DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 03-19-2012, 04:51 PM

Default A different kind if mic..

So my wonderful wife purchased a new GoProHD2 camera for my birthday, with the intention of using it for motorsports, however I quickly started thinking about other things I could record with it!

The cameras built in Mic is not half bad and it even has a 3.5mm outlet for an external mic ..even though the majority of you may not be familiar with the camera itself, drum mic'ing is is a skill many of you posses.

So I am looking for suggestions for a single 3.5mm mic that will do a good job at picking up my kit..I understand with only one mic I am limited, but I figure it will get me by until I have a full, proper setup.

Thank you
Old 03-19-2012, 08:29 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Default Re: A different kind if mic..

The Sony ECM MS907 in my experience is quite a good choice in these applications.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
The Sony ECM MS907 in my experience is quite a good choice in these applications.
Thanks MFB, I appreciate you chiming in.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:48 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

My Dad used to use one all the time doing basic recordings a few years ago. It performed quite well and is relatively inexpensive. There are better microphones out there for use with a camera but the Sony will do everything well and the Stereo reproduction on it is quite natural. The only downside is that if my memory serves me, the clamp that comes with the mic might not fit standard stands. It's probably worth buying a compatible clamp.

For using it on the kit, put it fairly centrally, about three and a half feet above the cymbals. Play around with placement by all means but it should give you a decent reproduction.