DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 05-21-2009, 03:55 PM

Default Need Help!!!! Triggers and SPD-S

Whats up everyone. I am hoping someone can fill me in on some much needed info.

I am currently in a Rock/hip hop cover band. Playing everything from Rage against the Machine to Bon Jovi to 50 Cent and Kanye West. Needless to say, I try and mimic sounds as much as possible.

At the moment, I basically have my main snare which i use for most applications and a side snare cranked up real tight and slightly muffled for that hip hop crack.

I play samples for songs through a Roland SPD-S sampler. I started to load some of the actual hip hop snare sounds into the sampler and the sounds are great. However, i would love to ditch the side snare and slap a trigger on the main snare for samples. I would also throw one on the kick to possibly sample some hip hop kick drums(not as important)

My question is, Has anyone plugged acoustic triggers into the SPD-S? I know the snare trigger has dual trigger capability allowing for a sample to assign to the rim and the head. Can the SPD-S handle that function?

I just want to make sure that in a live situation that i can just push a button and WHAM my main snare now sounds like a Pro Tools created hip hop snare with some hand claps assigned to the rim for rim shots and such.

I hope this all makes sense. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 05-22-2009, 02:10 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Need Help!!!! Triggers and SPD-S

You could do it that way, or buy a roland pad and use it in place of your side snare.

The SPD-s has one stereo-capable input, which (if needed) could be split as two separate mono sounds. Physically, the SPD-S will handle what youre conetmplating.

I have been thinking about running an electronic pad to my left and a KD-7 next to my main bass drum pedal, with different electronic samples assigned to each.

Certainly could work well, but test it first before taking it to the stage!
Old 05-22-2009, 03:42 AM
Silver Member

The SPD-S has two aux. inputs which work with either pads or triggers.

Personally I'd use a pad instead of a snare trigger so you can trigger rim shots/clicks.

I've also been contemplating adding some electronics to my kit as well. Right now I'm thinking about getting a TD-9 with 2 PD-8s and a KD-7.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:25 AM
Silver Member

Depending on the occasion i'm using or trigger pads or triggers mounted to my kick and side snare.

When im using the triggers. Im using 808 kicks on the kickdrum and tambourine or claps on the side snare most of the time.

I have several patches on the spd-s a few with internal sound (808's, clamps etc.) and on some patches I have nothing other than midi notes. These are send trough my Native Instruments Audio Kontrol 1 (very compact and rugged audio, midi interface) to my MacBook Pro with Ableton Live. In Live I have sets with different loops and samples. These are used when I play session work and have to playback custom samples from that current band.

These sounds are played back trough the Kontrol to the FOH.

It works really well and quick and simple if you take the time to learn how things work.

It took me a long time to figure out what works best for me. So in that state of mind I tried numerous things in the past like:
Yamaha: DTXplorer, DTX, TX 2.0, DTXtreme I, RHP triggerpads, Yamaha BP bartrigger, DT-10 and 20 triggers
Roland: Spd-s, SPD-6,
Alesis: Trigger I/O, Control Pad
Ddrum: AT module, Pro triggers
Pintech: Dingbats
Apple: Logic Studio, MacBook, MacBook Pro,
Native Instruments: Battery, Audio Kontrol I
Ableton: Live 5
M-Audio: 410 interface.
Behringer: FCA-202 interface.

All in different combinations with eachother.

Now i'm using the setup I like the most, The SPD-S with a Ddrum Pro Kick and Tom (no need for snare as you only have a stereo input on the Spd and the other channel is used by the Kick, and I only need a pad trigger moment and no rim) triggers.

At some occasions I can use the real wood RHPtriggerpads from my Dtxreme I drumkit I recently bought for home practice.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:26 AM

Hi!

I'm french so sorry if my english is not really good!

Here's my problem:

I use a spd-s with triggers on the snare and kick. I works pretty good, but sometimes, when I heat the snare, the trigger of the kick plays the note too. I've check the velocity and i've tune it very low on the kick but nothing changes...

Did it happens to some of you?

Thanks!
Old 12-16-2010, 05:08 PM

Hello

Urgent help
I got a concert in a few weeks
How is it possible to connect two Acoustic Drums triggers for Kick and Snare to the SPD S?
the kick trigger enter TRIG1 and works perfectly, but where Should i connect the Snare trigger?
TRIG footSW doesnt get the signal not Expression pedal
so I"m confused, how is possible to connect both at the same time?

Thanx for ur help
Old 12-19-2010, 12:36 AM
Silver Member

You should make sure you read through the manual on this. The manual is available in PDF format at the Roland site.

Here's the text from one of their support documents:
--------------------------
Trigger Input Mode
Knowledge Base ID: 104838
Product: SPD-S

It's possible to use two pads connected to the trigger input on the SPD-S. For this application, you'll need a "Stereo Insert Cable" (Roland PSC-31L), and you'll need to change the Trigger Input mode so that the SPD-S knows you have two pads connected to it. Use the following Steps to change the Trigger Input Mode in the SPD-S:

1. Press SETUP.

2. Press PAGE right until TRIGGER INPUT appears in the display.

3. Press ENTER.

4. Press the (-) button to select "TRIGx2."

5. Press EXIT when you're finished.

------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronic View Post
Hello

Urgent help
I got a concert in a few weeks
How is it possible to connect two Acoustic Drums triggers for Kick and Snare to the SPD S?
the kick trigger enter TRIG1 and works perfectly, but where Should i connect the Snare trigger?
TRIG footSW doesnt get the signal not Expression pedal
so I"m confused, how is possible to connect both at the same time?

Thanx for ur help

Jim Martin Music
Old 03-21-2012, 12:18 AM

I've run into the same problem. I have an SPDS that I'm trying to run 2 acoustic ddrum triggers through for both the snare and kick. The triggers are xlr to 1/4 inch balanced. Then they are merged through a y cable to the "trig in 1/2" input. I am unable to find a way to split the signal from each trigger through the spds menu. When I hit the snare, the same sample is triggered from when I hit the kick.

Is there a way to assign each trigger a different sound? problem with the wiring? If the y cable is unbalanced, could that have an effect?

Thanks!