DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 09-17-2005, 07:13 PM
schnitz

Default Jimmy "The Reverend" Sullivan

This guys one of the best metal drummers out there. Crazy fills, AMAZING db chops, and fits well with the music. I really think he is one of the best drummers out there.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:28 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: The Reverand (Avenged Sevenfold)

I do agree he's really good, and A7X just happens to be my favourite band. I wouldn't says hes the best, but he has awsum chops for sure; listen ot beast and the Harlout and about 3/4 through you and ull hear his fast hands and in Blinded in chains about 2:50 through he shows off a bit of the rudiments he can play with his feet.

I mainly like the Rev cause hes fills just fit so nicely into the songs, it ither compliments the guitar, bass or the vocals. The Rev also sings harmony while he plays, and doing that in A7X's songs wouldn't be easy.

He's not the best but i think one of the most tasteful, and i also believe he dosent show all his talent in his songs, he could probably bust out a crazy solo if he wanted.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:08 AM

I was listening to about an hour ago, Avenged Sevenfold, and thought he was pretty cool and the rest of the band wasn't doing as good as him. Oh well. I liked the song, and the drumming was nice.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:31 AM
Pioneer Member

Acually i think the guitarist in the band are pretty incredible, IMO just as good as Joe and Steive Via. I know synster went to a music school and if u listen there new CD City of Evil there's some insane guitar on it.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:22 AM

Default Avenged Sevenfold

The drumming on Bat Country is just amazing
Old 10-28-2005, 06:25 PM

Default Re: Avenged Sevenfold

I think he triggers his bass drums by the sound of it and I doubt at live shows he would play exactly the same as it (studiomagic).
Old 10-28-2005, 11:54 PM
Pioneer Member

Why wouldn't he play it the same live? do you mean it would just sound different?
Old 10-29-2005, 03:00 AM

You can use triggers live, I've seen many drummers do it - espically on the kick drum. It helps keep the sound consistant from night to night on tour. I've also herd that at one point in time Vinnie Paul was triggering all of his studio sounds for live use.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:50 PM

Default The Reverend

So how many of you know of the drummer of Avenged Sevenfold? The Reverend. He deserves to be on this site in my opinion. He's really good. And very underrated.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:21 AM

Default Re: The Reverend

I love the reverend. But if you try to search him on the internet you can find close to nothing on him. and i do think he is an extremly underrated drummer also. i still dont see why people have not taken notice of him. hes amazing. i would love to see some solos of him on here!!!

- John
Old 11-13-2005, 07:34 PM

Hell yea he needs be. hes amazing. hands down, hes over looked. I agree, you try searching ANYTHING on him and u get nothing. Its crap. He deffinitly should be looked at and talked about.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:22 PM

oh god..i hate avenged sevenfold..i think the reverend has gotten just as much recognition as he deserves.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:11 PM

i saw them live he is pretty good and even if you dont like avenged which im not really a fan he is underrated i cant spell
Old 11-15-2005, 07:30 PM

Hello ppl, I totally agree with the other guys, except that one dude. The Reverend is my favorite drummer hands down. He's SO underated, its rediculous. He needs rccoginition, and he needs to be on here.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:42 PM
Silver Member

The Rev is right up there with my favorite drummers. hes amazing. and im completly obsessed with avenged sevenfold. i have all thier albums. he doesnt just have speed either. hes got technique, like Mike Portnoy. Avenged Sevenfold is influenced by Dreamtheater by the way. says so on their bio.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:53 AM

I've said it a million times. The Rev is just awsome. Period.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:22 AM

Default Re: The Reverand

avenged sevenfold is def one of the most influential bands in the metal area right now..THE REV makes the band i think. he really just completes the sounds and he can play crazy fills...only thing i hope on the next album he plays more solos and maybe some change up parts i mean the last one was good, but his drumming was probably crazier on the first....or maybe it was just different but whateva it was awesome non-the-less
Old 12-30-2005, 09:17 AM

He is a great drummer I love his drumming in Bat Country hes insanely fast!
Old 01-03-2006, 04:40 AM

at first i thought it was all studio magic with him, then i saw him live and he hit every single note dead on. i think his drumming portreys the definition of "feel" for a metal song. a7x is incredable, i wouldnt put the guitarist on the same level as vai, he is amazing tho.
hands down, the rev is THE up and comming drummer on the metal scene.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBHC
the guitarists are ok...they mostly play catchy stuff... the singing for a7x now makes me cringe. it seems like he had a cold when he recorded that album...

by the way if u want to see some seriously kickass guitarists you should check out children of bodom and dragonforce.
haha i dont think the guitarists are quite on par with alexi of bodom, but they certainly are amazing at what they do.
the vocals made me cringe at first, then i realized they were incredably unique and mix flavors of balls to the wall metal, hardcore, metalica, Guns n roses. he has a pretty insane range too, not many people can sing that high.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:40 PM
Silver Member

One of my favorite bands. I think the drummer is the main attraction, but the guitarist does display some amazing talent. The singer isn't that bad, but sounds better when he screams. He can't scream now though because he had throat surgery.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:46 AM

Default The Reverend

Avenged Sevenfold's drummer. Most people might know their song Bat Country from MTV's TRL, which was recently the number one video. He is a very good drummer on all their CD's (Sounding the Seventh Trumpet, Waking the Fallen, and City of Evil). He's very creative and is excellent with his feet not only in speed, but rudimentally and rythmacally.

Anyone know his real name? I only know the stage names of A7X.

Last edited by giant_mtb; 01-08-2006 at 07:17 AM.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:48 AM

Default Re: Jimmy Sullivan

I've gotten into Avenged Sevenfold recently, and I must say I agree with you on how he puts the double bass in at some parts it sounds really sweet. Although far from my favorite drummer and band, they're both quickly rising on my list.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:35 AM

Based on "Bat Country" I think this drummer (stage names are the dumbest things in the history of music) is nothing more than a person who can play fast beats on a bass and has bad snare sound. Whatever happened to groove?
Old 03-03-2006, 03:16 AM

Anyway: I happen to think the Reverand is just another Hardcore drummer. I don't feel he has brought anything new to the genre, and I don't think he is that good at hardcore drumming. He doesn't display any knowledge of other types of drumming (like jazz). Plus I think Avenged Sevenfold is the most ridiculous band in existance (who would give themselves stage names like that?)

- Marc
Old 03-03-2006, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontgetfooledagain
Based on "Bat Country" I think this drummer (stage names are the dumbest things in the history of music) is nothing more than a person who can play fast beats on a bass and has bad snare sound. Whatever happened to groove?
This guy is totally right; I hate his snare sound too!!!! The Reverand has no sense of grooves - Avenged Sevenfold are talented musicians separately (you can tell just by listening to them), but when they perform as a band, I hate it.

- Marc
Old 03-03-2006, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambian89
This guy is totally right; I hate his snare sound too!!!! The Reverand has no sense of grooves - Avenged Sevenfold are talented musicians separately (you can tell just by listening to them), but when they perform as a band, I hate it.

- Marc
And I'm not even a drummer...though I was at one time.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:26 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Plus I think Avenged Sevenfold is the most ridiculous band in existance (who would give themselves stage names like that?)

- Marc
Just thought i would throw this out here, the reason for the weird stage names is becaue they were tired of people bothering them, calling them adding there emails etc. So they decided to make fake stage names... simple concept really, i don't think they were trying to be "cool" or unique. Just my 2 cents
Old 03-04-2006, 04:45 AM

Quote:
He doesn't display any knowledge of other types of drumming (like jazz). Plus I think Avenged Sevenfold is the most ridiculous band in existance (who would give themselves stage names like that?)

- Marc
Well he's not in a jazz band, so its unlikely to be immediately obvious if he can play any jazz. And there are definately bands with much more ridiculous gimmicks than dodgy stage names. coughslipknotcough
Old 03-04-2006, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant_mtb
Avenged Sevenfold's drummer. Most people might know their song Bat Country from MTV's TRL, which was recently the number one video. He is a very good drummer on all their CD's (Sounding the Seventh Trumpet, Waking the Fallen, and City of Evil). He's very creative and is excellent with his feet not only in speed, but rudimentally and rythmacally.

Anyone know his real name? I only know the stage names of A7X.
his name is Jimmy Sullivan
hes a very talented drummer but hes not incredible but i do have to say his drumming fits the music quite well plus as many have said he is quite underrated cause you hear everyone talking about travis barker but the rev can take him to town and back again so i hope he gets the recognition he deserves
Old 03-15-2006, 03:15 PM
Stu_Strib

No we are talking! This guy is great. Too bad he doesn't have 17 pages of discussion thread like some other guy that I've been known to criticize.

This is INTERESTING use of doubles and blasts and big tom fills. He is very musical, flamming across multiple drums and lots of dynamics. His drumming is very very very good! It is refreshing for someone to play this kind of music to give it some space and not just bash away with running 32nd notes and double stroke snare riffs for 3 minutes straight.

The Middle of "Beast and the Harlot" has serious chops.

My one complaint would be the heavily engineered drum sound on his bassdrums.

Last edited by Stu_Strib; 03-16-2006 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:21 PM
Gold Member

yeah, but because of the stage name he uses u cant find any info on this guy. its like calling himself "dude"

Myspace-Add me!
Old 03-16-2006, 12:15 AM

i just heard this band for the first time this past weekend, and must say i was impressed. i thought they had a good and unique sound, diverse tunes, and definite talent. i think they're coming around here soon, so perhaps i'll check 'em out.

always nice to hear of newer bands that are going beyond the same 'ole, same 'ole.

geez, i am really killin' time at work if i'm on page 14 of this section...
Old 03-17-2006, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumguyjrk
Hey Tambian89 i think your opinion hardly matters in a situation. Just letting your experience speak for it self. Granted that you can learn alot in a few years, there is still a lot of drumming knowledge that takes many years to gain. A drummer is a unique person and has the right to show it through their drumming. They have their own right to learn whatever they want, they have the right to play how good they want, and they have the right to incorporate what types of music they want. I think The Reverend plays pretty good.
Given the fact that his drum parts are not all the same and they fit the music. I think next time you say something about a drummer you should listen very closely to all their music before you judge them.
Ok: My opinion hardly matters......how? That's pretty rude of you to say; I did nothing to really attack him or you. Are you saying that because I've been drumming for just over 2 years, I have no right to express my opinion? Send me a person message if you have something against me or something like that.

I have listened to Avenged Sevenfold, and personally I don't like them. I have looked at the drum parts, too. In terms of creativity, everything the Reverand has played has been done before. In fact, Blake Richardson of Between the Buried and Me seems to do a better job than the Reverand does; Richardson is able to play in not only a more appealing manner, but has a better sense of grooves, as they are far more interesting.

Of course I realize a person can do whatever they want; I myself do it in my own band. I just think that the Reverand doesn't seem to incorporate other styles into his drumming, and his so-called "grooves" have been done before (listen to ...And Justice For All by Metallica, whom "A7X" cites as one of their main influences). Instead of attempting to encompass a wide array of styles, he sticks to typical hardcore grooves. I hardly consider him a bad drummer - he plays his style well - but I feel he gets far too much recognition, and is highly over-rated. His drumming is good, however, it is not a superior as everyone views it; he isn't that good where he deserves this recognition. When he can bring something new to Hardcore music (which Blake Richardson has done), then I will consider as great as everyone else seems to consider him until then, I don't.

- Marc

Last edited by tambian89; 03-17-2006 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:38 PM
mlehnertz

After being beaten over the head with tune on the local radio for the last two weeks I've been dying to bash this tune and FINALLY I can. What is up with the sound of his drums? The snare drum sounds completely awful. Bass drum(s) are poorly tuned as well. I also think that he's so busy trying to show off his chops that his kicks aren't on time. I also think he's not very clean in his playing.

There I feel better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital
The drumming on Bat Country is just amazing
Old 03-17-2006, 08:41 PM
mlehnertz

Yes! Yes! I love it. I'm glad I'm not alone in my dislike of this stuff.

Quote:

- Marc
Old 03-18-2006, 09:43 AM
Senior Consultant

This is a jazz drummer's opinion after listening to the whole newest album.....
Drummer in question is very very good- great time, great part selection, nice touch for the music. Good technique, too. Not my style, but objectively speaking his playing is great and he's got a lot of stuff going. Keep on rockin' Reverend.
edit: I also think he's the tightest and most technically accomplished in the band... You can tell by his time. He carries that group, I think. Much like Travis Barker carries Blink.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:30 AM
Stu_Strib

I quite like the oomph in his snare drum. It's refreshing to hear something other than ultra-high pitched crakin' snares for once.

He could stand to have a little more snare sound and a little less "snares off" sound I suppose.
Old 03-18-2006, 05:06 PM
mlehnertz

Are we listening to the same tune Stu? Bat Country? Good God man, if you thought the DW snare sound was bitchin' in the "baby drummer" thread, how can you like this snare sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib
I quite like the oomph in his snare drum. It's refreshing to hear something other than ultra-high pitched crakin' snares for once.
Old 03-18-2006, 05:28 PM

Its not possible to judge this this drummer by the song bat country. Their second CD waking the fallen, has amazing drumming throughout and I am blown away every time I listen to it.