DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Introduce Yourself

Old 03-13-2012, 07:25 PM

Default Re: INTRODUCTIONS: Please Use This Thread To Introduce Yourself!

Hello, it feels I've like been meaning to take part in this forum my entire life but now is the time!

Real name? Sam
Age? 24
How long have you been playing? 14 years
Origin of user name? Take a look! :D I tried all the ones I thought would be taken and got this beauty!
Your top 5 drummers? Dave Weckl, John Macaluso, Buddy Rich, Bobby Jarzombek, Akira Jimbo - I'm not even sure if these are my top 5, but these are 5 favorites
Make of drumkit? Roland & Mapex
Make of cymbal? Roland again & Zildjian
Where do you practice? At home
Are you in a band? Yes, we're named Shellshock. We have a new album and single with music video coming out in the next few weeks
Do you play covers or originals? Originals in my band, I enjoy learning a song now and then though
What style of music? Progressive metal & progressive rock, classical, jazz
Favourite take out food? If I was to ever order one then it would probably Thai or Chinese nowadays, loads of vegetarian options with that
What country do you live in? England
One really odd fact about yourself? I can rotate my head to look at you directly backwards like an owl.
How did you start drumming? I naturally picked it up during a class exercise involving learning a basic drum beat - then I started lessons. I never had a kit at home, so from then on I used to occupy the drum room at my school as much as I was allowed, I spent my entire school life trying to weasel my way into the drum room for every morning and lunch break possible.

As mentioned in the handy questionnaire, I'm Sam. It's great to meet you all, and great to be here! I've already learnt a lot from this forum from browsing - not just in knowledge but in wisdom from people with a great deal more experience than I.

A bit more about me - I am a drum tutor from home (with my roland kit) and have also done a bit of session work. My current land lady is kind enough to let me use the garage to do lessons so all is pretty cool in this house. I'm about to have an album out with my band, spent today recording a music video for our upcoming single - with an award winning actor named Daniel Brocklebank which I'm quit excited about.

Here's a pic of my kit a Roland TD12 which I've expanded a bit. My acoustic drums are in storage right now because I use my electric kit live for Shellshock. It seems to work much better for the sound we want. This is a pretty old pic, the set up has changed to a double pedal with a bigger KD120 bass drum.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:04 PM

Default just joined....

41 years old. Started playing at 13 years old. Didnt really get serious about it untill a year ago....by that I mean taking lessons and really getting in depth about technique and mechanics!!!!

Influences and drum heroes are Neil Peart, Todd Sucherman, Jeff Porcaro, and a bunch of others. It would take too long to list them all.

I recently was able to purchase the type of kit I always wanted but never had the money to afford. A 6 piece Pearl Reference kit. Various K custom and A custom cymbals.

Probably going to purchase my second "pro" end kit in the near future. Cant decide if I want a Masterworks kit or a DW Collectors kit.

Anyway....looking forward to meeting lots of great drummers here and learning as much as I can.

Thanks for reading.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: just joined....

Welcome to Drummerworld. You have a Pearl Reference kit, and you post no pictures? Oh, the horror. Please, some eye candy, when you get the time.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:37 PM

One more time. Im tryin to figure out how to shrink these pics.
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2012, 09:42 PM

Ok, got it.

The finish is twilight fade. Black hardware. These drums are absolutely thunderous. And you can see my 4 piece masters custom set in the background as well. They sound great live and its a small kit and easy for set up and playing out.
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2012, 10:11 PM
Platinum Member

Beautiful kit. I'll guess the sizes at 20, 10, 12, 14, 16? Love the black hardware, too.
I resize all my pictures here http://www.shrinkpictures.com/ really quick and easy.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum!
Old 03-13-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
Beautiful kit. I'll guess the sizes at 20, 10, 12, 14, 16? Love the black hardware, too.
I resize all my pictures here http://www.shrinkpictures.com/ really quick and easy.
yep, you got the sizes correct. thanks for the compliment. I let a friend of mine play them out one night so I could sit and hear them and they absolutely sounded incredible live and miced up.

they dont leave my house again though. they were bought to enjoy at home and do some recording with. not to be gigged out.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybelooking View Post
they dont leave my house again though. they were bought to enjoy at home and do some recording with. not to be gigged out.
Well, I know that deal. I have 7 acoustic sets, and my Gretsch Round Badge kit ... it stays in my house. Not even "in my drum studio". It stays in my house. My beater kit, is a Yamaha Recording Custom kit. And I'd gig out with any of my "other" 5. But the Round Badge kit stay's under "house arrest".
Yeah, I've heard the Reference drums, live. Un-mic'd. Great sounding drums.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:39 AM
Gold Member

Welcome to the forum. Beautiful kits.
I really dig the EC2 clears and EMAD as well, nice choice indeed.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodiggie View Post
Welcome to the forum. Beautiful kits.
I really dig the EC2 clears and EMAD as well, nice choice indeed.
Thanks for the compliments. Yeah, I went with the ec2 heads just because that seemed to be the rage and what lots of folks were using these days.....and they sound awesome....but I may try something different soon just to see what some other heads sound like.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:21 PM

Welcome aboard
Old 03-14-2012, 05:22 PM

Default Re: New member

Welcome aboard
Old 03-14-2012, 08:19 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: New member

Gérard, welcome to Drummerworld. No need to apologize for your English .... you speak/type it waaaaaay better than I do French. But man, you break my heart .... I gotta see those drum kits of yours. Here's a resize link. It's free, fast, and easy. http://www.shrinkpictures.com/ (just like some women, I used to know).
I have a Gretsch Round Badge kit, 20, 13, 16. Of course, not in the finish you have. That is one rare kit, you have.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:39 PM
Silver Member

Default Hey everyone, just joined!

Hey everyone,
Been looking forward to getting on here finally, even if it is just on my phone for now.

I'm Chunky, 27 years old, been playing since I was 15, I love most styles of music and even the styles that don't set my world on fire I still enjoy to play and learn.
Love funky stuff, latin and reverse engineered break-beat styles but I am first and foremost a metal-er.
I play in a band called Hellraizer and we play a mix of, straight up metal, djent and pretty much all the good bits we like of all the genres.

I play a Mapex Saturn Pro, 10, 12, 14 toms, 20 kick and 14x 7 Black panther

I have coated Emporer heads on top, Ambassadors on bottoms, Emporer X on snare and eMad on bass drum

17" A custom crash (I think, I've only just started venturing away from Sabian),
18" AAXplosion crash
16" Pro Sonix china which was a spare after I broke my better ones but cuts through better live than the expensive ones! Nasty recording tone though...
18" Istanbul china, Alchemy? looks terrible, sounds amazing!
21" Sabian dry ride
7" and 10" Dave Weckl evo splashes - sounds just like him! Which is a credit to just how natural his sound is and how good that natural sound is. Doesn't make me play like him though... :(
8" AAX splash
Big and small Zil-bells
14" AAX stage hats

Gibralter rack
Iron cobra pedals, double, hats and cowbell.

An assortment of cowbells, woodblocks tamborines and 12" Tama hand hammered snare for other musical situations

I don't get out on the scene much and there isn't a great deal of drummers around me so I've always missed out on the strong drummer community I always read about in Rhythm magazine so, here I am! Hello everyone!

Chunky
Old 03-18-2012, 06:17 PM

Default Re: Hey everyone, just joined!

Nice gear! Welcome aboard
Old 03-18-2012, 06:24 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Hi Chunky, welcome to the forum :)

Are you a Mick Tucker's fan? Just wondering because of your username, lol :)
Old 03-19-2012, 06:08 AM

Real name?-Richard Whynn McGuire, or Rick
Age?-16
How long have you been playing?-6 years
Origin of user name? perc=percussion phreak=because it looks cool
Your top 5 drummers? In order Buddy Rich, Max Roach, Steve Jordan, Chad Smith, Matt Greiner,
Make of drumkit?-PDP FS Birch 5 piece Tobacco Burst, Ludwig Aluminum Snare Drum
Make of cymbal?-Zildjian ZXT Series, Paiste 302 hi-hats
Where do you practice?-My room, school
Are you in a band?-Sort of, my brother, cousin, and I are recording some songs this summer but we never jam
Do you play covers or originals?-Both, but mostly originals
What style of music?-Anything
Favourite take out food?-3x3 from In-and-Out
What country do you live in?-U.S.A.
One really odd fact about yourself?-I can quote the entire movie "That thing you do"
How did you start drumming?-Joining school band in Elementary school, and taking drum lessons
Old 03-19-2012, 01:02 PM

Hey guys. I'm new!

Real name? Aaron
Age? 19
How long have you been playing? Running on two years now
Origin of user name? A multi-instrumental project that I started that's a little over ambitious and thus on a backburner for now.
Your top 5 drummers? Blake Richardson, guess I'll just say most youtube drummers take one spot... I don't know. I can't really choose. I take inspiration from almost everyone I hear. I know that's probably cliche, but it's true. I can't pick. Sorry.
Make of drumkit? PDP Z5s right now, but about to buy some Tama Silverstars.
Make of cymbal? Zildjians
Where do you practice? In a garage.
Are you in a band? Unfortunately not.
Do you play covers or originals? Covers mostly. Try to do originals but... I'm on my own, ha, and soloing isn't really my focus.
What style of music? Almost everything I can wrap my head around :)
Favourite take out food? Chinese :) Sesame chicken from China kitchen, down the road.
What country do you live in? United States. California. You've never heard of the city :) Smaaaaaall.
One really odd fact about yourself? Uh... Odd? I'm also a competition-winning actor, as well as a writer? Idk about odd. I can't think of "odd" facts, haha.
How did you start drumming? Kill me now, but Rock Band. My dad got it because I liked Guitar Hero, and I always just ignored the drums and pushed them on him. Then one fateful day... ha ha ha!

Last edited by BreatheLifeIntoAlaska; 03-19-2012 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Clarifying
Old 03-20-2012, 01:13 AM
Silver Member

Thanks!

I have no idea who Mick Tucker is?

My nicknames Chunky and I'm in a band called Hellraizer.

Never even seen the movie Hellraiser! Iw Mick Tucker the guy?

I think there's even another band called Hellraiser, just spelled differently.

Impossible to pick a name no-one has! We need to extend our alphabet!

I have to say it's great to be among other drummers, spent so long in the dark I'm excitededly replying to every little post probably getting on people nerves! Lol.

Great place!
Old 03-20-2012, 01:41 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky - Hellraizer View Post
I have no idea who Mick Tucker is?
He's the drummer of this band :))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwbgG...eature=related
Old 03-20-2012, 06:43 AM

Default Hello...from Portugal!

Well, first of all, I'm sorry for my bad english. My name is Michelle Castro, and I'm Portuguese. I'm 15 yo, and I'm learning drums (or trying to).

I play guitar, sax and piano for years, and since the beginning of this year, drums. I have a cousin, now in Germany, who left me parts of his old (first one I guess) drumkit.
I'm very curious and I love music, so, I've started to try drumming a little bit, playing alongside with some Johnny Cash, or Elvis music (without real drums in those records).

I'm already on another instrument's classes, so I cant afford a drum teacher. So, I'm alone on this, but loving this. I'm a minimalist girl, and I love the drumming style of Meg White, Ringo Starr, Mike Avory... Well, I have a very small drumkit:

a 14' hihat (paiste), a 18'' crash/ride paiste, a snare, a kick and a floor tom. Just that. I have the cymbal monted on the kick, on the middle of the drumkit (well, just a little bit for the right side, close to my floor tom). I can play it as a real ride, or crashing on him. Call me innocent, but until now, I'm quite happy with this drumkit. I'm learning with internet and tutorials, playing and pratice hard, and now I'm playing with a band (well... a PROJECT of a band).

Sorry all this wall of text. Any tips and ideas, are wellcome :)
Old 03-20-2012, 06:10 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Re: Hello...from Portugal!

Welcome Michelle. We need more female drummers here, we only have a few. Please make yourself feel at home here. You've come to a great place.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:17 PM
Platinum Member

From one female drummer to another...welcome! Check out all areas of this site for some great information and when you have questions, let us know...we'll be glad to try and help :)
Old 03-20-2012, 08:33 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome to Drummerworld. You have the essentials. The 4 voices. The kick, snare, hats, and ride. Most all your drumming will be with those 4 elements. Rack toms, floor toms, crash, splash, and china's, etc., all that stuff is just icing on the cake.
I call your set-up, the Steve Adler tribute kit. When Steve first joined GNR, theym took away his big, arena rock kit, and made him play with just a kick, snare, and floor tom. They "forced" him to concentrate on the groove. Leave behind, the multi-tom fills. And, those early Hollywood GNR shows, well, those guys were raw. Gutter-rockers. And the first album, still holds its own, 25 years later.
My "minimalist" set .... you have 1 more drum, than me.
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2012, 08:43 PM

Default Mario Borrelli here

Hi My friends
Mario Borrelli is a Neapolitan by birth and musical background. Naples can be considered the cradle of Italian rhythmical nature and it's significant musical tradition has given birth to many talented artists. Mario was born in Cercola, Naples (Italy) on the 2nd May 1981. Influenced by his dad who was a Musician (drummer) he began playing classical piano aged 8 and the drums aged 11. His passion for music started at an early age, being surrounded by instruments and music more than toys.
Enjoy Mb Videos
DRUMSOLO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlDtD...0&feature=plcp

More videos on My YOUTUBE channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/lifeford...g?feature=mhee

Hope you enjoy
God Bless you
Mario
Old 03-21-2012, 12:39 AM
Silver Member

I seem to have a lot of online friends from Portugal. I'm glad you're here.

You probably already have a metronome from your other music but if not, pick one up.

Don't think you have any reason not to love that kit. I've had one pretty expensive kit and one very expensive kit. Now I have a Yamaha kit that cost around $600 new. I like this one.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:54 AM

Default New here

Play with a band called Stereo Reform from SC. Check us out: http://www.stereoreform.com
Old 03-21-2012, 06:55 AM

Default New to the forums, looking for lesson ideas

Hey everyone, D-Rock here. I'm 32 years old and started playing when I was 16. For years before I actually started playing I also wanted to play but for whatever reason my time had to wait...I bought my first set a 1970's Ludwig Vistalite from a great musician friend who would end up being the guitarist in a few bands with me. After two years of playing I started studying seriously with my now close friend David Dreyfus (Student of Dom Famularo) I started teaching drums at the age of 21 after studying with David for 3 years. I stopped teaching when I went to school at the age of 26 to get my degree in Chemistry. Recently graduated last year at the age of 31, didn't land a job teaching chemistry and I've gotten back into drumming and teaching again. I'm trying to make cool online videos and so anyone with cool ideas please throw them my way. Here are two videos I have made...one is on inverted double stroke rolls with your feet, and the other is on a brazilian samba pattern. Hope to hear from people soon..Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCxp1...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvdkx...eature=related
Old 03-21-2012, 04:54 PM

Default Re: New to the forums, looking for lesson ideas

Great videos, thanks for sharing
Old 03-21-2012, 04:55 PM

Default Re: New here

Welcome aboard
Old 03-21-2012, 04:55 PM

Welcome aboard
Old 03-21-2012, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Mario Borrelli here

Welcome aboard
Old 03-21-2012, 05:09 PM

Real name? Mike Williams
Age? 46 YOA
How long have you been playing? Off and on 33 years.
Origin of user name? A mixture of my profession and initials.
Your top 5 drummers? 1. Neil Peart, 2. Jimmy The Rev Sullivan, 3. Joey Jordison, 4. John Bonham, 5. Lars Ulrich
Make of drumkit? Pearl Vision VBL in Birch
Make of cymbal? Zildjian ZXT until I can afford to pick up a set of A Customs
Where do you practice? Home / Basement
Are you in a band? No
Do you play covers or originals? Covers
What style of music? Rock / Jazz
Favourite take out food? Chinese
What country do you live in? USA
One really odd fact about yourself? I'm an old fart, but still feel young.
How did you start drumming? Beat on shit in the house until I was old enough to start music in 5th grade. Was playing in a College Jazz Band by my Sophmore year in High School. I've been away from it for 15 years and miss it, so I picked up a nice used kit about month ago. Now trying to build my chops back up. It's amazing how much you lose it when you haven't picked up a pair of sticks in years! Tapping on the steering wheel in the car to the radio just doesn't cut it!

Last edited by fammdw; 03-21-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:59 AM
Silver Member

Ah no! I'm going to kill our guitarist, he said he'd looked the name up and there was only 1 unsignes band named it.
what a dick!

I'm depressed now.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
He's the drummer of this band :))
Are you ready Andy?
Steve?
Mick?
Alright fellas.......let's go!!

I used to have a mate called Chunky. Hellraiser was pretty much how I'd describe him too. He was truely as mad as a cut snake. Now I've just gotta get used to seeing Chunky without the ensuing lunacy.....and imminent police presence. :-)

Welcome aboard mate.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:00 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Are you ready Andy?
Steve?
Mick?
LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzpWJx3I2DY
Old 03-23-2012, 05:40 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Are you ready Andy?
Steve?
Mick?

I used to have a mate called Chunky. Hellraiser was pretty much how I'd describe him too. He was truely as mad as a cut snake. Now I've just gotta get used to seeing Chunky without the ensuing lunacy.....and imminent police presence. :-)

Welcome aboard mate.
Hahaha cheers! Not sure my mental state us up to much either I'm afraid. Cold showers and quiet time keep me good though...
Old 03-23-2012, 05:49 AM
Administrator

Hey Chunky, welcome to the forum!
(I'm late with that, I know...)
Cheers metalhead brother, haha.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:45 PM

Thought I'd tip-toe into the introducing post! My name's John and I like cheese/whisky.

Real name? John James Harper
Age? 18
How long have you been playing? 3 year (with a pretty big break at some point)
Origin of user name? Favourite Cream song
Your top 5 drummers? (No order) John Bonham, Ginger Baker, Keith Moon, Ben Johnston, Bernard Purdie
Make of drumkit? Tama Superstar Hyperdrive in Hariline Metallic Black
Make of cymbal? Zildjian ZXT, but not for long
Where do you practice? Pub in my hometown
Are you in a band? The Episode (Facebook The Episode (North East)
Do you play covers or originals? Originals
What style of music? Heavy rock, soft rock and everything in between
Favourite take out food? Kebab
What country do you live in? The (not so) United Kingdom
One really odd fact about yourself? I treat my rabbit like I would a baby
How did you start drumming? Interest of music in general, found myself sat behind the tubs

"Mmmhmm, that IS a tasty burger!"

Last edited by WhiteRoomJohn; 03-23-2012 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Damn photo linkage!