear, aquarian classic clear, pinstripe,
Fiberskyn (the worst eva!) LOL

Some report trouble with remo coating wearing off prematurely and all I can say
is I have had a coated Ambassador on my 12" tom previously and it probably has
been hit at least 2000 times and although it is worn and dished out - the coating is perfectly intact...so I don't know what to say about that..none of my Emperors or ambassador x's have had any coating trouble either...
Old 03-07-2012, 11:18 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: good ol' coated ambassadors

Yeah man, many people swear by Coated Ambs.. I'm thinking about a head swap these days.. I may just have to give them a try.

Glad you're enjoying your new heads.

Cheers!
Old 03-08-2012, 02:16 AM
Platinum Member

Good 'ol Ambassadors for me too. For many years now.
Bass drum batter as well, and a Coated or Smooth white on the reso.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:32 AM
Platinum Member

Absolutely!!! I found the same after going through many trials of different heads (EC2, G2, Emps, clears coated) and for me coated Amb batters on coated Amb resos work/sound the best. Make your drums sing with one simple head choice.
I also use a coated Amb reso on the kick drum too, but have yet to "dare" to try an Amb on the kick batter (PS3 for me there).
Old 03-08-2012, 02:48 AM
Platinum Member

+1 for me, too. Coated over clear Ambassadors. Just tried this combo for the first time recently and I'm sold on it. I now see why they're "standard". I didn't used to think "standard" was appropriate or somehow good enough for how I played; seemed like only old out-of-touch geezers were using them. So, I guess that's what I am now! I think it's the simplicity of design that doesn't get in the way of letting the drums speak with maximum richness and openness.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:58 AM
audiotech

I'm playing coated Ambassadors over coated Ambassadors on my DW Classic drums and that combination sounds really nice.

Dennis
Old 03-08-2012, 06:00 PM

I am one of those 'old geezers' who got back into drumming a few years ago after a pretty long hiatus. Tried some Evans heads right away..well they were nice but there was something lacking, so back to the Remo Ambassador and the sound I grew up with for toms. Love them on rack toms, but i prefer a Coated Vintage Emperor on my larger floor tom. They seem to give out a better thump. Still use clear Ambassador resos everywhere.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:27 AM
Silver Member

Hey guys, how do the coated or cleat amabassadors as batters hold up for heavier playing styles like rock / hard rock? I never dent my two ply heads like aquarian super 2's, emperors or g2's so I am just curious.

Thanks
Old 03-09-2012, 07:18 AM
Platinum Member

Ya some heavy hitters prefer an Emp. I think Ambs hold up fine. I play rock but am not an 'athletic' drummer....economy of movement I've been told big denting is really only an issue if the stick is hitting at a wrong (too high) angle.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:38 AM
Platinum Member

I fully, nay, joyously endorse coated ambassadors, the drum heads with built-in soul, and I applaud this thread.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:22 AM

I've got coated Ambassadors with Ambassador resos on my precious Rogers. Love 'em and see no reason to look further. They are just right for me.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:02 AM
Silver Member

Yep CA's for me too. Not only does the coating stay on but they last longer than coated g1's.

Recently I had a G1 coated on my snare because my local drum shop didn't have any coated ambassadors that day (go figure) and the g1 sounded good not great but when it went it went.
You can pinpoint the strike on the drum when the head had expired. It lasted 3 weeks. I'ld say I put about 15 hours on it.
Remo amb's last way longer.
1 thing about the G1's though, they sound good out of the box. Remo amb's on the other hand have asettling in period before they sound amazing.
Sorry for going off topic. Ya thumbs up for coated ambassadors.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:50 AM

Yay! More love from me for Amb coated over clear. Although I too use Emps on floor toms.

Remote coated all the way
Old 03-18-2012, 01:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN View Post
Hey guys, how do the coated or cleat amabassadors as batters hold up for heavier playing styles like rock / hard rock? I never dent my two ply heads like aquarian super 2's, emperors or g2's so I am just curious.

Thanks
I play heavy rock in one band, and hit solidly hard in all 4 of my bands. I do use dynamics, so I'm not "pounding" 100% of the time, but I don't dent a Coated Ambassador.
I think it's the White film TBH. Clears will dent.

I use a double butt stick as well, but I don't dent those heads. I don't play into the head though, so that's probably why.
My tom is angled slightly to match my hand angle, but my ft's are flat.

For a rock/heavy player, even though a Clear-Clear combo sounds cool, I don't think the Clear for a batter would be the most durable choice for someone that couldn't (or didn't want to) afford to keep a stock of spares, or for someone who doesn't like changing heads after a head stopped sounding good.
Coated Ambassadors are tougher.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:11 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
I play heavy rock in one band, and hit solidly hard in all 4 of my bands. I do use dynamics, so I'm not "pounding" 100% of the time, but I don't dent a Coated Ambassador.
I think it's the White film TBH. Clears will dent.

I use a double butt stick as well, but I don't dent those heads. I don't play into the head though, so that's probably why.
My tom is angled slightly to match my hand angle, but my ft's are flat.

For a rock/heavy player, even though a Clear-Clear combo sounds cool, I don't think the Clear for a batter would be the most durable choice for someone that couldn't (or didn't want to) afford to keep a stock of spares, or for someone who doesn't like changing heads after a head stopped sounding good.
Coated Ambassadors are tougher.
Thanks Karl...Im going to try some coated ambassadors on my Gretsch New Classics, I have clear emperors on there now but need to play them a few more weeks before I swap them out. I have some new Coated Ambassador X's but not sure if I want to use those on the new classics.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:08 PM

Yep... It took me up until a year and a half ago to find that coated ambassadors are the perfect match for my toms with ebony ambassadors on my reso's. I know evans make some decent heads, but with the coated g1s or g2s, I could never get them tuned right. I use them for my 12" and 14" snares too (or a CS sometimes)

First time I threw ambassadors on the top and bottom, I was pleased at the ease of tuning and the wide range I can tune with the head combo. Didn't have to stretch or seat them, and my ears were pleased with the sound. Hell, my bandmates were surprised with the sound I got from them. They could actually hear it resonate.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:14 PM

Our ears and minds are almost PREDETERMINED to like that sound... it has been a part of music for half a century. It's one of those things that can't miss... Ambassadors are like Coca Cola of the drumming world... they can go with anything... tuned high, mid, low... thin shells, thick shells, you name it.

And on snare drum, no matter what tom and bass drum heads I use at the moment, there's no way I can find something to suit me better than coated ambies.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:55 PM
Gold Member

Never had much luck with them, I find they sound plasticy and even when the coating didnt chip off I found the head went dead in 3 to 4 weeks of regular playing. I have found the Aquarian texture coated and or my favorite the texture coated studio x last at least 3 to 4 times longer before going dead, the coating is almost bullet proof and they sound much fuller and warmer plus they sell for less money.

Last edited by tard; 04-27-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:31 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillermo View Post
And on snare drum, no matter what tom and bass drum heads I use at the moment, there's no way I can find something to suit me better than coated ambies.
Yup, me too, on the snare, it's the only way to go.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:58 AM

Coated A's over coated A's with vintage Ludwig 3 ply Classics in the middle = heaven on Earth
Old 04-17-2012, 06:04 PM
Silver Member

ok...so I fitted some rack toms last night with Coated Ambassadors and love their simplicity of tuning and also love the end result sound and feel but I already have a little bit of coating chipping off in the center of my 10"rack tom.

My question is how much will that affect the sound or is it more of an aesthetic thing?

Thanks
Old 04-17-2012, 11:22 PM
Platinum Member

Are coated Ambassadors really that different than Evans coated G1's? Are they different than all of the other one-ply coated heads out there?

Peace, goodwill, and blues.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / ProMark
Old 04-19-2012, 03:55 PM
Platinum Member

I didn't find a difference in feel, but the overall "crispness" on my drums was different.
I think the Remo might be slightly more dry. I like the jazzy tone from them.
It's probably not noticeable through a PA, but to my ears, an Ambassador is a little more crisp in attack, and nice and full in tone.

The G1 sounds really good, and maybe a little more "solid" in the attack where it gets to the whole tone of the drum a little quicker. I'm talking milliseconds, but behind a kit, I could hear it.
I had G1 coated top and G1 clear bottom, and it was a little too.... "standard rock sound everyone had" maybe to my ear. It was a good sound, just not what I'm after. They were quality heads, and never failed in anyway, so that was not an issue for me.

I actually really liked the Evans UNO58 heads though. Those were discontinued around 2000-2001 I guess.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:35 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tard View Post
Never had much luck with them, even when the coating didnt chip off I found the head went dead in 3 to 4 weeks of regular playing. I have found the Aquarian texture coated and or my favorite the texture coated studio x last at least 3 to 4 times longer before going dead and the coating is almost bullet proof plus they sell for less money.
I second this.. Remo are great don't get me wrong,I've played them since I was 8, but after playing Aquarian and having the same Response 2 (coated) on my kit for several months now and they still look the same as they did when I brought them home, and they are considerably cheaper than any other counterpart where I live, it's a no brainer. Being a musician that is not signed you have to cut costs and corners in order to do something you love and survive.
So Aquarian heads are great, they sound just as good if not better and the best thing is no coating comes off....
Plus the sealing process of these heads is incredible, when you seat the head thee is no cracking sound like the others, guess its the glue cracking etc...
Aquarian, if you have not tried them.. Try them.

Last edited by piperdoog; 04-19-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:47 PM
Platinum Member

I really liked those Evans UNO58 1000 heads too. Peace, goodwill, and blues.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / ProMark
Old 04-25-2012, 07:21 AM
Silver Member

Thought I would share. In case you don't read my entire post I want you to know Remo came through. I know there has been talk on this forum about Remo's coating wearing too quickly. I use Coated Ambassadors on two of my kits top and clear bottom and have never had such an issue. So I walked into GC and picked up 2 14 Coated Ambs to go on a Brass Master and an Lm400. After about 30 minutes of fairly spirited brush playing at a gig I notice a large area on the head where the coating is gone. Same happened with the other head about a earlier but I didn't think much of it and replaced it. I contacted Remo about this and they asked for pictures and the number stamped on the hoop. I only had pictures of the latest head because I had already turned the other one into a potted plant base and it was very dirty. After I sent the pic of the head I did have I received an email saying they would help me out. I figured since I couldn't show proof of the first head I would be receiving one Amb. 5 days later a box sits on my front porch and inside is a Coated A and a Coated AX. Thanks Remo and Chris Wakelin.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:34 PM
audiotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by i need a clutch View Post
Thought I would share. In case you don't read my entire post I want you to know Remo came through. I know there has been talk on this forum about Remo's coating wearing too quickly. I use Coated Ambassadors on two of my kits top and clear bottom and have never had such an issue. So I walked into GC and picked up 2 14 Coated Ambs to go on a Brass Master and an Lm400. After about 30 minutes of fairly spirited brush playing at a gig I notice a large area on the head where the coating is gone. Same happened with the other head about a earlier but I didn't think much of it and replaced it. I contacted Remo about this and they asked for pictures and the number stamped on the hoop. I only had pictures of the latest head because I had already turned the other one into a potted plant base and it was very dirty. After I sent the pic of the head I did have I received an email saying they would help me out. I figured since I couldn't show proof of the first head I would be receiving one Amb. 5 days later a box sits on my front porch and inside is a Coated A and a Coated AX. Thanks Remo and Chris Wakelin.
This is good news for you. The trouble is that Remo should not rest on it's morals. Many people like me will only turn to another brand of head after multiple disappointments.

Dennis
Old 04-26-2012, 09:04 PM
Silver Member

here is a quick short sound check vid of my Gretsch New Classics with Coated Ambassadors recently installed.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:33 AM
Platinum Member

Toms sound great. Nice sound from just a phone! Ambassadors are my fave heads on everything.
I just picked up one of those Ambassador X-14's (14 mil single ply) to try out.

Putting it on a BB, and I'll give a report.....

Report: 1/2 hour later.....
This head is pretty dang great. Fat sounding, articulate, good tuning range, not choked when tightened up higher.... I LIKE IT!
I will be using this drum at my show Saturday, & if they have another one at the shop, the other BB is getting one too.
I stated using a Coated Emp with a top dot about 9 years ago, and it's been my go-to, but this one is going to become a favorite I can tell already.

They said it's only available in 13 and 14" snare sizes.
AX-0114-14

Last edited by KarlCrafton; 04-27-2012 at 02:03 AM. Reason: put on the X-14 head
Old 04-27-2012, 02:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
Toms sound great. Nice sound from just a phone! Ambassadors are my fave heads on everything.
I just picked up one of those Ambassador X-14's (14 mil single ply) to try out.

Putting it on a BB, and I'll give a report.....

Report: 1/2 hour later.....
This head is pretty dang great. Fat sounding, articulate, good tuning range, not choked when tightened up higher.... I LIKE IT!
I will be using this drum at my show Saturday, & if they have another one at the shop, the other BB is getting one too.
I stated using a Coated Emp with a top dot about 9 years ago, and it's been my go-to, but this one is going to become a favorite I can tell already.

They said it's only available in 13 and 14" snare sizes.
AX-0114-14
Thanks Karl....I was pretty impressed with the audio quality as well on the iPhone too!

Would you classify my tuning as medium or high in that vid? To me they feel just right and while I also like them tuned a little lower my rack toms seem to be in there sweet spot for feel and sound.

I'm going to give the ambassador x14 a try soon on my jimmy chamberlain steel snare so thanks for your update :-)
Old 04-27-2012, 03:01 PM
Platinum Member

Medium is what I'd say.
I have mine around where you have them, and they don't feel "tight", and have room to go higher.
Great sounding and feeling heads.
Tried a "new" Aquarian (with their new film), and...... nope. I liked how it sat on the shell, and the rim, tuned up easily, but it sounded real thin and papery on my drum.

Sticking with the Ambassador. I put clears on the bottom for a change (coated or SW for the last year or so).

I need to stop at the shop today after work anyway, so I'm going to see if they have another X-14. If not, I'll have them order some in, & they'll get there by Thursday.
That head is pretty cool. I like the "tonk" I get with the Emp top dot playing right off the dot, but this head is more versatile. I can still get some of that "tonk" (AVH, Peter Criss) ring on it by de-tuning a rod too.