DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 04-09-2012, 10:51 PM
Silver Member

Default Recording live gigs with a laptop & PA?

My band have our first debut support gig next week and we thought it would be awesome to get it recorded. Though, we're on a tight budget I have recording software e.g. Cubase on my laptop and I figured out how to vinyl rip so I guess it would be the same way with recording the gig through the PA/Mixer.

Would this work and what would I exactly need? I don't know what PA and stuff will be there though. Thanks guys!
Old 04-10-2012, 12:31 AM

Default Re: Recording live gigs with a laptop & PA?

Depends on your mixer and what other gear you have, and also how complex you need the mix to be. If you want to just plug the L/F tape out into a line-in or mic in on your laptop then a single stereo RCA to stereo 1/8" cable from Radio Shack will work just fine (don't forget to set the input level properly so it isn't distorting when you play loudly!). If you want to multitrack every channel and mix down later then you will need a lot more gear to do it properly.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:30 PM

Depending on what signals are being run through the PA board, you might be able to take a signal from the tape-outs and get a decent mix. If it's a small club situation, however, it's likely that only the vox will be in the PA, and you won't get any of the instruments in your mix (except what bleeds through the vox mics) unless you mic them seperately, which adds dramatically to your cost, complexity, and setup/tear-down time.

I have used a portable recorder (Zoom H4n, in my case) to record band rehearsals and live shows. The built-in mics work very well, but I've also had good success with a stereo ribbon mic placed to get a good balance from the instruments and the PA. From there, you can drop the .wav file into your editing software (Cubase, ProTools, etc.) and make any edits or EQ/processing tweaks you want.

Last edited by EricF; 04-10-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricF View Post
Depending on what signals are being run through the PA board, you might be able to take a signal from the tape-outs and get a decent mix. If it's a small club situation, however, it's likely that only the vox will be in the PA, and you won't get any of the instruments in your mix (except what bleeds through the vox mics) unless you mic them seperately, which adds dramatically to your cost, complexity, and setup/tear-down time.

I have used a portable recorder (Zoom H4n, in my case) to record band rehearsals and live shows. The built-in mics work very well, but I've also had good success with a stereo ribbon mic placed to get a good balance from the instruments and the PA. From there, you can drop the .wav file into your editing software (Cubase, ProTools, etc.) and make any edits or EQ/processing tweaks you want.
If you're going from the tape-outs on the mixer, then why even bother with a laptop, which is cumbersome, fragile and takes up space and needs power? I'd just go directly into the line-in of a digital recorder. If you wanted to keep tracks separate for later mix-down, then you'd need a USB interface.

I use a Yamaha Pocketrak for live recording and it, the Zoom and related digital recorders work well. It might look cool to have a computer up on stage with you, but it's just a big hassle.