DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 04-23-2011, 08:38 PM
Platinum Member

Default Sound Percussion Straight Cymbal stands.....

Hey everyone - so in my quest to slightly upgrade my hardware to light double braced stuff (after having upgraded my hat and pedal to heavy DW 5000 gear) I decided to go on the lookout for slightly heavier cymbal stands. Booms are out - not necessary. I thought I'd go with Tama Roadpro or Pearl 900 (again), but then I walked by a pile of these Sound Percussion straight cymbal stands new in boxes. I pulled one out and put it next to a Tama Roadpro (that costs a little over 2x as much) and honestly, there wasn't that much difference.

Of course, I think everything else Sound Percussion makes isn't so hot, but for straight cymbal stands, it's good enough to hold the cymbal where it is and is certainly strong enough. Better yet, they were only $35 each! Hell, at that price, if one breaks, it's not so much to go get another one. In fact, I bought a spare anyway ;)

Has anyone here had bad experiences with Sound Percussion over time? Especially the straight cymbal stands? I'm wondering what I have to look forward to since I avoided the more expensive name brand straight cymbal stands....buying this kind of stuff is new for me since I've been brainwashed during my youth that name-brand drum equipment is the way to go ;)
Old 04-23-2011, 08:44 PM

Default Re: Sound Percussion Straight Cymbal stands.....

Theyre stands really arent that bad for the price. Bur theyre drums, pedals, sticks, and everything else suck. I use SP boom stands, and snare stands. Ive had them since I first started drumming... Ive yet to find any problems!
Old 04-23-2011, 09:16 PM
Silver Member

Sounds like a similar story to me finding some Pulse boom stands... I've had them for a few years now and they are extremely solid, even with my ridiculously beefy AAX RBDR on one with the boom arm extended a bit.... still really solid.

You never know until you try.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:39 PM
Platinum Member

Well, I'm trying them now. I figure they'll take most abuse when I'm actually out gigging and seeing how they handle being set up and torn down and thrown into a trap case. But if I break one, I have spares! I hope to get years out of these, but we'll see. I always say the damage occurs when moving the stuff around, not when you're actually playing 'em.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:54 PM
Silver Member

I've used them for the past 1.5 years now and have had zero problems. They were the boom stands, mind you. In fact, I was so impressed that I can now not see myself buying any other companies stands.

Just stands though.. We're juuuuust talking stands here. :)
Old 04-23-2011, 11:00 PM
Platinum Member

Where I've found the cheaper stuff fails compared to the more expensive stuff is exactly in that respect - setting up and tearing down over and over again. A lot of times, the wingnuts, bolts, and fittings are lower grade metal than on higher-end stands, and they wear out more quickly.

Also, the height adjustments on some of these cheaper stands, if not memory-locked, can be less stable. (Although in my experience, some manufacturers' high-end stands are not reliable for staying put at height. Played on a Pearl Reference at the local studio the other day, with Pearl's top-of-the-line hardware. Could NOT get the cymbal stands to stay where I put them. Similar with the snare stand.)

At the end of the day, I don't care what the brand is, does it stay where I put it, does it survive hundreds of setups and teardowns a year? So far, I have two Yamaha 700 series stands that have lasted over fifteen years. I have several of Pearl's older basic cymbal arms (CH-70) that are nearing thirty years old (!) I have a few Gibraltar grabber cymbal arms. These have never failed me, they stay just where I put them.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:35 AM

Ahhhhhh I love my Roadpro stands too much :') Never had a chance to try the Sound Percussion stands, but I've seen a heck of a lot of people talk about them on the internet. I suppose you can afford less quality with straight stands.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:33 AM

Yeah the SP stands really are pretty good for the price. I used them for about three yrs. until i finally got them all replaced with Pearl BC-900's. They held up to my moveing them alot because i used them for home as well as showe's. The only thing i didn't never like about them was where you tilt the cymbal it has gears( i guess is the way to describe it) and didn't have the Uni-Lock Tilter that most other stands have. Anyway, good stands for a great price IMO.

Sabian / DW / Evans / Vic Firth
Old 04-24-2011, 06:56 PM

I've used SP straights before. Only problem was a nut for 1 of the stands stripped so the thin tube could move even if you turned the nut all the way.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:42 PM
audiotech

I've never used any, but of all the more budget priced stands, I read about more issues with them than any of the others. Most issues are with their longevity and as already mentioned, parts that are easily stripped.

Dennis
Old 04-24-2011, 07:49 PM
Platinum Member

I use the same stands that were sold under the PDP name.
I bought 5 of them over two years ago. I still have 4 of them in use with my various kits.
I stripped a screw on one of them so I simply tossed the base of the stand. It wasn't worth Heli-coiling the threads for the $35 that I paid for it. I still use the cymbal holder with a clamp.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:52 PM
Gold Member

I hanged two toms to my SP straight cymbal stand for 2 or 3 years and it held up nicely.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:18 PM
Gold Member

I've been using SP stands since I started playing. My friend who has been playing for quite a while has had a set since he started. When I joined my first band as a drummer I used his kit and later inherited one of his SP boom stands. It's currently holding my crash.

The only issue that I've seen with these is that the teeth on the boom stands can get stripped out quickly. They're still usable but this renders the boom feature useless, hence why I inherited the stand. I'm assuming that you wouldn't have this issue with higher end stands.

I suppose this wouldn't apply to you Bo because you're not getting the boom stands. I'd think the straight stands would hold up just fine for you. I've seen a set of these get used and abused for years and minus the boom issue they've held up just fine.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:30 PM
Administrator

I have three SP convertible stands that I was using before I bought my rack. I now use the cymbal arm pieces on my rack. I can't see paying any more money for stands than what these cost me at 40 dollars.

Last edited by GRUNTERSDAD; 04-24-2011 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:45 PM

I've had an SP boom stand for about a year and a half and the only problem I've ever had was when one of the screws snapped in half. I replaced the screw at Lowe's for like $5.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:03 AM
Platinum Member

Cool. It looks like I'll give these a try. But I am prepared to get better stuff if I need it. The parts stripping out is a little worrisome. I've never had that happen to me at all in all the years of having the name brand stuff. I still have my Gibraltar flat-based stands too.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:00 AM
Platinum Member

After I stripped the one stand base I just took it easy on the wing nuts and I never stripped one again.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
After I stripped the one stand base I just took it easy on the wing nuts and I never stripped one again.
It would be interesting to see how everyone tightens up their stands. I've seen some kids literally continue to tighten after the it was already too tight. I generally tighten it up 'til I get some resistance, and then push about quarter-turn past that. Probably more importantly when I break 'em all down, everything is left loose so the nylon bushings can go back to their normal shape.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:27 AM
Gold Member

I have 3 SP boom stands and I use all of them as straight stands or boom stands, depending on the application.
The boom arms are collapsable. They go right into the stand shaft and you are left with essentially a 3 level stand.
You may want to spend the extra 5 bucks for the booms so you have all the options you can. Just a thought.

Anyway, the stands with plastic sleeves dont seem to need much cranking down.
I barely tighten mine, just snug, so I hope I dont have any issues with stripping.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeularis View Post
I have 3 SP boom stands and I use all of them as straight stands or boom stands, depending on the application.
The boom arms are collapsable. They go right into the stand shaft and you are left with essentially a 3 level stand.
You may want to spend the extra 5 bucks for the booms so you have all the options you can. Just a thought.

Anyway, the stands with plastic sleeves dont seem to need much cranking down.
I barely tighten mine, just snug, so I hope I dont have any issues with stripping.
Nah. Have you seen me play? A boom would just give me too many options and I'll spend all my time finding the right way to set it up. I'd never get any of the playing done!
Old 03-08-2012, 02:21 AM

I own four for two years now. No problems, but they're in a studio and don't get adjusted much. That's where they are rumored to have problems. I have a Sabian Vault 20" Crossover up high, and two 18" crashes at medium height. Rock solid.

I'm on the net right now buying two more to use in straight mode under a 22" Paiste Full Sig ride and a 23" Meinl Byzance HEAVY ride. If that doesn't stress them out, nothing will.

Get the two pack at GC. $10 cheaper than anywhere else. Two booms for $60. What could be better? When they had them on sale two Christmas's ago for $50!
Old 03-08-2012, 02:39 AM
Gold Member

I just repeated myself :0)
Old 03-10-2012, 06:32 AM

I have 5 of the SP boom stands that I have been gigging with regularly for the last couple of years. I've had no problems with them and they still look and work great. I normally buy them in pairs from Guitar Center for $60. A great deal IMO. I'd recommend them to anyone.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:47 PM

Sound Percussion's basic hardware is fine for its core purpose. I've been using one of their stands for a few years and had no problems. I also use their multi clamps. Same as tama, yamaha, pearl, etc. Just a different shape that's all.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Gold Member

SP hardware is made by Gibraltar, if I'm not mistaken..
Old 03-10-2012, 08:03 PM
Platinum Member

Hey since somebody resurrected this thread, let me give you an update: After getting a couple of these SP stands, now, almost a year later, a couple of the wing nuts for height adjustment just bind up and I really have to muscle them to make them tight. They haven't been abused or anything, I think just time maybe the nylon inserts get so stiff that you're not sure how tight it is until the section just drops unexpectedly while you're playing!

Fortunately, I have some Pearl and Tama stands anyway, and judging by their age, I'd have to say the name-brand stuff is better (or maybe say, the more expensive stuff is better). Because for years now, none of my height adjusters on those stands have given me any problems. I have turned my SP straight cymbal stands into tables that don't adjust now ;)
Old 03-25-2012, 03:44 PM

I bought a bunch of the SP stands for the cymbal arm and boom for my rack. I pulled the upper part of the stand off and threw the base away. This was cheaper than buying Gibraltar. Peal, Tama, or DW cymbal components. I haven't had any issues with the hardware thus far.