DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 10-07-2011, 02:31 AM

Default Mini Metallica!!

My youngest endorsed drummer, Charlie Emmons, from the UK is the drummer on a viral video, (about 500,000 hits in 4 days) on a Metallica cover of Enter Sandman. Since he practices with the Ultra Tones, I couldn't be prouder so I just wanted to share the link of these 8 - 10 year old kids with mad skillz from the Newbury School of Rock. News coverage around the world. You gotta love the supportive parents and the teachers. What these kids are doing at 8 - 10 years old? Wait a few more years. The future is bright. Oh, wait...now it's 1,301,000 you tube hits in six (6 days)

http://youtu.be/6CPHnZV0K-k

Last edited by Shark Pit; 10-09-2011 at 01:13 AM. Reason: revised figures
Old 10-10-2011, 09:21 PM

Default Re: Quiet drumming: Flix Sticks vs Lidwish Ultra-Tones vs 7As

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n73tyGPBnqI

I hope this explains a bit more...
Old 10-20-2011, 10:37 PM

i have the ultra tone 2.0 sticks and the kick beater... these are a good product and perform as advertised... great for quiet practise and would work well playing along with an acoustic guitar or piano.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo View Post
i have the ultra tone 2.0 sticks and the kick beater... these are a good product and perform as advertised... great for quiet practise and would work well playing along with an acoustic guitar or piano.
Cool! Thanks so much for using the ultra tones and sharing your experience.

Aloha!

Lazaro
Old 01-27-2012, 09:41 PM
Silver Member

I have the same issue as Metorn, and I can sympathize.

I am a 'weekend warrior' drummer, playing for my own entertainment, often after our three young children have gone to bed, so I have always needed a quiet stick, before I was introduced to the Flix sticks I was using the conventional 'hot rod' style of stick and breaking them at a frustratingly rapid rate, literally leaving a trail of sawdust and broken rods, and making the local drum store very happy!

The Flix sticks are so much more robust, they have a plastic/resin construction that makes them so much more resistant to cracking and snapping.

I also recently had an issue where one of the tone rings fell off, and I tore it putting it back on, and thought I'd have to trash the stick, but found that I could get replacement tone rings (I have recently posted about this, so won't bore everyone with a re-post).

I have been very happy with the Flix sticks, I use the orange set, and they have enough weight and heft that they 'feel' like regular sticks, let me do the same as regular stick, at a much reduced volume level.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:11 PM

That's why we offer replacement tips. If the tip breaks - replace it and continue drum play. I think there are a number of differences in the products, but at least we can anticipate problems like having a need for a quick fix for an expensive item. Not as expensive as drum shields or pads or soundproofing rooms - but expensive compared to a many hard wood sticks.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:28 PM

I just ordered the "classic" Ultra-Tones along with the beater. I hope they provide a satisfying experience.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:21 PM

Just got the sticks and bass drum beater in the mail today. Will try them out tonight and post more later.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:15 AM

The Lidwishes with the rest of my arsenal.

The Lidwishes on the kit.....sorry about the bad photo

The Bass Drum Beater

Ok.....so I played these for about 1.5 hours last night and so far with a few caveats I am impressed. The sticks do seem to allow one to vary the dynamic range while keeping the volume low.....The combination of the hard plastic tubing with the thinner flexible tips allows some variability in the way the drums and especially the cymbals are struck......without ever having the volume of my usual 7As. They get more dynamic range than the jstix I also use for low volume playing. These get a better response out of the cymbals, especially the hi-hats, without being super loud.

The bass drum beater gets a really nice low volume thump. I was worried about how this might sound and if I would get any volume at all but I am pleasantly surprised by this beater. I think I like it best about this system.

What I don't like as much:

The sticks are really thin and lightweight.....obviously they need to be to lower the volume but I would really like a handle that would be as thick as the handle of my 7A sticks.....I think that part is more important to me than the weight. A second concern that I have is durability. After 1.5 hours of playing one of the flexible plastic tips has cracked. I am not a particularly hard hitter.

Last edited by dorfmeister; 03-20-2012 at 03:38 PM.