DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 04-22-2012, 12:49 AM

Default Threadless drop clutch? Hi-hat springs wearing out?

My drum teacher told me that he uses a drop clutch on his hi-hat stand for storage purposes because leaving the hi hat in the open position when not in use will eventually wear out the spring. Does anyone have experience here.

If so, everyone on this forum seems to recommend threadless clutches to prevent hi-hat keyholing. I am looking around, but I cant seem to find any drop clutches that are threadless between the felt where the hi-hats mount up. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 04-22-2012, 04:36 AM

Default Re: Threadless drop clutch? Hi-hat springs wearing out?

Um your teacher is an idiot in this regard. having your hi hat on barely affect the spring unless you are moving it, and replacing the spring is much cheaper than a clutch. Not to mention you could just loosen a normal clutch to achieve the same result. In any case the sound percussion (Guitar Center's brand which I believe is actually Gibraltar) drop clutch isn't threaded.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:18 PM

The spring having zero weight on it when not in use can only be good for it. Pretty basic physics.

I have hit hat stands that are 30 years old and still snappy as heck. I just loosen the wing nut on the clutch and let the cymbal rest on the bottom. You can get a fancy clutch if you want but I wouldn't bother unless you need to drop the hat for a performance.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:30 PM
Administrator

I think like a drum pedal, the spring is only under stress when your foot is on it. The hihat spring is the compression type and is only stressed when pushed down. Up it the relaxed state of the spring. Your bass drum pedal is also relaxed when your foot is off of it.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:03 PM
Platinum Member

Hi-Hat stands last for many decades with no spring issues.
Springs settle a bit when they are new then they stay the same for many years.
Eventually a spring will wear out no matter if it is loaded with weight or not. A cymbal doesn't weigh enough to dammage the spring. The up and down compression and release action of playing the hats fatigues the spring eventually.

I have never had a hat cymbal keyhole with a standard clutch. Hats are almost level and the cymbals turn as they are played. This minimizes the possibility of keyhole formation.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:25 PM
audiotech

Springs wear out from use, constant expansion and compression, not by being stored in one particular state of rest. I shoot semi auto target pistol (IDPA) and have many, many magazines that are fully loaded and unloaded. The springs that wear the most or "gets soft" are the ones that are used the most.

Dennis