DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 04-06-2012, 12:06 AM
Gold Member

Default DW Airlift stands

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-WUO...50FAAAAAAAATAA

These look SOOOOOO COOL, but seem SOOOOOO EXPENSIVE.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:20 AM
audiotech

Default Re: DW Airlift stands

I like the snare stand, but I'm not a big fan of the double tom mount stand. The last thing I would want is my rack toms rotating out of position while being played. I always very much like stability in my drums.

Dennis
Old 04-06-2012, 01:08 AM
Administrator

I'll put these in the corner with the pneumatic bearing edges and the tune bot
Old 04-06-2012, 02:50 AM
Platinum Member

I think they are a little silly but I give DW credit for trying.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:31 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
I like the snare stand, but I'm not a big fan of the double tom mount stand. The last thing I would want is my rack toms rotating out of position while being played. I always very much like stability in my drums.

Dennis
It has the same clamps though, the only thing about the airlift that is different is that the stand rises up when the clamp is off.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:12 AM
Silver Member

I think I'm actually offended by the level of marketing BS in that video. Hay guys, my stands already go up and down, and rotate too. Yes, geniuses, pretty much every stand ever made lets you rotate the top and base independently. That isnt a feature! And if you have to bend down to clamp it, what is the point of the thing? I can already bend down, unclamp, raise, and reclamp my snare stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I'll put these in the corner with the pneumatic bearing edges and the tune bot
Bah, don't diss the tunebot! You're just jealous that it's prettier than you are. :]
Old 04-06-2012, 04:53 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy View Post
I think I'm actually offended by the level of marketing BS in that video. Hay guys, my stands already go up and down, and rotate too. Yes, geniuses, pretty much every stand ever made lets you rotate the top and base independently. That isnt a feature! And if you have to bend down to clamp it, what is the point of the thing? I can already bend down, unclamp, raise, and reclamp my snare stand.

I think you misunderstand the product. It has EXTREME ease of motion for less stressful adjustments and gravity does not affect the stand.

Obviously it is not for everyone, but still, bashing it?
Old 04-06-2012, 05:22 AM

I'm just a little confused about the purpose. Isn't that why we have memory locks??

They make a big deal in the video of having to adjust the stands once everything is set up and your behind the set. But, if you have the drums in the exact spots you've painstaking locked into the positions that you've personally chosen over hours of adjusting at home then why would you need to make vertical adjustments to the tom stands?? Did you grow taller that day or something?

These stands just seem like the answer to a question that has never been asked.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:24 AM
audiotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun 2021 View Post
It has the same clamps though, the only thing about the airlift that is different is that the stand rises up when the clamp is off.
I understand, but at any height, the toms moved in a circular motion by just touching them with a finger. They didn't show that they could be locked so they wouldn't be so susceptible to very easy movement. In fact in the first demonstration showing the ease of rotating the toms, they quickly edited the shot as the drums started to turn by themselves in the opposite direction. This is the same for pneumatic drum thrones such as the Roc N Soc and Tama models. They'll stay put in a vertical fashion, but none that I know of will lock to to cease their movement in a circular rotation.

Dennis
Old 04-06-2012, 04:56 PM

To all the "why would you want your toms to rotate freely" people.....didn't any of you see the standard wingnut for adjusting the height on the base of the stand??? The FIRST thing that May did was loosen that wingnut (like you would do with ANY stand) to raise the stand. That mechanism isn't any different than a standard tom or snare stand. The toms don't rotate once you get everything in place, you turn the same wingnut you have always turned to lock everything in place.

The point of this is that as you adjust your stand, loosening the memory lock and loosening the height adjustment wingnut doesn't cause the whole thing to slide down and bang your toms into your bass drum or other equipment. I kind of like it. I can't afford it, but I do like it.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:59 PM
Platinum Member

Would be nice if the drums actually sounded any good! I just want high-quality, light, simple stand.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:19 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
The FIRST thing that May did was loosen that wingnut
Yeah, and like I said, if you have to crawl under/behind it to loosen a wingnut, you've defeated the purpose of the device in the first place, as at that point it isn't really easier to deal with than any other stand.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:31 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy View Post
Yeah, and like I said, if you have to crawl under/behind it to loosen a wingnut, you've defeated the purpose of the device in the first place, as at that point it isn't really easier to deal with than any other stand.
Seriously, what part of, "The stand is not affected by gravity, so you don't have to hold it up with one hand when the wing nut is loose" do you not understand?

Sometimes drummers are such divas.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:21 PM

I think this is a bit overboard. It probably has a nice price tag to. I honestly wouldn't use this stand even if it was given to me. How much do these stands weigh? I will stick with the old school stand they worked for me this long!
Old 04-06-2012, 08:22 PM

I watched the video for these last night and although it's an interesting idea, I don't see the use for most practical drummers. I use my memory locks, for my toms and floor tom legs, and typically don't fiddle with anything except for cymbal stands at a gig. I'm thinking about getting my pearl rack out again so I don't have to do that anymore. I bet they are expensive also. Most things with those two famous letters on them are!
Old 04-07-2012, 12:15 AM
audiotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Gunnery SGT View Post
To all the "why would you want your toms to rotate freely" people.....didn't any of you see the standard wingnut for adjusting the height on the base of the stand??? The FIRST thing that May did was loosen that wingnut (like you would do with ANY stand) to raise the stand.
Can you please give me the exact time when you saw him loosening the wingnut. I just looked at it again and didn't see his hands touching it. Not to be augmentative because I wouldn't purchase the stand anyway, but I would just like to see what you did.

Dennis
Old 04-07-2012, 01:16 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Can you please give me the exact time when you saw him loosening the wingnut. I just looked at it again and didn't see his hands touching it. Not to be augmentative because I wouldn't purchase the stand anyway, but I would just like to see what you did.

Dennis
1:33 and 4:50 for the snare stand.

The tom stand's wing nut was never touched and it should be obvious that it was not clamped.

And at ~2:06 Randall May, locks down the snare stand and says something like, "And now you can lock it down."

Last edited by topgun2021; 04-07-2012 at 01:29 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:56 AM
Platinum Member

I like it. It makes total sense from its perspective.

Worth the extra $60?

Im assuming the replacement gas springs are $60 or more.

Cool, another rider demand, what rock star doesn't love that?
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2012, 06:55 AM
audiotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun2021 View Post
1:33 and 4:50 for the snare stand.

The tom stand's wing nut was never touched and it should be obvious that it was not clamped.

And at ~2:06 Randall May, locks down the snare stand and says something like, "And now you can lock it down."
This is what I was saying about the wingnut on the double tom stand, no one ever loosened it on camera and the tom mounts wanted to turn on their own. I like the idea behind the snare stand since the locking mechanism is very easy to reach.

Dennis
Old 04-07-2012, 08:39 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
This is what I was saying about the wingnut on the double tom stand, no one ever loosened it on camera and the tom mounts wanted to turn on their own. I like the idea behind the snare stand since the locking mechanism is very easy to reach.

Dennis
So, can we agree that in the video the tom stand's nut was loose the entire time and that the people in the video expected the viewer to understand that in a real life situation the would obviously tighten the nut so the toms don't move away from you?
Old 04-07-2012, 03:59 PM
audiotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by top gun 2021 View Post
So, can we agree that in the video the tom stands nut was loose the entire time and that the people in the video expected the viewer to understand that in a real life situation the would obviously tighten the nut so the toms don't move away from you?
In a way. But leaving such an important step out of a demonstration is more or less a subliminal aspect in peoples minds. It makes it look as if all you have to do is grab the toms and make your height or rotational adjustments. When working in the production department at FOX I've shot and edited probably hundreds of these promo/educational videos, so I just look at them in a more comprehensive professional production sort of way. The producers always take the more simplistic point of view to make things more attractive to a captive audience when trying to sell a product.

Dennis
Old 04-08-2012, 08:24 AM
audiotech

I tried both Airlift stands this morning 4/7/12. They both work very differently depending on the weight of the mounted drums. The snare stands selling price is $179 USD and the double tom stand is $199 USD. My opinions on either stand hasn't changed.

Dennis
Old 04-08-2012, 03:43 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I tried both Airlift stands this morning 4/7/12. They both work very differently depending on the weight of the mounted drums. The snare stands selling price is $179 USD and the double tom stand is $199 USD. My opinions on either stand hasn't changed.

Dennis

are you capable of giving us a better explaination as to why the stands work differently?
Old 04-08-2012, 04:52 PM
audiotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun2021 View Post
are you capable of giving us a better explaination as to why the stands work differently?
Sure I am.

Dennis
Old 04-08-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamFlamMan View Post
I'm just a little confused about the purpose. Isn't that why we have memory locks??.
Ditto.......Im a memory lock fan. Set them once and they are good for life.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:50 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanmurr View Post
Ditto.......Im a memory lock fan. Set them once and they are good for life.
Unless you have to set up and take down all the time, share a kit between people with drastically different bodies,etc.

Also, audiotech, lets see it.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:46 AM
audiotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun 2021 View Post
Unless you have to set up and take down all the time, share a kit between people with drastically different bodies,etc.

Also, audiotech, lets see it.
You're a very demanding and confrontational fellow, aren't you topgun?, lol. I don't respond very well to arrogance. Try another approach.

Dennis
Old 04-09-2012, 06:27 AM

Lol I'm still waiting for hover drums til then regular stands seem to stand just fine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOhQ1_my9fE
Old 04-09-2012, 05:19 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
You're a very demanding and confrontational fellow, aren't you topgun?, lol. I don't respond very well to arrogance. Try another approach.

Dennis
I am neither demanding nor confrontational, mostly impatient because from my perspective you seem to be very ambiguous.

We aren't sticks4drums and mediocrefunkybeat.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:05 AM
audiotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by top gun 2021 View Post
I am neither demanding nor confrontational, mostly impatient because from my perspective you seem to be very ambiguous.

We aren't sticks4drums and mediocrefunkybeat.
Ambiguous? Show me a quote or quotes where this is suspect in my comments. I say exactly what I mean to say and if you haven't noticed, I don't stutter. I find my information first hand and in person not by second or third hand information or hearsay. I have definite personal opinions on products and never go with the flow, unless I agree with their findings. When you gain more experience of which you speak, you too will be taken more seriously with some of your comments.

Maybe "we" aren't. But I fear You have many of the same negative attributes of one of the aforementioned. It seems as if You definitely enjoy arguing just for the sake of argument.

I really don't have the time for the continuation of your childishness. I work multiple jobs and cannot sit in front of my computers for hours unend debating opinions. I would much rather be helping people with their questions and concerns. So this is being put to rest as far as I'm concerned.

Dennis

Last edited by audiotech; 04-10-2012 at 06:21 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:01 AM
Platinum Member

Hugely gimmicky. Yet pretty cool, in a "I'm a bone idle, lazy sod" kinda way.

Do we need them? Nup.
Are they a neccesity? Not on your life.
Would I pay extra for one? Never!
But if DW were to give me a few, then it's the kind of gimmick that's right up my alley.......much in the same way as carseat warmers or hidden cup holders are.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:25 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Hugely gimmicky. Yet pretty cool, in a "I'm a bone idle, lazy sod" kinda way.

Do we need them? Nup.
Are they a neccesity? Not on your life.
Would I pay extra for one? Never!
But if DW were to give me a few, then it's the kind of gimmick that's right up my alley.......much in the same way as carseat warmers or hidden cup holders are.
I would agree that most drummers would not need this. I think the target audience is for people that share drums kits with others and/or set up and take down their kits a lot.